PDA

View Full Version : The Wedding Flypast

snapper41
27th Apr 2011, 16:20
The Telegraph is reporting that the Wedding Flypast will be a grand total of 7 aircraft, 3 of which will be BBMF. It's a sad day when this is all we can muster.

airpolice
27th Apr 2011, 16:32
Maybe the rest of the pilots (those not away on ops or on QRA) will be at the wedding.

If this really was "Just a wedding" there would be an extra pair of rotary pilots available.

UpShutter
27th Apr 2011, 16:34
The rest are busy doing what they are supposed to do.

They won't be flying as it's a Bank Holiday. Do you mean they'll be watching on TV? :rolleyes:

WillDAQ
27th Apr 2011, 16:42
It's a sad day when this is all we can musterWell we could swap it with fly past over Libya that day, but i'm not really sure that 'persecuting kinetic effect' on Westminster Abbey will go down that well.

BEagle
27th Apr 2011, 17:13
Well, it would seem that here's one person who will have to watch the event on TV:

Has Prince William personally banned Tony Blair from the royal wedding? – Telegraph Blogs (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100085107/has-prince-william-personally-excluded-tony-blair-from-the-royal-wedding/)

HEALTH WARNING! LINK CONTAINS IMAGES OF THE OLEAGINOUS LITTLE $HIT BLIAR

If the Torygraph's article is true, then well done, Prince William! Good luck to you and to your delightful future wife.

Runaway Gun
27th Apr 2011, 17:48
I'm mightily impressed with the calibre of Grumpy Old Men on here.

Some complain that a pilot (Royal or not) has a day off at his own wedding, or his brother's, or a squadron mate's. Then some whinge that the Royal is only a Flt Lt, others will soon whinge about the cost of the BBMF. Then some are complaining that not EVERYONE is out sweating in the desert (or dare I say hotels in the Med). Allah be praised that some of you have left the military...

Next thing you'll be crying that you've only got one day off, or that the 3D television coverage don't work on your old Black and White Tube Machine, or that you weren't invited.

Give the guy (and lucky gal) a break.

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2011, 18:11
Oh stop moaning.

Anyway I am looking forward to a nice quite day without the nagger. Last time I managed to day-return to Cherbourg and back in time to splice the mainbrace.

This time I will have to make do with a beer in the garden shed.

The Oberon
27th Apr 2011, 18:18
Wot no Sea King !!

Runaway Gun
27th Apr 2011, 18:21
Actually I meant, give the lucky GUY a break :E

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2011, 18:50
So easy, bait the hook, cast, catch, haul in :)

Sgt.Slabber
27th Apr 2011, 19:35

:yuk::yuk::yuk:

Bl88dy H3ll, Beags. Good job I've got a spare monitor... Objects such as that should be banned :yuk:

Well done indeed, sir :D

Wander00
27th Apr 2011, 20:22
Seaking has the cans tied on ready for use as the "going away" cab!!

Willard Whyte
27th Apr 2011, 22:39
Couldn't the flypast be outsourced to some other organisation with fewer current commitments.

Like the Japs, Chinks or Ruskies.

TEEEJ
28th Apr 2011, 00:20
Airspace Co-ordination Notice - Royal Wedding Flypast - Buckingham Palace 29 April 2011

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11225649/473789875/name/2011040056ACN10FlypastRoyalWedding.pdf

TJ

Ogre
28th Apr 2011, 02:51
Is it just my eyesight, or does Para 4 have the heading "FATS jet formation"?

Spoilt the whole thing

Whenurhappy
28th Apr 2011, 06:56
I posted this on the other Royal Wedding Flypast thread about 3 weeks ago:

Bah humbug, grumble grumble...biggest public event for 30 years....a day we'll all remember...grumble grumble....I remember seeing Kate and Wills, gosh they looked so young then...a huge waste of public money....spend it on schools...it was great to see BBMF and operational aircraft, mind you, no Harriers....he was a proper pilot, he was....those days we could get a 1000 soldiers lining the route....tears in me eyes....grumble grumble...waste of my day off....Charles and Di? yes I remember that day too....proper street party in them days....'elf and safety...waste of money....made you proud to be British....we could really do them events in those days....grumble grumble....didn't get TOIL...bloody asylum seekers...the RAF was 41,000 strong then...could fit'em in me local sports centre now....waste of money...all them horses an' manure...who'll pay for that lot, eh? Aye, was a grand day...bloody bands? Who need's em....bloody Army....ad nauseum

Well, I'm looking forward to it - off to help host a diplomatic reception tomorrow: good food and wine and some amazingly eager locals and expats who would put many UK-based people to shamewith their fervour!

dead_pan
28th Apr 2011, 07:48
Couldn't the flypast be outsourced to some other organisation with fewer current commitments

I hear the Libyan Air Force has some time on their hands. Or does the NFZ extend to central London?

