PDA

View Full Version : AUS/NZ (ICAO) IFR flight tolerances

NZ744
28th Apr 2011, 04:54
I've been searching for New Zealand/Australian ICAO PANS-OPS IFR horizontal flight limitations such as:

- Enroute track horizontal distance tolerances (Left/Right of track)
- Approach Arc tolerances
- Holding tolerances
- Approach tolerances VOR, NDB, ILS, RNAV
- Etc...

I am looking for the acceptable horizontal flight tolerences allowed to be considered 'on track', 'established on the arc', 'on approach' etc.

Anyone able to assist?

Thanks for your help! :8

glekichi
28th Apr 2011, 05:28
Australia and New Zealand are not the same.
The AIP of each country (both available online) will tell you what you need to know.

Morrisman1
28th Apr 2011, 05:41
For NZ,

The AIP ENR 3.2 states that unless otherwise authorised you must maintain centreline of the promulgated route. It doesnt specify a distance but the obstacle clearance area is 5NM radius from aircraft position so that would lead me to believe that the track is 10NM wide in terms of terrain clearance. Flight test standards guide states +/- 5 degrees for VOR tracking

Arc tolerances in the flight test are +/- 1NM but practically are more like 0.5NM

Holding terrain clearance is 5NM beyond the basic holding area, if you get beyond that in a hold you need to go back and do some more training! The flight test standards guide states that tracking inbound needs to be +/- 5 degrees and they expect you to compensate for wind appropriately on the turns and outbound leg

Approaches:
- Maintains published tracks ± 5°, reducing to ± 3° for NDB or ±
2.5° for VOR in the final 300′ to MDA.

- Maintains published tracks ± half scale deflection reducing to ±
one dot in the final 300′ to MDA, that is for RNAV.

- Intercepts the glide slope and from FAP onwards, maintains it with
a maximum deviation of ½ scale above or ¼ scale below reducing
to a maximum deviation of ¼ scale above or ¼ scale below during
the last 300′ to DA/H with zero negative tolerance at DA/H.

does that help? These are flight test standards which are likely to be a bit stricter than what the route/approach designers have allowed for

NZ744
28th Apr 2011, 09:03
Thanks for the replies!

I find the AIP doesn't specifically mention the left/right track limitations except for the 5nm beyond basic holding area limit and the obstacle clearance limits. My question is rather, what is the actual flight limits rather than obstacle limits.

For example, if the obstical limits on the arc are 2.5nm either side, is there a flight maximum tollerance that takes into account some sort of buffer from the obstacle clearance limit in the AIP?

Thanks MM1, maybe that is what I can go with for now.

Cheers :ok:

mattyj
28th Apr 2011, 09:37
Morrisman I think if you read the limitations for holding in ENR 1.5 for both countries you will see that it is possible with a Cat C or higher aircraft that speeds of up to 280 knots or 0.8 Mach are available in turbulence while holding. Outbound timing above 14000' is 1.5 minutes

280 knots is over 4.5 miles a minute so anyway..you could easily use up your 5 miles

Best place is PANS OPS which is the design criteria all the ICAO member states are supposed to use

http://www.icao.int/icaonet/dcs/8168/8168_v1_5ed_amend_14_advanced.pdf

read that if you're desperate for something to do 744

Morrisman1
28th Apr 2011, 10:41
Morrisman I think if you read the limitations for holding in ENR 1.5 for both countries you will see that it is possible with a Cat C or higher aircraft that speeds of up to 280 knots or 0.8 Mach are available in turbulence while holding. Outbound timing above 14000' is 1.5 minutes

280 knots is over 4.5 miles a minute so anyway..you could easily use up your 5 miles

Best place is PANS OPS which is the design criteria all the ICAO member states are supposed to use

http://www.icao.int/icaonet/dcs/8168...4_advanced.pdf (http://www.icao.int/icaonet/dcs/8168/8168_v1_5ed_amend_14_advanced.pdf)

read that if you're desperate for something to do 744

Yea im hearing you but at 14000 you arent going to hit anything anyway.

Its 5NM beyond the holding area - its the area that they calculate will be required given aircraft speed, winds etc so a hold which is available to a cat c aircraft will be a lot larger than a cat A hold.

Icarus2001
29th Apr 2011, 04:24
I find the AIP doesn't specifically mention the left/right track limitations except for the 5nm beyond basic holding area limit and the obstacle clearance limits

Have another look, because...- Enroute track horizontal distance tolerances (Left/Right of track)
- Approach Arc tolerances
- Holding tolerances
- Approach tolerances VOR, NDB, ILS, RNAV
is all in there.