PDA

View Full Version : EK Pay Review. Going Going GONE!

Pixy
2nd May 2011, 13:48
Whatever the EK pay review it has been obliterated in the past three months. Unless it is over 10% overall then most of us are worse off than we were a year ago. And lets hope they don't give out with one hand and take away with the other in the form of cutting various allowances.

These are the figures since 1st Febrary. The previous quarter. The percentages are the drop in value of the Dirham against the respective currency.

AED vs EUR 1st Feb - 0.197384 29th Apr - 0.183241 - 7.2%
AED vs GBP 1st Feb - 0.168844 29th April - 0.163396 - 3.2%
AED vs AUD 1st Feb - 0.268944 29th April - 0.248475 - 7.6%
AED vs SGD 1st Feb - 0.346149 29th April - 0.33359 - 3.6%
AED vs INR 1st Feb - 12.4356 29th April - 12.0395 - 3.2%
AED vs BRL 1st Feb - 0.452430 29th April - 0.429956 - 5.0%
AED vs CHF 1st Feb - 0.255583 29th April - 0.235776 - 7.5%
AED vs SAR 1st Feb - 1.97654 29th April - 1.79565 - 9.2%

Of course if we look at the last year its even worse. Since 29th April 2010

AED vs EUR 29th Apr - 0.205364 29th Apr - 0.183241 - 10.8%
AED vs GBP 29th Apr - 0.178225 29th April - 0.163396 - 9.3%
AED vs AUD 29th Apr - 0.293094 29th April - 0.248475 - 15.2%
AED vs SGD 29th Apr - 0.372632 29th April - 0.33359 - 10.5%
AED vs INR 29th Apr - 12.1183 29th April - 12.0395 - 0.7%
AED vs BRL 29th Apr - 0.473240 29th April - 0.429956 - 9.2%
AED vs CHF 29th Apr - 0.294657 29th April - 0.235776 - 10.0%
AED vs SAR 29th Apr - 2.00427 29th April - 1.79565 - 10.4%

Some other factors to consider:

Emirates is currency hedged. They take revenue in many currencies but pay their bills predominantly in USD. Their wage bill has dropped considerably against revenue.
Currently Emirates voices concern about rising oil costs. Actually oil is not rising much, its the dirham and the dollar are falling. Oil vs Euro is relatively flat. Emirates currency hedge works here quite well.
As the Emirates wage bill falls, they are better positioned than other airlines to lower prices and increase yield so a rising oil price plays into their hands up to a point.

I dont see a 10% increase in salaries and flying pay. Those whose home currencies are not tied to the USD have taken a 10% hit over the last year and are worse off than this time last year and likely to remain so. The USA has emphatically pointed out they will not raise rates for some time. The Dirham will continue to weaken.

ERP doesnt cut it. It protects only half the salary to a max of 15% and washes out over time. Hence the most anyone can ever get is 7.5% of salary protection. This does not include flying pay, appointment allowance, provident fund, education or accommodation. Aussies, for instance, can look forward to the ERP going down soon as they have been getting it for some time now but the baseline is rising towards 1.0. Ergo the ERP will soon reduce unless the AUD keeps rising. It is based on a rolling average which is going up.

From the above figures you can expect your cost of living in Dubai to go up about 7% in the coming months. On the bright side (or dark side for some) expect Dubai property prices to rise along with rentals. they are now under valued.

Its going to be a very tough year for some as Ben Bernake continues to devalues your salary to pay for American corporate greed.

ibelieveicanfly
2nd May 2011, 14:06
yes this is scary,really!I see every month a "huge" reduction in money lost when sent home!this falling dirham has to STOP damn!

SOPS
2nd May 2011, 14:10
I really really share your pain!!!:(

givemewings
2nd May 2011, 15:19
I predict a rise in Pot Noodle Parties happening on layovers.

I know many of the crew (myself included :uhoh:) will be trying to reduce the spending on the longer trips, especially good ones like Aussie trips where the allowance for a long trip can sometimes total $300 plus!!! (1200dhs)

That's a good chunk of change especially for those crew supporting whole families back home.

I do hope though that it doesn't keep climbing!!! :\

saywhat
2nd May 2011, 16:39
On the bright side (or dark side for some) expect Dubai property prices to rise along with rentals.