Are the Reds planning a last-minute sneaky crowd-pleasing appearance (like when we won the Olympics), or haven't they got their display authority yet?

Off Hot
28th Apr 2011, 07:49
Not if the 'Hawks grounded' thread has any truth in it!!

November4
28th Apr 2011, 08:07
Well, it would seem that here's one person who will have to watch the event on TV:

Has Prince William personally banned Tony Blair from the royal wedding? – Telegraph Blogs

If the Torygraph's article is true, then well done, Prince William! Good luck to you and to your delightful future wife.

Read the article and loved this comment...

I used to be a republican until I read this.

airpolice
28th Apr 2011, 08:10
Near the middle of page 8 the ditribution list includes Western Radar.

Ah, that takes me back, maybe, just maybe in this shrinking airforce, all of old units will make a comeback.

BEagle
28th Apr 2011, 09:03
Good grief - Western Radar!

I seem to recall having spoken to them when positioning for boom runs in the Gnat and Hunter in 1975 - when did they disappear?

I always pictured 'Cotswold Radar' as being manned by a couple of aged air traffickers living in a wooden shack deep in the countryside outside somewhere like Moreton-in-Marsh.... And the infamous 'Midland Radar Overhead' - those old units had such a quaintness about them

Back to the Royal Wedding, I see that Jack 'Man of' Straw is now moaning that neither Bliar nor Broon have been invited.....:hmm:

FantomZorbin
28th Apr 2011, 11:48
Western Radar, aah ... that would be "Cymru Look You" :E

PICKS135
28th Apr 2011, 13:36
Reds are currently in Cyprus practising not to hit each other

Torque Tonight
28th Apr 2011, 15:08
7 aircraft. Impressive! West London Aero Club puts up more than that to celebrate a barbeque.

How we used to do it. 300 on the ground, 650 in the air:

Royal_Coronation_Review_1953.avi (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4032767438593141542#)

Off Hot
28th Apr 2011, 15:45
Wow, genuine thanks for posting that vid.

Would love to embark on a claim that our diminished numbers could wield a similar effect due to advances in technology, training etc.

But it's just not even vaguely true...
:(

NutLoose
28th Apr 2011, 15:59
7 aircraft. Impressive! West London Aero Club puts up more than that to celebrate a barbeque.

ROFL :D:D:D:D:E

Shame the Lanc couldn't do a dogleg over the Houses of Parliament and notch up another mission tally........;):p

airsound
28th Apr 2011, 16:18
Defence News from the MoD has surpassed itself today with this little gem (my bold)
Yesterday at RAF Coningsby the fast jet element of the Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, comprising two Tornado GR4s and two Typhoons, rehearsed their formation for the flypastYou couldn't write this stuff.....

airsound

PS For anyone who's interested in this huge flypast, it's due at 1330A. (Sorry, I know you could have got that from the AirSpace Coord Notice)

SASless
28th Apr 2011, 16:31
I hate to be one who pees in the punch....but "Who" pays for this Gala? Is this a "family affair" thus all this is out of the "Royal" purse and not by the common folk who pay the taxes?

Being an ex-colonial Cousin with ties to Nottinghamshire....and certainly not even remotely related to anything Royal....my thoughts is Mum should open her Her checkbook and pick up the Tab.

Torque Tonight
28th Apr 2011, 16:37
I think these sort of flypasts are a pretty good yardstick for the amount of fat or stretch in the system. The presence of four frontline aircraft for the marriage of the future king and queen, a state occasion in the presence of worldwide heads of state and a TV audience of billions, to me says 'f*****' or shall we say 'chinstrapped' to be polite.

I wonder we are approaching the time when the greater British public will begin to wonder 'Whatever happened to the RAF? It just slipped away without anyone noticing like Jeremy Beadle or Opal Fruits'.

BEagle
28th Apr 2011, 18:48
The owners of a certain large, triangular aeroplane allegedly offered to provide a flypast for the Royal Wedding.

