PDA

View Full Version : unmarried family with emirates

cheakymunkie
1st May 2011, 10:15
I'm thinking or applying to emirates as an FO but was wondering what the culture would make of my home situation. I live with my partner and our baby daughter. Anyone know whether they recognise us as a family?

CEP
1st May 2011, 10:26
Nope! You would need to be married to be able to live here together. You would not even be able to sponsor her and your child their residence visas. They could come visit as tourists, but would have to leave the country every sixty days I think on visa runs.
And then if the authorities caught you living together......:{ not saying living together doesn't happen here, but it's at your own risk. You could both face prison time with deportation.
And you would not be able to get company sponsored family accommodation, medical aid, etc.....
Take the plunge or stay away......:ok:

dustyprops
1st May 2011, 10:31
..................As well as your partner getting no company medical coverage, no staff travel, no epc card, no nothing. Definitely not worth it in your case.

Voodoo 3
1st May 2011, 11:11
Just to compound CEP's reply, the tourist visa is presently only valid for thirty days. So that's a monthly drive to the Oman border crossing or a regular holiday to Doha for the day to renew!

kotakota
1st May 2011, 12:53
And not too sure about the drive to the Omani border working anymore . Apparently people in Oman cannot do the drive into UAE for visa renewal anymore , so it is most likely a 2 way street for all concerned .

White Knight
1st May 2011, 17:21
New rules - so I've heard - are one road trip to renew and then must fly out and come back to renew tourist visa. But things change weekly in immigration here:eek:

Plore
1st May 2011, 22:26
A tourist visa is valid for 30 days after entry (but I think it can be extended on request to a max of 60 days once you are in the UAE). Then you HAVE to leave the country and can only apply for another visa after 30 days outside the country. :\

STD
2nd May 2011, 08:32
Not Allowed!

SassyPilotsWife
2nd May 2011, 11:13
I about fell out of my chair to see pilot's actually telling another pilot to get married LOL.

In regards to the visa situation. Visa run every 40 days ( yes 40, friends go all the time and I went with them a few days ago) at the RAK/Oman border. At this time you do not have to fly out but making the border run every 40 days at 200 aed is not only a pain in the butt, but it can add up in the pocket too.

Something very important to keep in mind. Say you do move here, remain unmarried, life is great and you couldn't be happier. Your gf gets pregnant with your 2nd child. Your busy flying...she delivers here... you will come back and visit her in Jail. THAT IS A GIVEN! And then EK fires you for being in the middle of the drama.

Unmarried women who have a child in this country go to jail. A dear sweet girl who worked for EK had a child out of wedlock and EK terminated her immediately. She was not in Dubai at the time, thank God or she would have been jailed. However, she was not spared turmoil as she delivered 3 months prematurely during a layover. EK not only terminated her on the spot, they made her vacate the hotel, they terminated her health insurance and the baby was in NICU and left her without any help or resources.

PUT A RING ON IT !

PS.. if you dont want to wed in your country for whatever reason, you can get married in the UAE

puff m'call
2nd May 2011, 15:39
:=:=:= Don't come out here, stay single!!!

Bredrin
2nd May 2011, 21:05
If you have started a family and are living together why the reluctance to get married? The alternative is to get married in the Shariah courts here which would allow you all the benefits of husband and wife in the Muslim world ONLY

cheakymunkie
4th May 2011, 10:33
I know the UAE has a reputation for being strick, but didn't realise they were quite so down on unmarried couples! Just to clear up any confusion, I'm a guy and my partner is a girl. As far as we're concerned we're in a committed relationship for life were we've had a planned child. It's just neither of us have been bothered about making it official as we've always felt we had more important things to spend our money on. However, we would have nothing against getting married if there was a good reason for it, like a new job and lifestyle. (I know you're all thinking "How romantic!")

Do you think I could be open with them about this in the selection process or would I need to get married before I make contact? Feels like pretty extreme interview preparation, especially if I failed selection!

Thanks for all the information so far...

Wizofoz
4th May 2011, 10:57
Do you think I could be open with them about this in the selection process or would I need to get married before I make contact? Feels like pretty extreme interview preparation, especially if I failed selection!

Be honest. Everyone involved in the selection process understands you are coming from somewhere where de-facto relationships are acceptable.

A lot of people have had to go through "Shot-gun" weddings prior to coming, it won't be held against you.

Rule3
4th May 2011, 11:16
If the child does not have your surname on the Birth Certificate and you marry your partner you have opened another can of worms. :}

SunnyFL
27th Oct 2011, 06:04
Bredrin If you have started a family and are living together why the reluctance to get married? The alternative is to get married in the Shariah courts here which would allow you all the benefits of husband and wife in the Muslim world ONLY

... How does this work? I was reading up on it and it seems that I would need to prove citizenship first... :sad:

Craggenmore
27th Oct 2011, 08:17
1. Pass EK selection.

2. sign contract.