I'm guessing that you are a very optimistic property owner.

BYMONEK
2nd May 2011, 18:10
Pixy

The nature of the beast i'm afraid and Emirates can't be held responsible for the falling dollar. Ultimately, it will be for them to decide if a large pay increase is required to compensate for this fact. If so, the falling dollar may in fact play into our hands, up to a point.

Regarding property, I personally think the bottom has yet to be reached. There is an absolute shed load of vacant properties available for rent and sale, with many more units coming on line within the next 12 months. Just look at all the tower blocks around the marina still under construction. I predict 2 more years before we see things start to change and then it will be slowly does it. I also think Australia is heading for a mighty crash soon, just like Ireland and others before it. Property in many parts is hugely overvalued without a doubt.

saywhat
2nd May 2011, 18:14
I predict 2 more years before we see things start to change

Couldn't agree more. I'm predicting 2012 and 2024 to be those two years. So hopefully by 2025 things will improve with property..:}

555orange
3rd May 2011, 15:27
Although I agree with all above about wall street needing a lashing... Or better firing and regulation....

I wouldn't worry about the us deficit. The us deficit is 10 % GDP... And many countries are much higher. Couple that to the fact that the us is the most powerful country in the world, there is little to worry as long as they actively manage it. Considering the current interest rates, the cost of servicing that GDP is actually Lower today than it was in the 90s when the ratio was lower. This is part of the reason the rates will stay low for a time.

I would suggest you buy low and sell high. Convert your dirhams to USD as much as you can, and invest in that currency. When the rebound happens, and it will unless you think the us will go bankrupt, then you can cash in.

However it's not a sure thing, and emirates should be protecting it's assets ie: employees, as much as it can. That is... If it was smart.

Oblaaspop
3rd May 2011, 20:36
Hey SI, do you REALLY have to be that unpleasant to every single person on this forum?

If you disagree on points of fact then say so, but you are coming across as a thoroughly dislikable chap who's sole aim is to slag everyone off for daring to have an opinion other than yours........

If you have something constructive to contribute to the discussion then go ahead, but don't be vile for no reason at all, do what I do and jump down their throat when they have a pop at you..........simple!:cool:

Dani
3rd May 2011, 21:12
I stood under the impression that EK employees have a currency rate insurance? Is this a voluntary agreement? How does it work in the present case of fallling western currencies?

Dani

pool
4th May 2011, 02:14
It's contractual. However it covers up to a certain limit only (complicated!). Additionally it only applies to the basic pay, not flight pay. Actually it covers about only half of all the above, therefor it is nice, don't get me wrong, but especially for the currencies that gained double digits on the dollar/dirham it does not cover the losses for us.

saywhat
4th May 2011, 05:58
sittingidly is obviously one of those little people who is picked on by his wife, children, colleagues and associates. Anonymity gives him power, or so he thinks. His sole purpose is to get a rise out of people, and it is for that reason that his posts are mostly nonsensical contradictory and offensive. For some reason idiots like this think that anonymity is an excuse for bad manners and poor behavior....

Schibulsky
4th May 2011, 06:51
For some reason idiots like this think that anonymity is an excuse for bad manners and poor behavior....
I think that is also the case with some more guys here...:E
Once they don't like any post...there is no holding back on attacking not only the opinion but the person itself, his nationality, his fleet, age, language, career or whatever they see fit to discredit...very brave indeed!:D

Dropp the Pilot
5th May 2011, 14:33
A Coke was 1 dirham last year. Now it is 1.50 dirhams without any intervening increment. You should be able to do that math without a calculator unless (by observation) you are a twenty-something FO.

White Knight
5th May 2011, 19:57
Man cannot live on coke alone....

Ha - depends on whether the straw goes up your nose or into your mouth:}:}

But you're right about cost of living index. Two trolley loads of groceries at Carrefour costs me about 1600 dhms now. The same items 8 years ago were 650 dhms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check 'Six'
6th May 2011, 06:35
Fellow Ek colleagues.

I think the profit share will be close to 20 weeks and the pay raise will be a double digit percentage.

Based on the number of road shows on the go. And an agency has been approached in the UK to try and attract more pilots. The name of the agency was not priovided.

In my opinion, if they try and get away with it by offering a small pay rise, it will come back and bite them in the short term.