But it would seem some sniffy palace fag-hag retorted that "Her Majesty has enought of her own aircraft for the flypast, without the need for any civilian assistance...".

Or so I heard.

dead_pan
28th Apr 2011, 21:00
If I were them I'd arrange to fly-by anyway shortly after the 'official' fly-by. They could daub the words "Vive la revolution!" on the underside for good measure.

Stitchbitch
28th Apr 2011, 21:12
Looks like BBCs Jake Humphrey will be broadcasting from the Lancaster tomorrow as the boys lead the formation. :ok:.

teeteringhead
28th Apr 2011, 21:12
You couldn't write this stuff..... ... you certainly couldn't!

I've just watched a reporter (really relevantly) standing on an Anglesey beach saying:

"And this is where Prince William works for the Coastguard!!"

.... over to you crab@ ;)

TEEEJ
28th Apr 2011, 23:18
RAF Flypast Rehearsal for the Royal Wedding

Flypast Rehearsal (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=E74927C6-5056-A318-A8275D790E7347EA)

TJ

Two's in
29th Apr 2011, 00:08
Got to love all these public domain details...

Ted Striker: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?

Ted Striker: I can't tell you that. It's classified.

Whenurhappy
29th Apr 2011, 04:55
The Telegraph reports that Flt Lt Wales will wear the scarlet tunic and rank of a Colonel in the Irish Guards. Is he, err, tacking the Mick?

Yozzer
29th Apr 2011, 05:40
If the Lancaster goes tech today it will be extremely embarassing for the boys in blue; for the 'airborne spares' which I assume to be a Tiffie & Tonka will do little to make up the deficit.

I know that the elastic has snapped, but this example of RAF on parade is IMHO a disgrace, and if political, there are other ways to make the point without looking like dicks in front of the entire world. A couple of diamond fours from the training world would have / could have made a difference.

29th Apr 2011, 06:27
Well I'm on shift today and can be in London in an hour if anyone needs an emergency flypast at late notice:):):)

Halton Brat
29th Apr 2011, 07:38
Oh Lord, that video of the 1953 Review launched me into a spotter-frenzy of Biblical proportions; B29 Superfortress, F86 Sabre. My, what an Air Force we had then......not a Wiggins Aerodyne to be seen though.......

I wish this delightful young couple many years of happy life together; may the wind be always at their back, may the road rise up to meet them, and may they live to see their children's children.........

(Irish)HB

Stitchbitch
29th Apr 2011, 08:30
Lanc WONT be going U/S (tech? wtf?), more likely the bi-foons or tonkas will.:E

pasptoo
29th Apr 2011, 08:36
interesting vmax on the mk3a for flypast duties!

would be good for a med transfer to london at about 1200 though!

Seriously though, It is disgraceful that we can only manage 7 aircraft for the future King. :( :{ :sad:

I hope his coronation is better!

jayteeto
29th Apr 2011, 08:38
I might be years behind everyone else, but they say that he is getting married in Irish Guards uniform...... Is that not a bit off??

Willard Whyte
29th Apr 2011, 08:42
I hope his coronation is better!

Half a dozen Mantis and a brace of Taranis I should think.

Union Jack
29th Apr 2011, 08:43
The Telegraph reports that Flt Lt Wales will wear the scarlet tunic and rank of a Colonel in the Irish Guards.

With a degree of sympathy to our light blue friends that Flt Lt HRH The Duke of Cambridge will not be wearing what he wears in his "day job", I suspect that the decision that he should wear the uniform of the Irish Guards is a somewhat less than subtle nod to our Irish friends in advance of HM's forthcoming very significant visit to the Republic.

Is he, err, ta(c)king the Mick?

Nice one, Whenurhappy!:ok:

Jack

sisemen
29th Apr 2011, 08:57
Following on from Beagle's submission at post #6 I think that one of the other factors is that it was Blair, pushed by Broon, that got rid of Royal Yacht Britannia as a "cost saving measure"

Apparently the Queen loved that boat and could not see any good reason for ditching it. So maybe Broon and Blair were not invited as a "cost saving measure".

Revenge is a dish best eaten cold :E

BATCO
29th Apr 2011, 09:02
Whilst I'm disappointed that he will not be wearing his RAF uniform a couple of thoughts:

It is surely a matter of choice: I chose to wear my RAF uniform for my wedding. BUT, he is not just an officer in the RAF (prince, 2nd in line to throne, holds honorary rank in a number of regts etc). So who chose his uniform for today an why that choice?