3. Search for you nearest registry office in London

4. pay £160 for the 'big day' (about a ten minute service)

5. join EK

helen-damnation
27th Oct 2011, 10:15
Unmarried women who have a child in this country go to jail. A dear sweet girl who worked for EK had a child out of wedlock and EK terminated her immediately. She was not in Dubai at the time, thank God or she would have been jailed. However, she was not spared turmoil as she delivered 3 months prematurely during a layover. EK not only terminated her on the spot, they made her vacate the hotel, they terminated her health insurance and the baby was in NICU and left her without any help or resources.

Another embelished, emotionally charged story that contains fact but loses credibility by seeking to EK bash.

She was given support initially by the company, but it was limited and not what we would have liked to see her given. Management can only go so far (NO, I'm not mangement) and given that she had broken the law here, their ability was limited.

This is not the tree huggers delight of the West. It's the Middle East. Shariah Law applies and the culture that goes with it. You don't have to like it, but you choose to live in it. If that's a problem for you, caveat emptor.

Jetaim
27th Oct 2011, 11:33
Yeah..Sharja law..based on something written 1600 years ago by a guy that got his brain overheated in scorching sun in the friking desert ..still the very base of civilization and the legal system here. That should be enough for every person with a little of brain to stay thousand miles away from this ****** up place!

lospilotos
27th Oct 2011, 17:02
Chekymunki, I'm in the exact same relationship status as you, in a relationship, unmarried with a kid. Recently went throug the pre-screening process and got moved on to the next stage. In the interview they highlighted the fact that we would need to get married to enjoy the full benefits, but otherwise no problem...

boofta
28th Oct 2011, 20:39
Whats with the kids first and then get married.Your worried
that you may commit to marriage and maybe not get the job.
That sounds like someone who would like to keep one foot
out the door in his relationship.Then a query about Sharia
marriage, another desperate attempt to commit without a
total commitment.
Have a good look at your child and think about this childish
attitude as you wriggle with your total relationship fears.
Don't start this, we hav'nt bothered yet crap, its a five minute
job to get married, about half the time it took to make your child!

BigGeordie
29th Oct 2011, 05:42
I'm making the assumption that the posters here are male with female partners:

Having a child with your girlfriend in your home country without any commitment is one thing but you now seem to expect her to move half way around the world with that child, away from her friends and family, and you are still trying to avoid giving her any kind of security.

If your girlfriend is prepared to do that she is a better woman than you deserve.

SunnyFL
18th Nov 2011, 01:00
Thank you for the reply!! any clue if i can purchase discounted tickets for friends?

Guys... really... aren't you being a little judgmental?! One foot out the door, afraid of commitment... really? Lets not bash the man we dont know. Because you believe in the institution of marriage doesn't mean he does. And lets not even get in to the staggering statistics of the divorce rate...

Get married when you want to, when it feels right. And for all of the people that tell you that your otherwise ask them to reference the extremely pleasant divorce rate. Be faithful to your family, and committed to your relationship and as the foLks in MIA say ... FORGET THE HATTERS

ENFP
18th Nov 2011, 02:00
Don't start this, we hav'nt bothered yet crap, its a five minute
job to get married, about half the time it took to make your child!

I bet that's twice the time. :E

jeff748
18th Nov 2011, 02:56
I purchased a visa for my mother in law yesterday. Cost was 710 dhs for a 30 day visa and 1000 dhs refundable "deposit", which was changed at the very last moment to 2000 dhs as I could not prove that that particular mother in law was MY mother in law as her passport does not have the same surname as my wife (Duh!). There is also a 20 dhs "handling fee" to cover the cost of giving the cash to the guy on the other side of the desk. Tried to get a shorter visa (2 or 3 days) but no luck :E. Opted for 418's instead.
Odd thing is that the 30 day "short stay" visa is valid for 60 days from date of issue, so if she plans to stay for 30 days she must enter the country within 30 days of the issuance of the visa. Like many legal issues here, it's very murky territory.
Marriage is a given. You MUST be married to live together and have the benifits provided as all the other posters have said. I married my partner 10 years to the day after meeting her as there was really no need to marry in our home country. That being said, it was 4 days before joining EK that we wed. We have been lucky. Married life has not been life changing for us.
However, torrid affairs that include a marriage proposal because the groom (or bride) just got the EK job have often ended in tatters soon after arrival in DXB. It's a stressful series of events to get settled here, and it takes a while. Change of job, residence, marital status, surrounding culture(s), plus assorted temptations downline, etc, can add up to another change: One day you wake up and you have no idea who is in bed with you. Although you're married to her, you suddenly share nothing in common.
This stress applied is insidious but can be monitored using this scale: The Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale - Stress Management from MindTools.com (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm)
This is a very good tool to follow your own progress and see if you are apt to become over-stressed. Try to avoid the obvious biggies. Figure out how to manage the others. Life has it's own piece of Swiss cheese.
To summarize, weak relationships, both old and new, do not survive. Visas cost money and are an inconvenient truth. Complaining solves nothing and may well aggrevate the situation. If you want to live and work in DXB you must simply accept how things work here, or you'll go stark raving mad.

Capetonian
18th Nov 2011, 06:52
Possibly the most hypocritical regime in the world. I have nothing whatsoever against alcohol, sex, or prostitution, but the double standards that prevail in this hellhole nauseate me.

Welcome to the United Arab Emirates - a country with strict regulations, which translates into a low crime rate.