I certainly hope I am right. Let's see?

All the best to all of us.

Check Six:ok:

donpizmeov
6th May 2011, 08:13
Double digits just like the good old days.....I still remember TCK's letter patting us on the back and rewarding us with a 1.5% increase. :D

ahhhh those be the days aye!

The Don

a345xxx
6th May 2011, 14:11
No numbers mentioned about pay rise but 18 weeks has been the quiet whispers going around about the bonus.

Check 'Six'
6th May 2011, 15:27
Ah yes. Our good friend TCK. How I miss him?? ha ha ha ha.

Our package has been under "review" since then.

I probably am dreaming, but then again, I hope I am right too. Let's see?

Apparently Singapore have announced their profit share. 17 or 19 weeks.

Not long to go now.

Cheers

Check Six

White Knight
6th May 2011, 17:24
Well all I can say is bring back TCK after the cr@p we got from the 'horse'... At least he spoke our language:p

Check 'Six'
7th May 2011, 03:17
Well yes, compared to the talking horse, anyone would be better.

Someone told me that he(talking horse) was here in Dubai teaching something at the aviation college. Wonder what he is teaching??? :rolleyes

G. Jenkins was the boss of flight ops at the time I arrived. He was by far more superior to any of this new lot we have had over the years.

Anyway, I hope it's a good outcome for all of us in EK.

Check Six

fatbus
7th May 2011, 05:15
Ed is teaching aviation management at EAC , has been for awhile now and getting paid way too much for it. A bit of laugh when you think about it.

Pay review : 9% and @ 10-15 AED per hour, ULR FTLs will push up to 1000 will end up avoiding them for health reasons

flareflyer
7th May 2011, 13:41
6 weeks????????
It would really be an offence.......

SOPS
9th May 2011, 15:00
I guess we are on a count down now:uhoh:

GoreTex
9th May 2011, 16:52
between 3-5 weeks, 3%, maybe a step, maybe no step, depends how much they want to screw the FO's.
hope I am wrong though

mini cooper
9th May 2011, 17:12
No doubt there will be lots of people there to watch and more importantly for their promotions to be seen watching, then clapping at the correct moment. I doubt there will be any discord from the office wallas if there is no pay rise, no step and a paltry bonus.

I hope to be proved wrong and would like to be proved wrong however I fear that tomorrow afternoon a mist of depression will slowly descend on the company.

Keep Discovering!!!

fatbus
9th May 2011, 17:55
Why would anyone want to waste off time to attend ?

a345xxx
10th May 2011, 01:34
We live in hope eternal!

h3dxb
10th May 2011, 03:09
Gents

any specific reason for changing the regulation of termination a day prior announcement of the bonus ?...

keep discovering :ugh:

max AB
10th May 2011, 06:32
Yes, and I remember the year we were told we didn't need a pay rise because the USD was so strong...

BYMONEK
10th May 2011, 11:27
Pixy

Are you holding Emirates responsible for the state of the dollar?

In any event 12 weeks equates to just under a quarter of your yearly salary. Has the US dollar devalued 25% over 12months and if so, against which currencies?

The bonus is not a distraction. It is what it is and, according to my quick maths, is actually fairly close to expected based on the target. The pay rise will be what they feel is justified and required for future expansion. If they can get enough new guys from the US, the falling dollar will not be an issue.

Mister Warning
10th May 2011, 12:00
Australian dollar for starters :ugh:

Mr Fantastic
11th May 2011, 05:38
Is it better a 12 weeks bonus or...nothing?....
In Etihad it's 2 year that we receive.....nothing!!!!!!
Ah!...We just received a payraise of....500dhs...!!!!
Just charity for taxi drivers.....
I'll regret all my life to have choosen ey instead of EK!

dustyprops
11th May 2011, 12:04
Step (3%) plus 5% on the new step. On the portal.

fatbus
11th May 2011, 12:14
Thats it? Take more gas.

Hook
11th May 2011, 12:25
dusty, I think you're wrong. Way I read it we get only 3%.

Uplink
11th May 2011, 12:34
I read this pay review and was dumb founded.....

It has to be a typo????

It states we are getting a 3% increment if we joined prior to 31 Dec 2010....\

Then states a 5% payrise if we joined AFTER 31 Dec 2010.....