Whichever uniform he (or his advisors) chose was going to be to the exclusion of the other uniform possibilities and hence could be taken as a slight (no matter how small) by those who sport the uniforms so excluded. Hence my opening remark.

If he had worn his RAF uniform today, despite the additional trimmings he gets to wear (and don't we all prefer that ceremonial belt rather than under-belt and sling?), he would have looked pretty dowdy against the rest of his family and army friends. And that is the outcome of successive CAS and members of the RAF dress policy committee.

Anyway, best of luck to him.

Batco

BEagle
29th Apr 2011, 09:06
The reason given in the Telegraph was that his honorary colonelcy means that the Duke of Cambridge will be able to wear his most 'senior' uniform.

Even photos of the 1953 Coronation show that, by then, the RAF 'ceremonial' uniform (high necked tunic, shoulder boards, gold rank braid, sword with belt and busby with plume) had been phased out. RAF No1 HD, even with a sword belt, is rather a bland uniform, regrettably, so Prince William's choice isn't really very surprising.

Union Jack
29th Apr 2011, 09:21
Cheer up, chaps - The Duke is wearing the right wings!:ok:

Jack

Bill4a
29th Apr 2011, 10:03
I do like the idea of not inviting Bliar and Broon as a cost saving measure, what a pity we will never know the truth. :D

Senior Pilot
29th Apr 2011, 10:10
Cheer up, chaps - The Duke is wearing the right wings!:ok:

Jack

And from the faded condition of his Dad's ones, I'd say they are his original wings from the sleeve of his No 5's as a Lieutenant :ok:

Jollygreengiant64
29th Apr 2011, 12:32
Spectacular!

europaflyer
29th Apr 2011, 12:36
BBMF,2xTyphoon, 2xTornado. That is the RAF making a political point, and all credit to them for doing so.

BEagle
29th Apr 2011, 12:49
Tornado on the right was a bit loose though....:\

Overall, a great day. Best wishes to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge!

Heliringer
29th Apr 2011, 12:52
What was the go, a new formation or four ppls doing the fly past......

Tankertrashnav
29th Apr 2011, 12:59
Oh Lord, that video of the 1953 Review launched me into a spotter-frenzy of Biblical proportions; B29 Superfortress ...,

I've moaned enough about the uniform on the other threads so on this one I'll just be a pedant and point out that in RAF service the B29 was known as the Washington.

Stand to be corrected though.

uffington sb
29th Apr 2011, 13:02
Nice vid TT.
Must have taken ages to bull those Washingtons up to that shine, and that Victor was making a strange noise, a bit like the 707 in Airplane!

Halton Brat
29th Apr 2011, 13:12
Tankertrashnav

You are, of course, entirely correct re B29/Washington. I fear that I was overwhelmed by the sight of so many interesting aircraft in one place.

Sadly, the RAF to come would have to resort to Hollywood-calibre CGI to produce the same visual impact..........

Evalu8ter
29th Apr 2011, 13:24
Very neat but hardly awe-inspiring. A shame about the Reds, but given the day jobs of the groom and best man, and as a nod to the work the men of their honourary colonelcies, it would have been nice to see a pair of Queenies and Chinooks rattle up the Mall. On second thoughts though, the sight of a Chinook would have conjured up all sorts of "Will's chopper in Kate's backyard" gags again!

Thought they both looked great, his wings were proudly worn. Wonder what the odds are on Harry getting "danger close" to Kate's sister later on are?

Pontius Navigator
29th Apr 2011, 13:34
Spitfire back, much lower and nice flypast and wing waggle as it head back to base.

Mechta
29th Apr 2011, 13:50
Just watched that 1953 Royal Coronation Review. I didn't catch on that it was Odiham the first time I scanned through it.

If only they could do it now, I would love to see the face of the sad git in our estate who writes down the time and direction of every 'wokka wokka' and has a moan about it, with 650 aircraft flying over. Now that would be what I call priceless!

