PDA

View Full Version : Sudden fear of heights/claustophobia

Paperplanes89
25th Apr 2011, 21:24
Dear all,

I am a pilot wannabe and have wanted to be a pilot since about 6yrs old, I am currently 21. Between the ages of 13-16 I was in the air cadets and probably accumulated about 5 hours flying and I loved every second of it, loops, stall turns etc, and a sense of fear never crossed my mind. For my 21st I went for a flight in a piper warrior, again had a fantastic time. Recently I have been on a flying course totalling about 8hrs. Half way through the course, after again being completely happy and confident even during aerobatics, when we were flying between a thick cloud base below and a thick base above I suddenly felt scared, I started sweating and felt like I wanted to get out the aircraft. I held myself together and just got on with things though, although I was really not very comfortable. On the ground I spoke briefly to my instructor and he said it was not uncommon and it was because there was no feeling of forward motion, between the thick cloud and no real defined horizon it was as if we were hanging in the air.

After this flight, I had about 4 flights, each about an hour long. What I found was about about 3000ft I started getting this scared and very uncomfortable feeling again. I did contain it, but I wondered what I would be like without the instructor next to me. In the air, my mind raced and I started thinking about alternative career choices etc etc.

It wasn't really possible for me to tell/talk the instructor about my feelings.

I just want to know, if anyone has experienced similar problems and have they got over them, or any general advice on the topic. The feeling was generally being a little anxious, which would climax into a feeling that I was trapped and just wanted to get out for a few seconds before I collected myself again. I wouldn't say I was having a panick attack or anything and I was able to continue with reasonably complex manoeuvres for a rookie pilot. I just fear what I would be like solo! I would say I am a little claustophobic but nothing major at all. I have never been afraid of heights.

I haven't been put off flying, but these feelings really must go away! As I said below 3000ft -ish I am completely comfortable. It's really odd.

Apologies for the waffle, if anyone could offer some experiences or advice I would be very grateful.

AnthonyGA
26th Apr 2011, 10:19
Is the onset of the fear closely associated with certain visual images? For example, is it consistently associated with cloud layers?

It's possible that certain images remind you (unconsciously) of a bad experience in the distant past. Each time the visual imagery around you in the aircraft approaches the images you remember from this bad experience, you feel anxiety. It's not really a full-blown phobia, but just a bad association. The more specific the situations that upset you, the more likely I'd expect this scenario to be. For example, if being between cloud decks panics you but nothing else does, it sure sounds like it's reminding you of something.

I'm reminded of a case in which a woman had a very strong and irrational fear of bold vertical lines. She couldn't tolerate seeing such a pattern anywhere without feeling a bit of panic. One day, by chance, her uncle mentioned an incident that occurred when she was a toddler, in which she tried to put her head between the bars of a railing and got temporarily stuck, leading her to panic. When she heard this, all the memories of that traumatic experience suddenly came back, and after crying a bit over it, she discovered that her phobia about vertical lines (which presumably reminded her of the railing) had disappeared.

If this is the problem for you, you need to find some way of isolating the incident from the past that makes you nervous when you see certain images while flying. A psychologist might be able to help. The anxiety could also come from something other than the visuals, but given that visuals are such a large part of flying, I'd vote for the images first.

In any case, if you enjoy flying and wish to pursue it, seeing a psychologist to try to find the cause of your occasional panic attacks would seem to be a good investment.

Paperplanes89
29th Apr 2011, 16:37
AnthonyGA,

Thanks for your reply and your ideas. It is not associated with cloud, now it just seems to be height with aerobatics. I'm not really entirely sure what the fear is to be honest. I am not afraid of heights though and never have been. Just a real loss of confidence. I don't think is related to any events in my past, nothing I can think of at least. It is just so strange from loving the aerobatics and not thinking twice about being afraid to this...

I don't think its time to see a psychologist just yet. As I said I wasn't terrified just quite uneasy, now I am on the ground, and will be for a few months, my mind is just getting wound up a little about it all! Probably blowing it out of proportion.

:ok:

redsnail
29th Apr 2011, 18:35
Paperplanes, actually, IMHO now is the time to see a psychologist so the "fear" doesn't take root.

You're not mad, something, somewhere has triggered this response, a psychologist will figure out what it is, sort it and you'll be fine.

You'd see a physio for an injured limb, go and see a psychologist for an "injured mind" to get back to optimum health.

Lord Spandex Masher
29th Apr 2011, 19:35
Just ignore it and it'll go away.

Loose rivets
29th Apr 2011, 19:46
The first thing to get straight is that it's NOT an irrational fear. You probably are however, over analyzing the situation.

I was safety pilot in a pal's C310, and I flew into cloud. He suddenly shouted Down! Grabbed the controls and got himself into clear air. He went on to a CPL IR etc for private use and flew for the next 35 years.

You know inside that your life depends on a few gyros. Perhaps even just one. It's a nutty situation to be in. A mile above the ground with a tiny wheel keeping you from spinning out of the cloud. People who don't have a spell of questioning this state are perhaps lacking in other ways. However, when all is said and done, you'll have to master these feelings.

I had to give myself a good talking to after several nights of bad storms. No radar at 18k and getting thrashed night after night. After one really bad one, I almost gave up. That's when I had to make a decision that whenever things got crappy, I'd grab the bull by the horns and master it. No time for analysis, and not time for fear. There's a job to do and others will be relying on you...that kind of talking to.

I was a training FO for a year or so, and sat with a succession of new captains most first time on jet transport aircraft. Most were fine, but there were a few who really lost it for a few minutes here and there. They all but one went on to long careers.

Paperplanes89
29th Apr 2011, 20:21
Thank you all for your replies. Maybe I should see a psychologist. It's important to not over think or over analyse, I mean my last flight on the course we were below 2000ft and I was completely fine. How is it rational to be fine at 2000ft but not 4000ft? Madness. It's just frustrating because I can't just jump on a plane and face it. Good to know I'm not the only pilot (I say pilot I've got about 12hrs!) to experience these thoughts.

Do any of you know if going to a psychologist would go on any medical record which would damage an airline/military application?

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be laughing about this in a few years time :ok:

AvMed.IN
2nd May 2011, 09:47
when we were flying between a thick cloud base below and a thick base above I suddenly felt scared, I started sweating and felt like I wanted to get out the aircraft.
You probably had an episode of situational anxiety. At this point, saying that you are 'afraid to fly' may be incorrect. But if you face the situation similar to the one that generated the anxiety the first time round, and your response remains the same, then probably we are beginning to look at 'fear of flying'.
Consulting a psychologist is a good idea, but if I were you, I would rather approach someone who also has some understanding of aviation as well, lest your genuine reaction is termed as an 'irrational' fear of heights.
Dr David R Jones (COL, MC, USAF (ret) is an acclaimed authority on psychological (and psychopathological) aspects of aviation. One of his articles is about how a pilot evolves (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3954701) in his aviation career (unfortunately this link is to the abstract, and so also I must say that this article is written with single cockpit combat pilots in mind, but applies as well to all those learning to fly).
hope it helps :-)

Angel_1_five
11th May 2011, 13:31
Hi Paperplanes

I have had the same feeling while learning to fly and flying solo, i think going by my own experience the higher you go the less sense of movement there is ,which then gives you the feeling of standing on a tall building.

And of course you want to leave that situation but you can't which then causes anxiety and the claustophobia feeling.

At the time i was learning i was very stressed at work and suffering panic atks , i did manage to get my ppl but let it lapse after a few years mainly because of these feelings.

If i could go back in time i would have seeked help straight away because in the past 20 years i have missed some lovely flying experiences

So get some advice /help you rationalize your fears , but as i have learn't the only why is to face your fear to overcome it (with help !)

Good luck and keep going !

gingernut
13th May 2011, 19:27
I think even the most experienced pilot's experience the feelings you describe at one time or other.

As a very (inexperienced) pilot, I used to sometimes see the small wheel dangling pathetically somewhere over a big expanse, and think "Oh sh*t, what am I doing up here?"

It's not that unnatural if you logically think about it. 'spose it only causes problems if it affects your ability to land the thing, of fly into something.:confused:

Funnily enough if I was having a bimble, and feeling a little agrophobic, I'd take the low level route, because it was nearer the ground. Which, logically, is daft.

toolowtoofast
13th May 2011, 21:25
Easy - either become an ag pilot, or a helicopter pilot. Anything above 2000' gives them nosebleeds

Paperplanes89
16th May 2011, 19:54
Dear All,

Thank you for your replies. I think during the summer break (I'm at uni) I'll go to my local flying school, have a chat about it with an instructor then go flying in the conditions which I find problematic. If I get the same feeling I'll get some help. Worst thing is being on the ground not able to face it, and imagining situations in your head and trying to work out if you'll be scared or not! Crazy.

Any know if going to a pyschologist will go on any permanent med record? As I'm hoping to put in a military application, and I'm guessing that if they saw on my record that I went to get pyschological help for a fear induced by flying they wouldn't look massively favourably at my pilot application :}!!

Thanks once again,
Paperplanes89:ok:

charlies angel
17th May 2011, 13:15
Paperplanes.
Going up in an aeroplane is not a natural thing for our body to cope with!!

As an RAF FJ pilot we used to go on annual/regular Aviation Medicine courses to learn about ( but,more importantly how to cope with) all sorts of weird and wonderful effects on the body/balance/ears/eyes flying causes.
Most of your symptoms seem to be in the "break off phenomenon" or "pyramid illusion" area (google them) and lost depth perception due to having nothing to focus on.

It is extremely common on high level transits (+45000') to have to move your eyes " in and out " to close objects and far objects so as not to suffer from vertigo or " open field myopia " (google) as we seem to be sat on a pyramid not moving.
The brain can interpret this lack of movement/depth as alarming to say the least and will cause anxiety and fear to well up.

Honestly until you get used to it my advice would be to close your eyes for a few seconds and this will help to re-orientate your brain/eyes and ears.
Dont be too alarmed.Go fly with an instructor and use the time to notice the strange effects on your body that flying induces.
Once they are in your awareness you'll be just fine:ok:
ps Even Typhoon drivers get scared sometimes;)