PDA

View Full Version : "Building the Bouncing Bomb"

zotbox
1st May 2011, 12:02
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, so heads up!

Channel Four (UK) Monday night 02 May at 8pm- Looks fantastic!

Dambusters: Building the Bouncing Bomb - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dambusters-building-the-bouncing-bomb)

IFPS man
1st May 2011, 12:11
Wonder if they approached us at the (Brooklands) Museum.....

PFR
2nd May 2011, 20:37
Brilliant viewing - hope "peoples" are watching. Just shows how "super" clever Barnes Wallis was:ok:. What brains we had..........past tense:(

corsair
2nd May 2011, 20:43
Watching it even as I write, gives a whole new perspective on the difficulties they faced in 1943. Documentary at it's best. Fascinating to the point where I faced off my wife and insisted on watching it.

Also noted that the pilot featured has 37,000 hours. Wow, do I ever feel inadequate as a pilot with only 1100 hours.

Brilliant.

PFR
2nd May 2011, 20:49
Some flying:ok: If not a tad risky:eek: That splash back looked awfully close:ooh:

treadigraph
2nd May 2011, 21:25
Yep, watched it and enjoyed it! :ok: Occasionally the TV is worth turning on!

Feathers McGraw
3rd May 2011, 16:12
During the short development process for the Upkeep mine, after failed drop attempts at the test site off Reculver in the Thames estuary Barnes Wallis was sometimes reduced to trying to find fragments of the broken mine casings using his bare feet in the mud while submerged up to his neck in cold sea.

Talk about dedication!

18-Wheeler
4th May 2011, 06:50
Also noted that the pilot featured has 37,000 hours.

FWIW that crew and aeroplane are also shown in the TV series "Ice Pilots", and it's well worth watching, too.
Uncle Torrence showed me the bouncing bomb documentary, and I must say it was a gosh darn good bit of viewing. Terrifying watching some of the test footage, with some of the water plumes coming up to hit the tail of the planes. And the poor buggers that dropped the bomb far too low and lost the tail. :(