AndoniP
29th Apr 2011, 13:58
Wonder what the odds are on Harry getting "danger close" to Kate's sister later on are?

i don't think there's anyone who wouldn't seeing her in that dress ;)

Mechta
29th Apr 2011, 14:10
Quote:
Wonder what the odds are on Harry getting "danger close" to Kate's sister later on are?
I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't seeing her in that dress

The whole of London is a 'target rich environment' at the moment, full of tasty totty with love on their minds.

arandcee
29th Apr 2011, 14:19
well, the Duchess of Cambridge deemed it a 'perfect formation' so I'm not going to argue!!

Could be the last?
29th Apr 2011, 14:24
I think she needs my specs!!!!

Union Jack
29th Apr 2011, 14:37
SAR Sea King plus Royal Air Force ensign! Happy now?:ok:

Jack

adr
29th Apr 2011, 14:38
Anyone know how many aircraft were in the first royal wedding flypast, in 1923?

Yes, I've looked in AP3003.

adr

Shackman
29th Apr 2011, 14:40
Well done the SAR Force. Excellent timing and a much better fly past!

:D:D :ok::ok:

stumpey
29th Apr 2011, 14:43
I thought it was a pathetic fly-past. Four jets? FFS!

It needed at least another section, or split the four into two plus two. Would have been much better with just the BBMF and a Seaking, (Trailing ribbons and flags looking like tin cans). :)

Does this accurately reflect what the Royal Air Farce has been reduced to?

(On second thoughts, it could have been led by a "Beaver")! :E

Yozzer
29th Apr 2011, 14:44
It is not often that I store away my SARBOY banter and demonstrate overt respect but...........

Well done that crew 10/10 and I hope you get a bollicking for low flying :ok::ok:

Shackman
29th Apr 2011, 15:11
Stumpey obviously missed the Sea King, ensign et al - although at one stage I thought they were trying to pick up the statue of Queen Vic as a trophy!

Hats off to the crew (or maybe hats on tomorrow!)

dicky j
29th Apr 2011, 15:27
Loved the Sea King and Wills in Charlies 1970 Aston Martin....but the BBC must hang their heads in shame...what a cock up with Jake Humphrey in the Lanc !

Wander00
29th Apr 2011, 15:27
Well done the Seaking crew - and the others, but dissapointed only 4 jets - we must be stretched!

Two's in
29th Apr 2011, 15:32
I thought it was a pathetic fly-past. Four jets? FFS!

Well you see, no matter what they did, they were always on a hiding to nothing. If the assembled might of the UK based RAF had thundered overhead, every screaming republican and tax dodger would have been crying blue murder about the cost. If they had a UAS Tutor fly down the Mall at about 4 o'clock to avoid the traffic, everyone would have claimed it failed to recognise the value the Royal Family brings, or the strategic importance of our air assets.

Everyone is an expert judge, jury, and excutioner these days. 24 hour instant soundbites that masquerade as news demand instant opinions from peons who shouldn't be out and about without adult supervsion.

As a result we all overlook the fact that it was a magnificent occasion for everyone, not just the happy couple. As part of that occasion, members of HMF provided a unique and superbly executed aviation backdrop that (IMO) was a perfect balance in terms of spectacle versus controversy.

Trim Stab
29th Apr 2011, 15:45
Anybody got a link to a vid of the Sea King?

I missed that bit as I was logging in to my pooter in order to put in an indignant complaint on Prune that there was no SAR Seaking in the flypast.

Wander00
29th Apr 2011, 16:01
Two's In - yes all in all a great and happy day - and all the boys and girls who were on duty from 00silly did a fantastic job as usual - wish I was a few years younger and still "in"!

BOAC
29th Apr 2011, 16:06
Thank you Two's in - absolutely

Could I divert this thread for a moment to praise the splendour of the army and of course the efforts of the police, not forgetting ALL those staff on the RAF stations who must have worked their socks off to get 6 or 8 jets serviceable, and 4 on-time and in the right place, whilst maintaining north and south IAF and a small business in the north of Africa and.............

All together a memorable day indeed. Enough carping and let's enjoy!

spekesoftly
29th Apr 2011, 16:37
Tornado on the right was a bit loose though....:\Yes, but fortunately it wasn't noticed by the happy couple. Watching a replay of the flypast, it's easy to lip-read the Duchess of Cambridge turn towards to her new husband and say "Perfect Formation".

Yozzer
29th Apr 2011, 16:40
The 'Victoria' on the Victoria statue is 13` high. Using this as scale, the overall statue(s) must be about 70/75` high. Even with a high mounted camera; the flypast was quite low, and badly needed. Good skills.:E

Now back to normal:

"SAAAARRRR BOOOYYYSSS!!!!!"