That would mean they vlue new joiners more than the people already here. It would also mean that the guys on the max increment get nothing.

If it is 3% only god help you EK you are about to watch a huge amount of people leave...

If it is a 3% increment and a 5% rise then you still will see a huge amount depart or not want to join.

I am hearing staggering figures for Cabin Crew checking out.... 3000/4000 waiting to leave. If this is true the next few months are gonna be extreme.

Instant Hooligan
11th May 2011, 12:37
The way i read it.
Those employed before 31st DEC get their yearly step, those after don't cause they haven't been here a year.
Those employed after 31st DEC(all of us) get in addition to the step, 5%.
So the new guys get 5% the older guys their step and 5%

Poorly worded at best
I.H

Kamelchaser
11th May 2011, 12:43
Extremely poorly worded, but confirmed as 5% for all, plus 3% step for those who joined before 31 Dec 2010.

Would it have been that difficult to write it that simply?

The Turtle
11th May 2011, 13:14
Flying pay?? Overtime threshold?? Call out??

STD
11th May 2011, 13:16
Confirmed by whom? Thesaurus?:confused:

BYMONEK
11th May 2011, 13:24
Several years ago, there was mass hysteria as we heard stories and rumours abound that people would leave in droves. And guess what, here we go again. The sad thing is, it ain't going to happen. There will not be the shed loads of people leaving as rumoured. The reason for this is simple. The World is a pretty ****ty place to be right now. I have friends back 'home' who say life is bloody difficult and it's not just aviation that's suffering.

I'm certainly no happy clappy but I am one hell of a realist. I'll believe it when I see for my own eyes when the masses leave. Where will they all go to? How many Companies have massive cash reserves and a strategic plan that ensures good short term security and probably long term too? As pilots, we're even more bound by these benefits. That's why there's no need to offer a further step to those already on step 20. (or whatever the step is now because they're too paraniod to tell us).

Pixy

Perhaps you should engage brain before posting in such a condescending tone. May I remind you of line one in your post;

'Whatever we get we lost it in the last year through currency devaluation'

So, my reply was based on that. We received a profit share bonus of 12 weeks. That equates to 23% of our salary. The currency would have had to have devalued by 23% or more to have lost the benefit of the bonus. And as for your claim of having given specific figures, excuse me for not paying attention, but where are these figures?

The usual 'EKmedia' brigade gets tiresome after a while. Change the record.

Payscale
11th May 2011, 15:17
Thanks for the profit share, but the payrise barely covers inflation. :ooh:

flareflyer
11th May 2011, 15:25
English is not my primary language but what TCAS wrote is not that clear......
is that those who joined before 2011 will get 3+5 and those who joined in 2011 will get 5% ???????:}:}:8

Flare

Instant Hooligan
11th May 2011, 15:29
Flare,
Yes, that's what it means

5star
11th May 2011, 16:57
It looks like the Talking Horse, who wrote the OM-A just over a year ago, indeed contributed to TCAS pay review letter. Open to many interpretations...
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Divide et impera....

Can anyone shed some more light...3pct or 8pct does make a difference to my pay check.

fourgolds
11th May 2011, 17:02
Any creative ideas as to how we can compensate between the difference between inflation and the payrise ( whether its 3 or 5 %). I have one :ok:

BigGeordie
11th May 2011, 17:05
What is the rate of inflation in Dubai at the moment? The "official" one and the "real" one.

ekpilot
11th May 2011, 17:24
Such a poor standard email. He should be called in for tea and biscuits, receive "verbal written warning" :E sent to remedial training and no bonus for one year. Then he should be explained that in such a diversified cultural environment that is EK he needs to sharpen his communication skills and be sent to attend the ICAO English test. Such a lack of professionalism:yuk:

Everybody I speak to is confused on such an important subjet :ugh: Just tells the real story. Unbelievable:ugh:

Keep Discovering:ok:

Pixy
11th May 2011, 18:04
The US Dollar Index is a measure of the USD against a basket of currencies. (EUR, JPY, CHF, CAD, GBP, SEK) It is a reasonably good way to look at the USD. (The Trade Weighted Dollar is probably better from a Global perspective)

The USD Index has dropped from 120 to 75.3 today over the past decade. A devaluation of 38%
In the past year it has dropped from 85 to 75. A devaluation of 12%.

When it drops fastest is when the UAE experiences the greatest inflation. It is the slope of the graph that indicates this.

UAE inflation was at 12.8% (Government Figure) in 2007-2008. Independent analysts had it a lot higher.

The graph of the US Index is steeper now that it was in the 2007-2008 and anyone who goes into the supermarket regularly would have recognised the big surge in prices.

The 8% payrise has not covered the loss in value of the Dirham over the past 12 months. You were better off after the last pay review.

We await news on increases to hourly pay, education allowances, phone allowance, accommodation, overtime, and callout.

Hopefully these will put the total package percentage higher.

Prices are going up. Rentals and Property are starting to rise too. (Aided by a flood of Egyptian, Libyan and Syrian money)

One only has to look at the increase in petrol prices over the past year to see that 8% is a joke. Petrol went up 23% in the last year!

donpizmeov
11th May 2011, 18:24
Fellas,
This pay review is being done the same way it was done in the past. Its no mystery. If you have been in the company for 6 months prior to the review, your pay increases one increment, and you get any increase on the new step. If in the company for less than 6 months, you stay on your present pay increment and get any increase on that.
Now I am not stating that the increase is enough, but FFS calm down on the conspiracy about who gets what. Nothing has changed!!!
I do hope that the 5 minutes wasted by HR and TCAS deciding on this increase didn't interupt the lunch too badly!.

Keep recovering

The don

Swansafa
11th May 2011, 19:12
Having new guys go up 5% while the rest stay on the old ladder would mean two pay scales - hardly likely.

springbok449
12th May 2011, 03:21
Swansafa,

I don't think this is the case...everyone (be it people here for 20 years, 6 months or new joiners) will get the 5%, only those that were here before 31st December 2010 will get 3% (increment that we are due) on top of the 5% ie 8%...
The guys that don't qualify for the 3% this year will get it next year.

Someone please correct me if wrong...

Like most I agree 5% is nowhere near enough....

fatbus
12th May 2011, 03:57
Springbok is correct. It's not high level maths. Not sure how long one has to be here to be at the top level, but those guys get shafted with only 5%.

5% of @45000( my guess at the top basic) = 2250 aed, is that enough to cover off inflationary Dubai based spending. It has nothing to do with sending cash out of the country along with the effect of other currencies, sorry to say.Take it ,enjoy it, hope for more next year,if it is not enough go somewhere where it is.

5star
12th May 2011, 04:59
But his indian run office didn't quite get the message...

At April 1st of every year, every FCM normally moves one level up in seniority. Every level up in seniority is 3% pay more (and these so called basic pays are published in a table someone told me once, can't find it though).
Exceptionally this year, TCAS confirms that he raises the values published in the table by 5 percent. This is valid for all guys who joined before Jan 1st 2011.
So for everyone, you will jump 1 level in the table, equaling to 8 percent more. Anyone who joined after Jan 1st stays in year 1 basic, but as the basic is raised 5 percent, he gets 5 percent more.

I stand to be corrected.

Mister Warning
12th May 2011, 05:16
One of the most anticipated (and for the pilots, important) letters of the year and still they manage to make a critical error.
Lucky they are so forgiving of any errors the pilots may make on the line in the heat of the moment.... :mad:

Wizofoz
12th May 2011, 05:45
On the portal this morning:-

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The letter that I sent out yesterday contained a typographical error.

The last section of the letter should have read:-

I am pleased to announce that the Company has approved an enhancement to your package with effect from 1st May 2011. The changes are summarized below:

· Annual step increase (equivalent to 3%) for all eligible flight crew (those who have been employed on or before 31st December 2010 and who are below top of scale)

· 5.0% increase to the value of each step applicable to all eligible flight crew (including those who have joined after 31st December 2010).

My apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind regards,

Yeah- a bit poor not proofing it.

GoreTex
12th May 2011, 05:50
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The letter that I sent out yesterday contained a typographical error.

The last section of the letter should have read:-

I am pleased to announce that the Company has approved an enhancement to your package with effect from 1st May 2011. The changes are summarized below:

· Annual step increase (equivalent to 3%) for all eligible flight crew (those who have been employed on or before 31st December 2010 and who are below top of scale)

· 5.0% increase to the value of each step applicable to all eligible flight crew (including those who have joined after 31st December 2010).

My apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind regards,
TCAS

xbleedstart
12th May 2011, 06:02
Maybe TCAS needs a drug test!

Chocks Away
12th May 2011, 08:43
Does that still leave the Monthly Starting Salary Dhs 24,110 for a prospective First Officer as per their website?
Understood you're awaiting other package benefits' adjustments too?
It's starting to get interesting, as Malaysian/Thai/Vietnam/Garuda etc already admitting to schedule changes and flight cancellations due no crew (Orient Aviation), so are adjusting packages for the better. "I can feel a refreshing breeze":p

Fart Master
12th May 2011, 08:56
It barely covers the last 3 months on inflation, let alone the last year.

woodja51
12th May 2011, 09:20
okay , perhaps this is not rocket science but that letter could be interpreted several ways..

okay - 3% step I get but the phrase -

"5% increase in the step"

this could just be "5%" of the 3% step referred to in a. hence the confusion!!

if the step was say about 1400 dhs for a captain on about 42k then 5% increase could just be of the 1400 ( like around 70 dhs) ... now I guess this is not the case but it could read that way..

I too assume that it is an increase of the basic by about a total of 8%.. lets see if that is correct.

Say what you mean and mean what you say... frankly just another bit of poor english to my antipodean brain... and a double english major , BSc and MBA haven't helped me understand exactly what they are trying to say.

An example in the email could have perhaps been a good idea... in fact the letter that I got addressed to me was a bit lacking in that I was just on a mailing list.. it didnt even know when I had joined - otherwise that bit could have been left out... not really too personal.. but they used my name like it was supposed to be...??

just a minor whinge ... really not too bad a result overall I think , but some still wont be too happy...

" a whinging pilot is a happy pilot "

O+W Wright

WJA

Osprey55
12th May 2011, 09:32
Saying it is a typographical error suggests the typist made the mistake. I expect a secretary typed up the letter as dictated by TCAS and therefore the error is not likely a typographical mistake it is a grammatical error and/or a wording error.

If it is a typographical error then TCAS is suggesting he typed it himself and therefore has shown he isn't even worth a secretary's salary as he should have proof read his work before distributing it to the entire pilot workforce.

Furthermore, a secretary doesn't get 4x bonus - and neither should he!

Flying Spag Monster
12th May 2011, 14:10
It was a simple mistake, you guys are being a bit hard on TCAS. He probably wrote it at 3:30 in the after noon, just before going home after a long shift where he had to stay awake all through the day. Those front of the clock office duties are a killer. I bet he was at the end of 5 days straight of the same pattern before his 2 legal days off in 7. We have all been there, fatigue makes you do funny things, cut him some slack...:\

Snake man
12th May 2011, 14:31
FSM....
You win the 'best post of the week' award!
That was very funny!

SM

mud mover
12th May 2011, 15:17
I am willing to stick my neck out and state that woodja51 was correct in his assumption. I have gone over the letter and its amendment several times and am of the firm belief that this is a 3% step increase and the value of each step has been increased by the grand total of 5%. ie, if your basic salary is AED34,000, your 3% step increase would be AED1,020, but in their generosity they have decided to "increase the value of each step" by 5%. An increase of 5% on AED1,020 is AED51.00.

So all those people who think they are getting 8% or more, are deluded, which is probably what the Management want them to be. Don't you think that if they were offering you 8%, they would say that, giving themselves a big pat on the back for being so generous. As it is, they are sitting in their big offices chuckling at the mass confusion amongst their pilots and future pilots, that is, for another 14 days, until we get our pay packets.... then all will become apparent.

My advice is, boys don't take out any big loans based on your big pay increases! Go enjoy an extra Costa Coffee instead!

Brutus 5
12th May 2011, 15:20
Remember to ask for your Emirates discount!!!!!

Tajfaa
12th May 2011, 20:25
You guts are just f... unbelievable.
Take your 8 (eight) percent and stop argueing decimal points!

:ok:BOF

Fart Master
12th May 2011, 21:34
Tajfaa you beat me to it. It's no wonder the management laugh behind our backs.

ps spell check required mate!

