PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Art: C404 Titan Air Queensland

Aye Ess
29th Apr 2011, 07:58
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/titan.jpg?t=1304063203
Acrylic on stretched canvas 30cm x 60cm. Air Queensland based two of these aircraft in Brisbane in the 1980s to service Kingaroy,Monto,Roma,St George,Toowoomba,Biloela,Cunnamulla,Dalby,Dirranbandi & Goondiwindi.

Air Qld started life as Bush Pilot Airways in 1951,so,this year marks 60 years since Bushy's origin. There's a get together planned for June,so,if you know any ex Bushy staff,please advise them to make contact if they would like to catch up.

Jabawocky
29th Apr 2011, 10:45
Mate.......if you keep painting like this, and improving at such a rate, when you really get good at it I will have to get you to do me another one! :ok:

Your talents are beyond words :D

BTW Forkie asked am I still taking good care of the TYU painting till he collects it when next thru Brisbane, and he is still raving about it. Quite an achievement when you consider he is a man of few words.;)

Love the Titan :D

The Green Goblin
29th Apr 2011, 12:02
You're dreaming if you think a 404 can climb with a body angle like that! (longer than 10 seconds or so)

If you turned it into a 441, this would be passing FL300 :cool:

Chadzat
29th Apr 2011, 13:40
Its the fine details that make these works so special. Even the positioning of the pilot and Row 1 passengers are spot on the money as to where they should be 'in the window'. :ok:

frigatebird
29th Apr 2011, 21:41
Aye Ess
With the re-introduction of ATR's to Queensland skies, you will have to do one of Air Queenslands then pair of working 42-300's going into, say, Cairns, for historical reasons.
cheers

Skystar320
30th Apr 2011, 06:58
bit of a steep climb?

PyroTek
30th Apr 2011, 07:46
Looks like 2 POB to me. I reckon it might just be able to climb like that with 2 POB and minimal fuel.

Chimbu chuckles
30th Apr 2011, 08:57
Based on your vast experience in C404s Pyro?

Orion Delta
30th Apr 2011, 09:22
Beautiful painting Aye Ess - well done !!! :cool:

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Apr 2011, 09:23
bit of a steep climb?

The obvious assumption is that the 404 is climbing out after TO but I, on the other hand, just thought it was pulling up from a low run down the runway to clear the kangaroos prior to landing! :E

Dr :8

Aye Ess
30th Apr 2011, 09:54
Thanks everyone for your words on encouragement.

With regards the steepness of climb....it is just because we would very rarely see an aircraft that close in a nose high attitude which makes it look odd. Usually we see a/c up close either on the ground or app or landing. However,lightly loaded at max angle of climb the C404 would achieve that dramatic climb. In fact I have painted it at 13 deg ANU which is quite achievable (also pedantic,but that's what we perfectionists thrive on)

If I was to paint, for example, a Twin Otter on emergency descent,many would question the angle downwards,but,it is accurate & VERY alarming in real life,in fact there are some good you-tube vids of the manouver.

Frigate....yes,I had a similar idea. Currently on the back burner.

Forkie....I get the connection,but RPT flying strictly forbids buzzing.

Jabawocky
30th Apr 2011, 10:40
a Twin Otter on emergency descent

You had better paint Chimbu Chuck doing a beta descent into Chimbu PNG in that case, with a local in the back with bulging eyes :eek:

Skystar320
30th Apr 2011, 11:47
Aye Ess, personally not having a dig, just a little poke! Great painting though, when does the ATR42 coming online?

mnehpets
30th Apr 2011, 13:15
bit of a steep climb?

Passenger: "I wonder what a 404 is like in a spin"
Pilot: "Watch this!"

- S

ps: if I ever owned a 404, I would name it "not found"...

HomeJames
30th Apr 2011, 14:48
Frigatebird,

I'll think you'll find that the ATR has been gracing the skies of qld for the past 3 years. They do however appear to be nightowls and have green tails. Bit of trivia, rumour has it one of the 42's operating here used to be with Air Queensland.

Straight home and don't spare the horses.

Aye Ess
30th Apr 2011, 18:55
Skystar, no I didn't take your comment as a dig:).....I just thought I had best explain to all as to why the angle seems odd.

The ATRs were originally operated by Air Qld around 1986. Many folk think they are new a/c,but were indeed operated here before many of the current crews were even born!!!

Chimbu chuckles
30th Apr 2011, 22:23
If I was to paint, for example, a Twin Otter on emergency descent,many would question the angle downwards,but,it is accurate & VERY alarming in real life

I wouldn't - we're talking Beta descent aren't we?:E

That was overhead Wau Jaba...he was also about 15cm off his seat dangling by the lapstrap:}

tpad
30th Apr 2011, 23:36
Hi Alan. As a former Bushies driver I'd like to congratulate you on the quality of your paintings. Just brilliant. The Titan was IMHO the nicest light twin to fly that the company ever operated. Easily capable of that 13 degree climb at light weights. When I flew their ATR's, I thought they were 200's, but that was a long time ago. I have a great photo of one over the Pyrennes. PM me if you want one. Rgds Tpad

Tenmen
1st May 2011, 01:54
Great painting, mate. Hopefully catch up at the Bushies Bash in June.

404 Titan
1st May 2011, 02:32
Aye Ess

That is a very nice painting and yes a 404 can hold that climb angle lightly loaded after take-off at Vx. I might have to commission you to paint one of my favourite steeds in my previous company’s lively.:ok:

Jabawocky
1st May 2011, 03:21

You will not be sorry, I have two pieces of his talented works in the loungroom and they are brilliant.