In situations other than the beach or swimming pool, a woman's clothing might be considered indecent if it is tight, transparent, above the knee or shows her stomach, shoulders or back.

The UAE (consisting of Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras al Kaimah, Fujairah, Ajman, and Umm al Quwain) is a Muslim country and its local laws reflect the fact that Islamic practices and beliefs are closely applied.

Some of the seven emirates are more strict than others: Sharjah and Ajman, for instance, strictly enforces Islamic law, while Dubai and Abu Dhabi - both with thriving, mainstream tourist industries - are more relaxed.

Here are some tips on how to avoid being arrested during a visit to the UAE:

THE MIDDLE FINGER: Swearing and making rude gestures are criminal acts in the UAE and may result in significant penalties.

KISSING: Public displays of affection, such as holding hands and kissing, are socially unacceptable. There have been arrests for public displays of affection.

BROKE: Bouncing cheques and non-payment of bills may result in imprisonment or fines.

UNDRESSED: In situations other than the beach or swimming pool, a woman's clothing might be considered indecent if it is tight, transparent, above the knee or shows her stomach, shoulders or back.

CHATTING UP WOMEN: It is illegal to harass women. This includes unwanted conversation, prolonged stares and glaring.

PHOTOS: Taking photographs of local people, particularly women, without permission and where there has been no previous contact is illegal and can lead to arrest or fines.

RAMADAN: During the holy month of Ramadan, non-Muslims are expected to refrain from eating, drinking and smoking in public in front of Muslims between sunrise and sunset.

SEX: Sex outside marriage is banned. Homosexual acts and prostitution are illegal and subject to severe punishment.
But their tourism induustry is based on prostitution, the international hotel bars are packed with hookers and their clients drinking alcohol which is against Islamic law. Planeloads of hookers arrive daily on 'holiday' visas.

DRINK DRIVING: It is illegal to have any alcohol in your blood when driving.

DRUGS: The UAE has a zero-tolerance policy towards drugs and penalties for drug trafficking include the death penalty or life in jail.

MEDICATION: Medication available over the counter or by prescription in Australia may be illegal or considered a controlled substance in the UAE. Check the status of the medication before bringing it into the country.
Even stuff like cough mixture, anti-inflammatories, and aspirin can cause problems

Flying Spag Monster
18th Nov 2011, 14:09
Any one else see the funny side of having to undergo a largely Christian ritual (marriage) in order to live in a Muslim society.? Monkey boy, do the interview, tell them your engaged or what ever you want to tell them,recruiting understand,then if you get the gig visit the registry officer. Ignore those wankers offering their moral judgement, come on over.

Ondras
12th Jan 2012, 21:30
Guys,
do you see any problems moving down there married but with child having different surname? :rolleyes:

r0v3r
12th Jan 2012, 21:42
There is a visit visa, which is valid for 90 days.

Wizofoz
13th Jan 2012, 00:22
Guys,
do you see any problems moving down there married but with child having different surname?

There'll be some extra paperwork involved, and if you want the EK benefits for the Children not biologically yours, you'll need to have proof you have adopted them but, no, I know several people here with "Blended" families.

bungacengkeh
13th Jan 2012, 02:34
It's a HARAM relationship. Someone can report you and your partner to the religious authority and you can get into a big doo doo. Sheesh!

ironbutt57
13th Jan 2012, 03:47
Even co-habitation wint a person of the opposite sex may subject one to penalties in the unlikely event it becomes known to authorities..

Ondras
13th Jan 2012, 05:38
Just to make it more clear, biologically its my girlfriend daughter...as we planning to get married, but maybe keep surname of the kid...

Wizofoz
13th Jan 2012, 10:00
Won't be a problem- Surnames are actually less important here- My UAE drivers licence only has my first and middle name on it, and Wives don't take the surname of their husbands.

BigGeordie
14th Jan 2012, 06:58
A marriage certificate and proof of adoption for the child and you should be fine. The different surname ("family name" is more understood here) isn't a problem.

Fred Garvin M.P.
16th Jan 2012, 05:46
You don't even need certificate or proof of adoption. All you need is a court declaration stating you and your spouse are the primary care givers of the child and have assumed all financial and medical responsibility for the child. Depending on your country, you'd have to get a letter of no objection from the biological, but as far as EK is concerned, the child does not have to be adopted by you, but you have to be the primary caretaker, attested by a court, for them to be issued a family visa

BigGeordie
16th Jan 2012, 07:46
Excuse my ignorance of such matters, but isn't that the same thing as adoption?:confused:

andorra2004
16th Jan 2012, 09:47
It is the islamic way. You can adopt a kid, but you don't change his family name, because he has the right to retain his previous history. They are used to adopted childs with different name (I think that it is called kafala).

GShocker
16th Jan 2012, 13:16
Just to add my own spoon to this soup...

Me and the mother of my children are not married, and if I get through the Dubai part of the selection and get recruited I will most propably move to Dubai without my family. Does EK still consider my kids as "my kids" (they do have the same family name that I do) or do I have to bring along some DNA test results to get EK family benefits for them as well even though they'd live in their home country?