PDA

View Full Version : SAR in Tasmania

cficare
27th Apr 2011, 04:09
Earlier this morning a mayday was broadcast on the Tasmania east coast (on marine frequency).

Just noticed the the SAR Dornier is en-route to Tas from Vic.

Not many years ago Tasmania had two SAR organisations that (Tasair and Tas Aero club) could respond in very little time and potentially save lives.

Thats progress..

VH-XXX
27th Apr 2011, 04:29
What kind of aircraft did the Aero Club use?

I'm thinking from an outsider perspective that a turbine equipped dedicated Dornier IFR SAR aircraft with trained professionals on board would be better value than a C172 from an aero club and it could also get there pretty quickly, even if from its' Essendon base. Likewise from a Tasair chieftain or similar....

Just my thoughts from 1,000 ft, nothing derogatory.

cficare
27th Apr 2011, 04:44
aerocommanders in both cases...crews were trained twice yearly, in addition to 3 to 4 'callouts' a year..

eocvictim
27th Apr 2011, 08:47
KAK had a couple of extra radios, a pull in door and did 155kts at best ... Compared to the 328? Even if it does has to travel an extra 190nm to start its search?

Howard Hughes
27th Apr 2011, 09:54
I would think speed is not that important to a SAR aircraft once you have reached the scene. 172, Dornier, or Aero Commander would all do the job well once on task.

But as CFI said, that's progress...

PLovett
27th Apr 2011, 11:49
Now thought that the "MAYDAY" was a hoax. :mad:

sru
28th Apr 2011, 07:39
cficare,

Just curious, what Marine channel did you hear the "MAYDAY" on?

CharlieLimaX-Ray
29th Apr 2011, 01:47
Might be worth some of you guys have a read of the book, Dick Richey The Flying Fisherman, amazing what one man in a Piper Cub can achieve.

A story did the rounds many years ago about a missing ship called the Blythe Star and the search being conducted my the RAAF in PC-3 Orions.
Local pilots were not allowed to paricipate in the search because the experts in the RAAF had all the bases covered, fortunately some weeks later the remaining survivors washed ashore!

eocvictim
29th Apr 2011, 04:37
HH I was thinking more the advantage of advanced search and surveillance gear in the back, or lack there of in the shrike.

cficare
29th Apr 2011, 08:41
eoc ....the only advantage of the shrike was 12 pairs of eyes, a beacon homing radio, fully equipped to drop rafts and supplies and hours earlier on the scene...if they were still 'warm' the FLIR may have located the bodies....