I would also suggest you do it quick....before he realises he charges only half what they are worth.:ok:

I have had the privillege of walking around his "gallery" and its a sight to behold.

J:ok:

Aye Ess
1st May 2011, 08:31
Thanks all for your surprising encouragement.

Chimbu....I have never done the emergency descent in anger,but had to display the manouver during renewals. The descent is carried out with knees locked whilst standing on the rudder pedals,looking way up the top of the windscreen at the horizon & straight ahead at the top of trees.

tpad...I encourage you to grab a flight from Noo Zuland across the detch to attend the Bushie Bash Sat 25th June

Tenmen,I can guess who you are....we go back way before Bushie days ;)

404 Titan,thanks for you confirmation.

Jaba....I'm blushing with embarrasment :ooh: Don't 'raise the bar' too high !!

frigatebird
1st May 2011, 08:56
James
Remiss of me not to include the Freighters. Believe they are 300s.
tpad
Did the last groundschool course with Mick James in Townsville after the Air Queensland 2 leased to Air Pacific were returned. He didn't mention that they were 200s, so assumed they were 300's. Stand corrected if the case. Air Qld had been operating the other 2 up and down the coast at least a couple of years prior, so they could well have been earlier versions.

tpad
1st May 2011, 09:37
Frigatebird,

My memory of the ATR42 type rating is a little sketchy on account of all the brain cells we destroyed during an extremely pleasant month in Toulouse. I do remember the French Instructor saying " zere are two enjines .. one for ze left and one for ze right "

When challenged that we may need to know just a tad more than that, he replied " Merde ! alright... ze are made by Pratt and Whitney ... ze next subject eez eyedraulic "

After the month we were little the wiser and maybe 5kgs heavier. I do remember it seeming like the proverbial piece of cake to fly after the 20 tonne dog whistle... go down, slow down, " nay bother Jimmy "

Although you had to work very hard to do anything other than a greaser, some still seemed to manage. Rgds Tpad

Chimbu chuckles
1st May 2011, 10:25
Chimbu....I have never done the emergency descent in anger,but had to display the manouver during renewals. The descent is carried out with knees locked whilst standing on the rudder pedals,looking way up the top of the windscreen at the horizon & straight ahead at the top of trees.

The way it was taught in Talair was 80kts/flaps 20/full reverse...the resultant deck angle was not far off vertical - you tracked VERY slowly over the ground.

I have never done one 'in anger' ...only ever with a silly grin.:ok:

There was another version with flaps 20/flight idle and a tight turn - that usually resulted in a silly grin too.:}

Mr. Hat
1st May 2011, 10:49
ps: if I ever owned a 404, I would name it "not found"...

Thats gold.

Great painting do you have any others?

Aye Ess
1st May 2011, 10:55
Yes,Mr Hat,I have a house that is chockers with my paintings,just as well my wife kicked me out years ago....can't imagine any missus putting up with rooms taken over with aeroplane paintings. My main interest lies in Australian GA/commuter/airlines.

Alan

Oakape
1st May 2011, 15:22
Have you done any of Oxley's chieftains? They didn't paint all of their A/C up in the same colour scheme, but they did do a couple of them in the same grey & maroon accent on white colour scheme that they had on the Kingair.

Mr. Hat
1st May 2011, 23:09
can't imagine any missus putting up with rooms taken over with aeroplane paintings.

Mrs Hat has put up with living like she's in the circus (god knows Ive worked for a few). Traveling from town to town for nearly a decade now with no end in sight.

Post some more pics if you have the time and the mods don't mind - or do you have a website?

Tenmen
2nd May 2011, 01:20
tpad,

You are half right, when Air Q first ordered the ATR's they were sold as 200's, however by the time they were delivered 2 years later developments had overtaken the 200, and they were 300 series. The 2 ATR's actually operated by Air Q were leased to JAT in the then Yougoslavia when Jimmy shut down the operation, at end of lease they were sold to Cimber Air in Denmark, one of those were the onsold in about 2000 to an operator in (I think) Lithuania and that aircraft is(again I think) one of the 2 operated by Toll.

Cheers

Aye Ess
2nd May 2011, 21:45
Oakape....I had forgotten about the Oxley paint scheme,it was very nice but,no haven't painted any of the Oxley fleet (yet)

Mr Hat...I don't have a WWW,maybe when I get more well known. I have been putting aviation art on Pprune over the last few weeks/months....if you go to 'view my public profile' then click on 'Statistics' then 'Find all threads started by Aye Ess' you can have a squiz at some more of my obsession.

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd May 2011, 23:43
Some things are well worth another look!

Dr :8

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/alan_spears/forky3.jpg?t=1301646432

Aye Ess
3rd May 2011, 00:56
AWWWW...Forky....there is no icon to display my blushing face!!!

Mr. Hat
3rd May 2011, 03:23
Will do eye. Nice one forkie.

I'm off to see if there is one of the mighty baron!

Jabawocky
3rd May 2011, 04:19
Mr Hat...he has trouble painting things like Barons and RV10's, the V Tail however is slow enough to capture beautifully...... :E

Did I mention that the V Tail is still on the stand on my dining room table?

You will love his work......You will probably take your Hat off to his talents! :}

Oakape
3rd May 2011, 05:16
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee369/chrislizt/OxleyKingair.jpg

The Oxley Kingair. Unfortunately I don't have a photo to hand of the Chieftains in this colour scheme