PDA

View Full Version : A/THR Active On takeoff

Farid
30th Apr 2011, 18:48
a simple question?
Why A/THR Getting Active automatically after TOGA Takeoff thrust set?
thank you

Mad (Flt) Scientist
30th Apr 2011, 21:48
It would probably help if you specified which aircraft/type you were thinking of.

FLX/MCT
30th Apr 2011, 22:48
If you're talking about Airbus aircraft - the A/THR is only armed when selecting TOGA or FLX on the ground. The green light on the FCU will light but the indication on the FMA is only blue, meaning autothrust is armed. Once you retard the levers to Clb it will get active (white FMA label).

Farid
30th Apr 2011, 23:20
i mean airbus A330,any way thank you for reply

aa73
1st May 2011, 02:03
do you mean autothrottles? what the heck is autothrust. gotta love airbus and its weird techno-crap, always trying to reinvent the wheel! ...:}

Captain Dart
1st May 2011, 07:56
aa73, in answer to your question, 'autothrust' is the 21st century term for automatic control of the motive power of modern jet transports. I did have a 'throttle' on my motorbike, though.

When I flew Boeing 747s, I had several 'autothrottle' back-drive malfunctions, including uncommanded asymmetric thrust reduction on climb-out, caused by this unnecessary complication that makes certain pilots feel like they are still in the 1960's, giving them moving 'throttle' levers to show them ...erm... the 'throttle' levers have moved.

I chose to come off the Boeing and fly Airbus 'techno crap', and I have flown 3 different Airbus widebodies without so much as a hiccup in this area, or any major problem in any area for that matter, for 16 years. And the accountants love them.

What was it like flying the DC-6?

rudderrudderrat
1st May 2011, 09:21
Hi aa73,

When we first controlled the revs of a petrol engine, we "throttled" the carburettor by restricting the airflow, we even "choked" it when starting from cold. We've moved on a bit since then.

Capt. Dart. Having flown conventional aircraft & now Airbus A320 series - I still miss the Thrust Lever position feed back, and I miss the feed back in my control wheel when the other pilot is flying - especially near the ground.

I think B777 improved on Airbus, by providing both feed backs.

Microburst2002
1st May 2011, 10:57
Farid

As said above, A/THR (in an airbus) does not activate. It is armed automatically.

If it was not armed, A/THR would not become active when the pilot sets the thrust levers in the CLB notch. Since normal operation involves use of the A/THR, Why not arming it automatically?

aa73
2nd May 2011, 00:25
ahh, just yanking you Bus drivers chains! I know it's a good system, otherwise it would have had a host of criticism! I just have never flown an Airbus product and some of the cultural differences in flight deck logistics is somewhat fascinating to my old Boeing/McD.D brain!

cheerio from the new world,

Captain Dart
2nd May 2011, 00:36
I knew that! Cheers from the developing world :ok:!

PopeSweetJesus
4th May 2011, 00:33
Aa73,

They're still called autothrottles on the A300's that your carrier used to fly. AFAIK, the autothrust thing started with the A320 series. I never got that deep into the names as after a bunch of airlines and manufacturers you just get used to/accept that there truly is more than one way to skin a cat. I always assumed the name had something to do with the the plane using the the thrust rating detents (TOGA/FLX/MCT/CL/IDLE/REV IDLE/REV) and possibly because of the non moving throttles when the A/THR system is in use. I was always more amused when turboprop and RJ guys, often at the same airline, would get all caught up with thrust lever vs. power lever-more juice, less juice get over it!

TyroPicard
4th May 2011, 20:20
From my 747 Classic memory bank...
Throttles control fuel flow ....... JT-9D
Thrust levers control thrust ...... RB211

Capn Bloggs
4th May 2011, 23:12
When I flew Boeing 747s
What is/was FFRATS short for? :cool: