PDA

View Full Version : 2 minute noodles

Cessna Master Beta
26th Apr 2011, 05:31
Hi all.
After some time up north it seems that 2 minute noodles are quintessential pilot food. It must be hard to stick to that diet when your second job is night packing at Woolies
What is your favorite brand?. For me the best brand is Mi goreng. Its hard go past the handy 5 packs ,low price and added spices
How do you spice it up,add an egg?, maybe something fancy like a frozen prawn. What is your favorite recipe?
Any tips for budget eating while living the dream? :E

baron_beeza
26th Apr 2011, 05:39
Haha, add an egg.
I have done that on occasions - just break it in and stir it in. Has to be good for you, - doesn't it ?

capt.cynical
26th Apr 2011, 05:47
Careful CMB Masterchef might recruit you ! :p:uhoh:

Towering Q
26th Apr 2011, 05:47
Master Beta, as someone who is proving to be a half decent Nut Strangler, you must learn to deal with these issues of Pilot Envy...it's not doing you any good.

In regards to your topic...consume the Mi Goreng noodles in moderation, they are loaded with fat.:eek:

eocvictim
26th Apr 2011, 06:42
I'd be more worried about the amount of preservatives. A lot of nasty stuff if you eat more than a couple a week!

Waghi Warrior
26th Apr 2011, 07:22
Ahh there is nothing better than being on a Jetstar flight and they are serving up 2 minute noodles, NOT ! Stinks the hell out of the cabin !

You could mention your taste for 2 minute noodles on your Jetstar application if you've got one in !!!!!! :p

The Green Goblin
26th Apr 2011, 09:16
Good thread, almost as important as the 'top end' thread.

I used to cook chicken pieces and mix it through. You can also add chili paste to spice it up, or cajan seasoning :)

Mi goreng would have to be the best, although I used to keep a bag of maggi chicken noodles in my nav bag. You crush the noodles while still in the pack, add the seasoning and eat them raw. Works a treat if you're stuck somewhere and didn't have time to eat. They dont taste half bad like this either. Make sure you drink lots of water though, the noodles swell up in your stomach and suck the fluid out of you.

Keeps you feeling full though :)

Another good one is tinned corned beef, or spam. They also mix well through maggi beef noodles :cool:

castrol
26th Apr 2011, 09:40
Boil noodles (don't use flavouring), stir in sweet chilli flavoured canned tuna, re-heat and add grated cheese....wash down with schooner, drive to girlfriends place while taking a grilling phone call from CP for not filling in MR.....get home (caravan) late and have canned peaches with long-life custard...go to sleep on mattress that I prefer not to think about too much...get up and drive 1974 model corolla to work which has a cracked dizzy cap and over-heats.....Aaahhh the memories, thank god for 2 minute noodles.

fencehopper
26th Apr 2011, 09:58
If you are near the ocean or a river then learn how to fish, build a crab pot and pick rock oysters. Freshwater crays from inland dams make a great meal. a couple of cherry tomato plants in pots. i found when living up north that there were always bananas and paw paw ect growing somewhere near roads ect. working at woolies you should check out back for the spoils they toss. The hungrier you get the more wise you get.
FH

YPJT
26th Apr 2011, 10:40
I remember about 20 odd years ago being out bush for a few weeks and constantly filling up on the Maggi 2 min noodles. After a few days I was constantly lethargic and had difficulty concentrating on anything. Would hate to be trying to live on that stuff and fly at the same time.
I doubt ICI chemicals have an inventory that goes anywher near the label on the pack.

JMEN
26th Apr 2011, 11:00
Not to mention the good ole baked beans, oh and the healthy food that was always sold on the plethora of Aboriginal communities, and one wonders why health issues...

PyroTek
26th Apr 2011, 14:41
I'm an avid fan of Mi Goreng. I've turned making it into a fine art.:ok:
Bulk packs of cereal don't go astray too. :ok:

mugzy
26th Apr 2011, 14:49
How do you spice it up,add an egg?

Add plenty of sambal or kecap manis. It's the only way to do it!!

Flying Meat Cleaver
26th Apr 2011, 23:51
Agreed, what a great thread!

If you want real spice in a 2 minute noodle, go for the Korean Brand Nong Shim, 'SHIN RAMYUN' Noodle Soup! Its a Red packet and found in all coles and wooleys. High heat chili flavour. I used to add a bit of red onion, cabbage, and or some bok choy to make it extra filling! Worth a try if you like some real heat!

FMC.

osmosis
27th Apr 2011, 00:21
Can't believe anyone is eating 2 minute noodles; should ban the stuff. In my day I had a cupboard full of black n gold branded baked beans and a freezer full of bread; **** through the eye of needle at 10 paces but good n cheap. Today though, one can buy packets of dried pasta and jars of various flavoured pasta sauces, and long-keeping jars of olives and capers, very cheaply indeed. In less than twenty minutes you can be eating. MREs are another option but here in Aus are difficult to find unless you can access an Indian supermarket.