Capetonian
29th Apr 2011, 17:03
The BBC televised coverage of the flypast was pathetic, a disgrace, and an insult to all involved.

November4
29th Apr 2011, 17:22
Plain and simple....

Well done to all involved. Did the Country proud....as ever. :D

and the Seaking...brilliant! Hope the rollicking is given with a smile

Never thought I would say this but...well done to the Met Pol for arresting those before they got a chance to protest. The civil liberties people are screaming so must have done something right.

lpstanton
29th Apr 2011, 17:34
Rollicking for what? It was parallax error that made it look lower than it was.....:cool:

Spanish Waltzer
29th Apr 2011, 17:36
BBC News - Royal wedding: William drives bride in Aston Martin (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13238996)

SW

November4
29th Apr 2011, 17:50
Rollicking for what?

I was only going by those making previous comments. But did look a bit lower than the other aircraft in the fly past. If that was down to parallax error that made it look lower than it was

Can we see more of that effect in future..? :D

Trim Stab
29th Apr 2011, 17:51
Excellent touch by RAF SAR - thanks for that SW.

BEagle
29th Apr 2011, 19:01
Great touch to have driven off in Charles' classic Aston.

Of course all helicopters are pig ugly clattering monstrosities which only fly due to repulsion from the earth's surface, but the SAR Sea King was an excellent touch, I would certainly agree!

Cows getting bigger
29th Apr 2011, 19:30
Well done SAR. :ok:

Fareastdriver
29th Apr 2011, 19:46
On would have thought that the Royal Mews, having kept a Roller going from the 50s, would not have had that ghastly 7 inch headlight conversion installed. I would have hpoed that they would have had the wherewithall, or the contacts, to replate and modify the original 12 inch reflectors to keep them street legal. Not that it would matter as Aunty Betty's wagons do not need to be registerd anywaY.

Apart from that, the day was fantastic, and a lot of people I know in China wish they still had an Emperor.

Stitchbitch
29th Apr 2011, 19:48
Well done SAR, well done Besty, well done bi-foon and Tonka, but especially well done to the three wheezy old aeroplanes that got over the palace on time and on target (no L.II pods needed).:ok:

adr
Thanks for that link, SW. I'd missed that highlight. :ok:

And BEAgle, c'mon, you know, geoplanar repulsion is only half the story; just one of the two effects that make rotary aircraft stay in the air.

The other one is vibration. :E

Well done to all involved. Downing one in your honour in about an hour. :cool:

adr

Lima Juliet
I've been keeping my trap shut about the yellow chopper for the past 4 days - I hope this was a cracking surprise for the Prince!

LJ:ok:

Romeo Oscar Golf
29th Apr 2011, 20:07
Captonian said
The BBC televised coverage of the flypast was pathetic, a disgrace, and an insult to all involved.

and he was spot on.
It made Baxter look outstanding.
I haven't seen any other broadcaster's attempts but they couldn't be worse than the BBC.
A great day, especially for the girls, and it did my wife (surrounded by carers and nurses) a power of good, and made up for her being bed-ridden. However being swamped with women weeping with emotion etc. I said just you wait for the real highlight, the RAF flypast.:O

what next
29th Apr 2011, 20:20
I haven't seen any other broadcaster's attempts but they couldn't be worse than the BBC.

Ohhhh, you haven't heard the commentary on german television then! "There's a Lancaster bomber in the middle and a Spitfire and another .... er .... fighter ... those are the three ... goes all very fast ... because they need to make place for the more modern aircraft ... among them two Phantoms for example ... there they come ... and fly as slow as they can ... a so-called Windsor formation!"

Union Jack
29th Apr 2011, 20:26
I've been keeping my trap shut about the yellow chopper for the past 4 days - I hope this was a cracking surprise for the Prince!

Leon - I'm not surprised - that's surely a matter for you and your medical officer alone, and nothing to do with the Flt Lt Cambridge!:E

Jack

PS Only kidding, as evidenced by my post at 1537 - BZ all concerned!:ok:

Lima Juliet
29th Apr 2011, 20:36
UJ

I have no idea what YOU are talking about...

http://www.yodathewise.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/For%20sale/bikes/yellow1.JPG

LJ:ok:

thorpey
29th Apr 2011, 20:43
I'm sure it was a cracking suprise for the Prince, it made my day seeing the Yellow cab doing it's thing. Congrats to all.

Union Jack
29th Apr 2011, 21:03
I have no idea what YOU are talking about...

Leon - Why your funny looking gear lever of course ......:ok:

Jack

Alber Ratman
29th Apr 2011, 22:11
Well done to everybody from the RAF, the RN and the Army involved today. They have had to work when others in the military have had the day off, especially those on the ground in London, who have been mucked about with practices at ungodly hours. :ok:

Shame the flypast wasn't more impressive, but that is the fault of a few governments, present and past..:mad:

Romeo Oscar Golf
30th Apr 2011, 01:06
OK this is for old farts, but can you remember the times when one Squadron could produce at least ten of the Nato declared sixteen for a flypast. Those were the days..... 40 or so aircrew on a Sqn, and first and second line sevicing done by the guys you knew. The bonus of dozens of single (female) teachers living in the Mess!
Perhaps the RAF was sending a message.....perhaps not.
A poor do and that is not to take away from the guys who sweated blood to get the flypast airborne. Fcuk all pollies 'cos they do not understand. I'm glad that two of the cnuts were expelled.
Sorry for the profanity, but good red wine (pinot noir) and contempt to those who make the crass decisions pushes one beyond the acceptable norm.

Neptunus Rex
30th Apr 2011, 05:42
The Sea King flypast was absolutely inspired. In the present climate, the crew and the authorising officer have all got huge cojones.

How did they get the timing right? It had to be pre-positioned, then launched and held until called in. Could someone in the know at Wattisham please let us know how it was accomplished?

500N
30th Apr 2011, 06:17
I put this in the other thread but I think it is better here.

Going by the TV coverage and from my observation, I think the SAR helicopter, the flag, the low height and the timing really made the finale and put the RAF up there. William also looked pleased when he looked up from the car.

Anyway, that's what it felt like from my HO.

Lima Juliet
30th Apr 2011, 07:59
The Prince was scheduled to leave the Wedding Breakfast around 1530hrs and I believe it was DCINC Ops on a radio that called the SK in.

Make sense?

When we do the Trooping of the Colour flypast, it is normally called in by someone on the roof of New Zealand House or another good vantage point.

LJ

Trim Stab
30th Apr 2011, 08:09
I understand that the BBMF Spitfires and Hurricanes are usually flown by Coningsby Typhoon pilots, but who flies the Lancaster? Do truckies commute in from Brize Norton?

Lima Juliet
30th Apr 2011, 08:12
Having done it myself - the pilots normally come from Coningsby, Cranwell or Waddington ( in extremis Marham, Cottesmore or Wittering). You don't want to be too far away as you normally plan a couple of days before and the journey time would be a nause.

LJ

lurkposition
30th Apr 2011, 09:20
Congratulations to the professional guys and girls from the SAR Force.
It all brought back memories of the flypasts I flew and the difficult timing due to the rather sedentiary speed of my beloved SK.
The secret is to find somewhere close by to, er, lurk (hence...) whilst waiting for the 5 and 1 minute call.

SARBOYS! :D

TheWizard
30th Apr 2011, 09:39
I understand that the BBMF Spitfires and Hurricanes are usually flown by Coningsby Typhoon pilots, but who flies the Lancaster? Do truckies commute in from Brize Norton?

The internet has all the answers here: BBMF Crews (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/thecrews/)

Spanish Waltzer
30th Apr 2011, 09:44
Captions?......

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/287724273.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1304157253&Signature=0SOmohVTrXRHYi6%2BMYgBdiYpQ4A%3D

:mad:
SW

:=....yes yes you're right....absolutley nothing to do with the flypast but the other wedding threads have disappeared down rabbit holes too :rolleyes:

Grabbers
30th Apr 2011, 09:47
Mind the veil Pippa, Kate will want it back soon.

Clockwork Mouse
30th Apr 2011, 10:17
Grabbers
Do you have to work hard on your unpleasantness or does it come naturally?

Lord Spandex Masher
30th Apr 2011, 11:45
Although he has got a sense of humour, clearly missing from some other posters!

Stitchbitch
30th Apr 2011, 12:00
TS, crew were from Waddo, Lyneham & Sleaford tech. Do you think the Nav will get a ribbing for the 'congrats' message on his helmet? :E

Neptunus Rex
30th Apr 2011, 12:25
Don't know about that, but said Nav should get a Bravo Zulu for spot-on timing.

