PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Down Langford Essex

Conventional Gear
28th Apr 2011, 14:04
Local radio is reporting an aircraft has crashed into a reservoir at Langford near Maldon.

No further details other than 2 POB

Morris542
28th Apr 2011, 14:17
Not much information so far but the BBC reporting the following:

BBC News - Light aircraft crashes into Essex lake (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13228734)

nick14
28th Apr 2011, 14:22
We heard the mayday as it happened on 121.5 this afternoon on the way back into London TMA.

Sounded like a formation of yaks from North Weald with a Carlsberg callsign.

The lead aircraft put out the mayday and did exceptionally well as did London Center, a great example of how to handle an emergency, all credit to them both.

Hope the people involved are ok :-(

PADriver
28th Apr 2011, 14:31
Little bit more info at

Two feared dead as plane crashes into lake near Maldon (From Chelmsford Weekly News) (http://www.chelmsfordweeklynews.co.uk/news/maldon/8999112.Police_investigate__plane_crash__sightings/)

Matt Mackay
28th Apr 2011, 14:39
Some more details here:-

News - Heart Essex (http://www.heart.co.uk/essex/news/plane-plunges-essex-lake/)

XV490
28th Apr 2011, 15:04
Very sadly, two aboard killed. One eyewitnesses report says three a/c performing 'acrobatics' at the time.

Tragic incident.

Conventional Gear
28th Apr 2011, 15:07
BBC Essex Radio now reporting 2 fatalities.

Very sad news indeed.

Plasmech
28th Apr 2011, 17:27
My condolences to the families and friends. Not to make a joke of this in any way shape or form, but that lake is so small that one would almost have to be trying to crash into it. What horribly bad luck.

Say again s l o w l y
28th Apr 2011, 17:47
Oh no.

Time to make some phone calls that I desperately hope get answered.

The Original GF
28th Apr 2011, 18:48
SAS I would appreciate a PM if you have any info on this.

OGF

old-timer
28th Apr 2011, 18:56
This is such very very sad news - I saw them earlier over the eastern side of Chelmsford earlier this morning in a formation of 3 looking very very professional & very very neat, I wondered if they were routing to EGMC & pictured the enjoyment they were having - so sad - aviation can be very cruel at times.

I lost a good friend from N.W 11 years ago - only thinking of him recently, such sad sad news - deepest & kindest respects to family & friends.

stiknruda
28th Apr 2011, 19:44
I've made one of those SAS 'phone calls. It went immediately to voicemail. PM pls SAS if you have news.

As lead in a formation biplane aerobatic display team, this is v close to home.

Al

mark25787
28th Apr 2011, 20:27
Is it reasonable to assume that these are the Aerostars Yaks that are involved?
Just noting the comment here that the aircraft was not thought to be based at North Weald.

Update Essex: Two dead after plane crash near Maldon - News - East Anglian Daily Times (http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/update_essex_two_dead_after_plane_crash_near_maldon_1_878365 )

Say again s l o w l y
28th Apr 2011, 20:28
I've no news yet chaps, I'm going to let people call me back rather than continue chasing though.

Vino Collapso
28th Apr 2011, 20:41
Is it reasonable to assume that these are the Aerostars Yaks that are involved?

No!

There is a formation flying school at North Weald every April and October where Yak owners can get skilled training in the art of formation flying and aerobatics. I almost joined one a few years back when I was Yak owner but free time was not available.

I still know some people who have taken part in this and now instruct.

mark25787
28th Apr 2011, 20:48
Quote: Is it reasonable to assume that these are the Aerostars Yaks that are involved? No!

There is a formation flying school at North Weald every April and October where Yak owners can get skilled training in the art of formation flying and aerobatics. I almost joined one a few years back when I was Yak owner but free time was not available.

I still know some people who have taken part in this and now instruct. Thanks for confirming that. Wasn't aware of the FFS - didn't know of any other flying group of Yaks apart from the Aerostars.

eharding
28th Apr 2011, 20:52
Chaps, it has obviously been a very anxious time for those of us who have friends who have been flying out of North Weald for the past few days, and whilst this is after all a self-anointed rumour forum, it isn't helpful to have people nominating who might or might not have been involved until the identities are released.

It is noticeable that statements made here earlier have appeared pretty much verbatim in the output of various new agencies, and unguarded comments or speculation here in the immediate aftermath may well lead to some needless heartache and worry as a result of incorrect media reporting.

I know we go through this process every time we suffer a loss, but it now seems increasingly apparent that there is a direct and rapid route from this and other forums to the news agencies, so please consider what you're saying before you commit to posting it.

vulcanised
28th Apr 2011, 21:34
A news story I read said they weren't actually based at North Weald. Don't know if that is helpful or not.

Sleeve Wing
29th Apr 2011, 10:31
>>A news story I read said they weren't actually based at North Weald. Don't know if that is helpful or not.<<

No, it's not, vulcanised. That has no relevance at all.

Good post, eharding.
Never a good time when such an incident occurs.
This is especially so when the participants are mainly professionals and so thorough.

Unfortunately, just occasionally, it goes wrong. It's something that we all accept but hope we will never be part of.

Keep flying. :(

2M0SOERaymond
30th Apr 2011, 01:04
I was saddened to read of the report in the Scottish Sun of Friday 29th April. May I through this posting offer my condolences to the family & friends of the two folk.
My wife bought the paper for the wedding coverage, and gave the paper to me pointing out the story on page 29.
I wanted to know more about the origin of the aircraft, and Google headed me to this website.
I couldn't see anything about non PPL's registering, so I registered.

'Old Timer' mentioned about the only other fatality at NWA of which I am aware of, in which he lost a good friend.
I went to my NWA 'folder' in which I have kept as much 'printed matter' to do with North Weald from 1997 through to 2004, including the reports in the Harlow Star, dated April 27th 2000
I was there that Wednesday night for one of the Squadron talks, when I went into the Squadron I could tell immediately, that the radio news I had just heard at 7pm while driving to NWA, involved the two aircraft from NWA!
As OT said, a very, very sad occasion.
I know that these Formation Flying Weeks that have been running for many years, and I hope that they are able to continue later this year.

North Weald Airfield, the NWA Museum, and The Squadron have given me many fond memories during my time with them.
I sincerely hope that those involved with this latest tragedy, are able to come to terms with their loss, as quickly as possible.

BackPacker
3rd May 2011, 19:08
I know one of the pilots (the British national living in Holland). Not personally but he's one of the many pilots that fly for the Dutch charity Stichting Hoogvliegers, where I'm one of the core volunteers. This charity aims to offer air experience flights to sick and disabled children throughout the Netherlands. He was a member since January 2010 and flew 3 such flights since then.

And he was actually scheduled to fly another charity flight a day or so after the accident. Nobody made the connection at the time, so this family was waiting at the airfield for him, but he never showed up. Obviously we have now contacted the family and will reschedule the flight.

Within this charity we're sort-of used to getting notice of children that are deceased every now and then. One of the children that I flew with a while go died a month later on the consequences of acute leukemia. Very sad. But I think this is the first time we've lost an active pilot. He'll be missed.

waveskimmer
3rd May 2011, 19:45
So sad ,so many GOOD people seem to being called away in the last few months:sad:

BackPacker
3rd May 2011, 21:19
I don't think this article has been linked yet. It's four days old but gives some additional details:

BBC News - Police release details of Essex lake plane crash pair (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13239890)