Wizofoz
12th May 2011, 22:10
So all those people who think they are getting 8% or more, are deluded,

Mud mover,

I would like you to undertake right now that if you recieve your pay this month, and the basic is 8.15% more than you recieved last month, you will come back on PROON and admit you're a fool.

If it's only 3. whatever, I undertake here and now to do the same.

Plore
12th May 2011, 22:38
The silence :oh: on our pay increase at Engineering is deafening, anybody have news on that. :eek:

haveago
13th May 2011, 02:56
How difficult is it!!! Add 3% to your current salary. Get a new figure and add 5% to that. Job done!! We are making ourselves sound like a bunch of uneducated muppets!

fatbus
13th May 2011, 03:24
You have to remember that most of the posters are EK babies, nothing will ever be good enough. A bit funny to watch them make idiots of themselves

Saltaire
13th May 2011, 03:54
Mud Mover you better go back and look at the letter again.... your math makes no sense at all.

MosEisley
13th May 2011, 04:32
This page of the thread demonstrates why, for the most part, I don't like pilots.

captainsmiffy
13th May 2011, 04:55
Well all I can say is this; if I flew an approach in as 'dodgy' and unprofessional manner as that with which our pay review has been conducted so far then EK would have fired me for sure!

Whether 3% or 8% (or even 8.15%!) is given, the letter appears to state that it is 3% and then a further 5% is added to the value of the step (making it 3.15% in my book) - gentlemen, we are not, collectively, stupid but if 2500 pilots cannot sort out and agree what the letter (mark 2, don't forget!) means then the problem lies with the authoring of it and somebody needs a slapping! And we need urgent clarification.

If it is 3.15% then it is woefully short of what is required.....

Wizofoz
13th May 2011, 05:31
The meaning was quite clear to anyone not manically commited to seeing the worst in every thing.

There are ten steps. They are each 3% larger than the one below them. Each step is worth 5% more than it was. If you are not on the top step, and have been here more than six months, you move onto the next one up.

Anyone care to bet me the difference between 3.15 and 8.15% of their pay for the next year that that is the case?

Answer me this Smiffy- Apply the letter to people here less than six months who don't go up a step, and guys already on the top step- what will their pay increase be?

Wizofoz
13th May 2011, 06:14
Yeah, I am disappointed an adjustment to the productivity threshold doesn't even seem to be on the agenda.

It was adjusted during a crisis- only fair it be restored or at least lowered somewhere fair now we're making record profits again.

Wizofoz
13th May 2011, 07:23
Fack,

Yes, what you say regarding the recruiting crisis is pretty much right.

He also stated that only about 10% of pilots actually got prop day, but of course now 100% WOULD under the old threshold.

No question it was a case of getting a lot more work for no more pay because they could, and I've never stated otherwise.

How does me criticizing what I see as something unfair gain you ire here?

Gulf News
13th May 2011, 07:27
For Heaven's sake! Can't someone simply publish the old Table of Steps and the New Table of steps which are now increased by 5%! On this new Table of Steps move one step up from where you were on the old Table of Steps (They increase by 3% each step)

I have posted the comparative scales on the Emirates Forum . Might as well get some use out of it.

joe.bloggs
13th May 2011, 10:05
Guy's final answer. All steps have been increased by 5% and all eligible (not at the top of the scale) get a step increase equal to 3% of theit current step, which totals 8%. If someone cant get this, the less said the better. If I am wrong I will admit I am an idiot

Dropp the Pilot
13th May 2011, 10:08
Could someone who knows themself to be on the top rung state what the amount now is? Something just over 60k?

yoyonow
13th May 2011, 10:33
Joe,

You are an idiot. It's 8.15%........;)

joe.bloggs
14th May 2011, 07:05
You're right :ok:.....It's 8.15% :O

Praise Jebus
14th May 2011, 09:01
We're probably all idiots, the basic makes up about 80% of my monthly pay, so the effective increase for me is about 6.5%. Others will vary slightly but since the "cost neutral" pay restructure, you take it in the shorts unless flying pay is tweaked also...