30th Apr 2011, 15:47
Sea King ZH540 (a Mk 3A) - flown by OC B Flt 22 Sqn, OC SAR Standards and a couple of the SARF's finest door sliders and crowd wavers;)

Authed to 200ft I believe but flown slightly higher for extra visibility to crowd and TV.

Held at Blackfriars bridge and called in by mobile phone from the palace using Airwave set on the aircraft.

OC B flt's second flight up the Mall, the first was a few years ago taking a SK to land at the palace!

Wander00
30th Apr 2011, 16:17
And very well done too. DCO!

tilleydog1
30th Apr 2011, 16:37
I had to laugh when Huw Edwards described the RAF ensign as Prince Williams personal banner! Thought the appearance of the SK was a great touch, congrats to the crew.

snaggletooth
30th Apr 2011, 19:32
Lovely flypast down The Mall yesterday. Nice to see MilSAR doing the do, flawlessly, in the gaze of circa 2 billion. Good work fellas, and lasses Ma'am.

Hopefully the spots of oils-various will come out of PC's dress at the dry cleaners.

mmitch
30th Apr 2011, 20:33
As Prince Andrew was shown on the balcony waving to the Sea King, I wonder if it was him who made the phone call?
mmitch.

Pontius Navigator
30th Apr 2011, 20:48
mmitch read post 101

WHBM
1st May 2011, 07:24
Ah, you weren't stuck in a hotel overseas like some of us, having to make do with CNN !

"And in the next limo to leave the Buck-ing-HAM Palace is the Queen Elizabeth and the Dook of Edin-BURG ..." :rolleyes:

Romeo Oscar Golf
1st May 2011, 18:22
Point taken, perhaps the BBC coverage was not the worst. However, we had been given full time coverage of posh tottie,( some old some young ) lots of toy soldiers wearing banana republic type military uniforms(some old some young) clergy ditto, and a million or more sad folk looking happy, surely it's not asking too much to train the cameras on some "planes" (some old some young) for more than a few seconds.:*

r2_unit
1st May 2011, 19:28
On a lighter note...

The sight of Pippa bending over to adjust the bridal train outside the Abbey was (in the words of Boris Johnson) enough to make an Arch Bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window.

My oath!

Alber Ratman
1st May 2011, 19:33
Romeo Oscar Golf.. Stop being such a Victor Meldrew...:E

Tanewha
1st May 2011, 20:06
Union Jack, Shackman, Yozzer, Wonder00, Trim Stab, November4, BEagle, Cows getting bigger, Stichbitch, Romeo Oscar Golf, thorpey, Neptunus Rex, lurkposition and tilleydog1. Very nice comments from all of you. It's nice to know that SAR is appreciated even if it is for fishing in the Mall. :O I also enjoyed the SK flypast enormously. ;) Thanks boys.:D

Union Jack
1st May 2011, 20:22
Tanewha

We aim to please - you aim too, please!:ok:

Jack

robin
1st May 2011, 20:30
The sight of Pippa bending over to adjust the bridal train outside the Abbey was (in the words of Boris Johnson) enough to make an Arch Bishop kick a hole in a stained glass window

Pedant mode on

I think you'll find the original quote was by Raymond Chandler

Pedant mode off

r2_unit
1st May 2011, 21:13
Robin,

Consider my hat doffed sir!

R2

Shack37
1st May 2011, 21:28
surely it's not asking too much to train the cameras on some "planes" (some old some young) for more than a few seconds

Romeo Oscar Golf.. Stop being such a Victor Meldrew

"planes" on a Mil Aircrew thread.............."I doon't believe it!!!!

Bertie Thruster
2nd May 2011, 05:57
flown by OC B Flt 22 Sqn

Proud to read this in relation to the Royal Wedding 'fly past'!

(BT; the only two timing OC B Flt 22 Sqn. (Leuchars and Wattisham)

Wiretensioner
2nd May 2011, 19:09
You might have been boss at Wattisham, Bertie but you had to convert to a real SAR helicopter!!

Wiretensioner

henry crun
3rd May 2011, 07:44
Torque Tonight, Thank you for posting that link to the Coronation Review, I was there and appear brieflly standing in front of my NF11.

It is the first time I have seen any film of the event, because there was no TV in the tented camp at Odiham and I missed any subsequent showing on the news in a cinema and on tv.