Octane
27th Apr 2011, 11:38
Speaking as an old hand eating 2 minute noodles, I concur with most of the above.
However, avoid Maggi/ western brands at all cost! Mie goreng or Indo Mie are the way to go with all the sachets of goodies they include (and crazily are cheaper). For extras, I poach a few eggs on top and, wait for it, grate a bit of tasty cheese on top! Give it all a bit of a stir and go for it. Tasty and filling. Excellent and cheap emergency food. Actually, my stomach has just started to grumble....!

AnyGivenSunday99
27th Apr 2011, 11:59
heins beans in the handy middle size tin. rip the lid off (dont lick it... you'll eventually cut your tongue) smash em down Solo-man style, leap in and fire up the sh#tbox old 210 full of your indige Cuzins, drop a fart that would make superman wince and watch for the response from the back. Blame it on the passenger in the front seat. Payback is a bitch!:ok:

tinpis
27th Apr 2011, 20:16
St Vinnies in Stuart Park do a great spread, just bandage up an arm, leg or yer head to merge in with the cognescenti.

PyroTek
28th Apr 2011, 07:13
AGS99 I almost thought you were going to lead on to some sort of impromptu Jet Assisted Take Off (JATO) like the Blue Angels C130:E

frigatebird
28th Apr 2011, 21:15
Always had the noodle packs in the cupboard for when I came in tired, or had come from the Yacht Club and didn't want to spend the time before hitting the sheets. There were also a couple of Chinese restaurants that were frequented on a rotating basis. Cheap and filling, havent eaten so much rice before or since. Liked some of their noodle dishs, and had them often, but noticed that on the following days I felt itchy. Then found out about MSG, which was used with a heavy hand by their cook, so had to forego those ones on their menu. In Suva, just down the hill from my flat, was a great Pizza place (forget the name), -when sitting in a cubicle listening to the jazz music would smother them in sweet chilli sauce - delicious - but would pay for it the next morning..

troppo
30th Apr 2011, 19:27
Just remember...

KID FAD ILL

writer : ILIESA TORA

4/30/2011

Do no eat noodles dry.
That's the advice from the Ministry of Health, following reports that some children have been admitted at health facilities around the country feeling sick after eating dry noodles.

The National Adviser for Non-Communicable Diseases at the Ministry of Health, Dr Isimeli Tukana, said noodles were not meant to be eaten raw.

“This is an abnormal behaviour that may lead to ill health,” he said.

“Please follow instructions on the noodle pack and eat according to instructions on the pack.”

The Fiji Sun has confirmed that there have been some cases of young children being admitted at hospitals around the country after falling ill from eating dry noodles for some time.

On Thursday a case was admitted at the Acute Medical Ward of the Colonial War Memorial Hospital.

Health staff there said the young girl involved had fallen ill after eating dry noodles. Similar cases have been identified in other centres around the country.

Last year a young Delainamasi Government School student was admitted at the CWM Hospital for almost two weeks because of complications brought about after she had been eating dry noodles for some time.

Health Minister Dr Neil Sharma said eating noodles dry should never be an alternative for children, because of its high sodium ingredient.

He said although noodles sold in Fiji were from fortified flour the fact was that people are not following instructions on its use “thus putting themselves at risk of getting ill”.

The Ministry of Health’s School Health teams have expressed their concerns in the past in regards to children eating dry noodles as their lunch or as a snack.

Dr Sharma said the problem was in the flavour consumed with the noodles.

He said a new study in Australia has found that students who eat instant noodles frequently were at greater risk of developing chronic diseases.

“College students who have poor nutritional habits could have long-lasting health effects according to an Australian study,” Dr Sharma said.

The man who undertook the Australia study says health and academic results can be affected.

“There seems to be an acceptance out there that getting by on less nutritious food is a typical part of being a university student.

A diet of baked beans and instant noodles is not good enough when health and academic results are at stake,” said by Dr. Danielle Gallegos, who surveyed more than 800 university students along with Kai Wen Ong in.

“Glutamate acts as flavour enhancer in most instant-noodles packages and also in ramen noodles, but it is present only in the soup base.

This additive is related with many health concerns like obesity, high tension, nausea and many other problems.

Because of this health risks, the soup base which is present in the package is not allowed to be used while preparing noodles.

However, without the soup base, the taste is not good but it prevents many health risks,” Dr Sharma said.

:yuk:

Shed Dog Tosser
1st May 2011, 22:25
St Vinnies in Stuart Park do a great spread, just bandage up an arm, leg or yer head to merge in with the cognescenti.

Or don one of the many regional or LCC airline pilot uniforms, by now they would probably have a meals on wheel van permanently parked outside the Mascot car park specifically to cater to that area of need.