Praise Jebus
14th May 2011, 14:08
Indeed, but consider the CC, their basic is an even smaller % of their monthly total. An FG1 recently lamented that her profit share was less than the girlie who works the till in the duty free shop, due to the lower basic pay..
KD

xbleedstart
15th May 2011, 17:07
I have been waiting for more than 5 days now for my emotions to settle down before I post.... hasn't may much difference so waiting another 5 or so won't make much difference.
12 weeks bonus. Well thank you very f@*&ing much for paying me the 8 weeks of productivity pay you owed me. Whats left is 4 weeks bonus. Find it hard to get all whooped whooped over that.
8% pay raise? What can I say? The price of my rum and coke went up 50% and not because of the rum!

Hang in there boys!

XBS

777Goose
16th May 2011, 09:14
Actually the PF bumps up too; so depending on years of service 9.128% or 9.372%. We'll know for sure in 10 days. I'm content although nearing top of pay scale helps. I think it's called golden handcuffs...

hotashell
16th May 2011, 21:30
Cant say we are taking a loss on this, although it could be better.

Patty747400
17th May 2011, 12:57
You are a lucky bunch.

SIA Cargo pilots hasn't got a pay rise since 2005. You got 8-9 % this year alone... And, we got about half of your profit sharing:{

The F/O package in EK is now on par with that of an expat captain in SIA Cargo. Too bad they don't take DEC:s anymore... too old to apply for the F/O job.

Instant Hooligan
17th May 2011, 14:54
Too bad for you, great for the rest of the qualified f\o's waiting patiently for their turn.

White Knight
17th May 2011, 17:37
Too bad for you, great for the rest of the qualified f\o's waiting patiently for their turn.

Good line:E:E:E

Boeing 777-300ER
17th May 2011, 18:42
Instant Hooligan,

I don't think EK are presently not recruiting DEC's because its morally wrong.

They might be finding the required candidates at present, but will they find those numbers in the near future with all the expansion going on world wide?

It all depends on numbers and the economic law of supply and demand.

Patty747400
18th May 2011, 01:25
Yep, all those F/O:s are waiting patiently because they are morally superior to me.
They, or the mighty White Knight, would of course never accept a position as DEC if they were offered...

GoreTex
18th May 2011, 03:15
EK fails so many FO's now they will "have to" hire DEC's again

Expert
23rd May 2011, 04:39
Contract adjustment letter on HRDirect; pay review works out at 8.2% (Pre-2011 joiners).

ekpilot
23rd May 2011, 13:48
Just as if nobody noticed, the pay review is valid from May 1st. The financial year is from April 1st to March 31st. We should get a back payment to April 1st in a normal company. But just because they can... they won't pay it. How is this called in other places?

Keep Discovering:}

Instant Hooligan
23rd May 2011, 14:59
ek,
I'm sure others will confirm but contract adjusts have always been 1st May. Unless adhoc changes.

The engineers get theirs in July I believe but it's still a year from the last one.

thrash
25th May 2011, 09:56
The payslip looks fair, HOWEVER, it SHOULD look like that every month.
They can afford it and it would then be a reasonable package with reasonable compensation for living in this .... hole

ekpilot
25th May 2011, 17:27
Instant Hooligan you're right. I just checked and I stand corrected. It has always been from May that we get the adjustment.

Wear the Fox Hat
25th May 2011, 22:38
Quick question that hopefully someone can explain to a simpleton like me...

I have recently seen a contract for a new joiner, starting salary of DHS25,320 per month. As far as I can tell this is a 5% increase over the previous starting salary of DHS24,110....not 8.15% as mentioned.....?

Am I missing the bigger picture?

Vagrant
26th May 2011, 02:04
WTFH. If he/she joined after Dec 31st 2010, they'd not be entitled to the 3% step increase. For all employed prior to that date, the 5% is applied on top of the 3% step, resulting in just over (effectively) an 8% increase in basic.

Capiche?

V

Gulf News
26th May 2011, 02:43
The way this recent pay review has been handled is a fine example of how a little confusion can go a long way. The contract your friend has is correct. All steps were increased by 5% therefore the first step is now 25320.00. Those who joined before December 31st should be on 26080.0 i.e. step 2 which is 3% higher than step 1.

I haven't seen this much this much head scratching since Ed was let loose with a keyboard. Must be time for a new altimeter setting procedure.

Wear the Fox Hat
26th May 2011, 08:58
Ah easy....thanks guys for the response :ok: