PDA

View Full Version : Scenic flights, Sth Island NZ

Plow King
25th Apr 2011, 11:03
G'day all

Off to NZ to do the campervan holiday thing around the South Island in about 3 weeks, just looking for suggestions for a scenic flight while we are there. The Mt Cook skiplane flight immeadiately jumps to mind, but I thought there might be something I've missed, something not readily accessible on the interweb. It'll be me plus the wife, plus a two & four year old.
On a previous trip to the States (Colorado) we hired an a/c with an instructor through a flying club and it was an excellent way of having a look around (plus it was interesting to fly at some pretty serious density altitudes) - wondering if there are any similar options in NZ.
Any (constructive) advice would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you'd prefer.

PK

big buddah
25th Apr 2011, 11:15
Hi,
Ski Planes are fantastic and a once in a lifetime event but are very expensive for what you get. They are slowly disappearing and who knows what the future of them will be? but nothing beats shutting that engine down and standing on top of the Tasman Glacier!!!

The flights from Queenstown to Milford sound are far better value for money in what you see. Hugely weather dependent.
Many operators in Queenstown and it'll end up in an argument on who to recommend?
and also many Different options? Just a scenic flight or a cruise as well?

If you've the money? Do both, Mt Cook and Milford!

ZK-NSJ
25th Apr 2011, 11:29
air safaris i think its called in tekapo do scenic flights

Plow King
25th Apr 2011, 12:05
but nothing beats shutting that engine down and standing on top of the Tasman Glacier!!!
That was my thinking; I was pretty keen for the family to get that experience - I still remember doing it as a 7 year old in 1983. It is a bit pricey but I guess you pay a price premium for that sort of experience.

If you've the money? Do both, Mt Cook and Milford!
We'll, probably not, but the dollar is on our side. The cruise was definitely on the cards so it would be good to incorporate the two. We are free agents when it comes to our travel plans so anything is possible.

puff
25th Apr 2011, 12:47
The Mt Cook Ski Plane experience is fantastic - yes not cheap but again I guess you have to understand that their operation is hugely weather dependant and they can be grounded for days on end, all whilst still having to pay their staff.

I was hugely impressed with their operation, the pilot I had on the day just loved what he does and loved having another pilot upfront to show how it's all done. The PC6 is an amazing piece of kit - they had a C185 flight leaving when I left and they were more than happy when I requested to wait for the next PC6 trip.

Landing up the glacier with the VSI pegged on about 700 fpm and taking off down the hill with 700 fpm was amazing - seriously one of the best aviation experiences of my life. The pilot commented that a HUGE amount of the pax were infact airline pilots who just loved the experience.

If you want a self fly experience, try the Aeroclub in Queenstown where you can take the 172 to Milford Sound and fly it yourself, but it's again hugely weather dependant. Beautiful country - definately give the PC6 a ride - my other half doesn't even like lighties and she loved it.

Dodgy Boy
25th Apr 2011, 17:07
If you're going through the Nelson region hire an aircraft from either Nelson or Motueka and take a flight up the Abel Tasman National Park. If you can, land at Awaroa inlet and have a coffee at the lodge there.

waren9
25th Apr 2011, 19:14
+1 on Dodgy Boy. If it were me, I'd stay at the lodge and fly back out the next day.

Or you could go whale watching out of Kaikoura. Not sure when the season is.

Grogmonster
25th Apr 2011, 21:52
PK,

I would recommend Hank at Air Milford in Queenstown. He is a great bloke and his flights over to Milford, through the Alps, are spectacular. He operates Caravans and if you are really lucky one of the nicest C185's I have seen.

Groggy

aileron_69
26th Apr 2011, 01:11
I lived in Twizel and have been on Mt Cook Skiplanes several times. I have also flown to pretty much every corner of the South Island during the course of my work and hands down, Skiplanes is the best trip you will ever do. I would go up there every day if I could. Flying over the top just doesnt cut it. Yes its expensive, but its worth twice what it costs, and its something you cant do anywhere else in the country, and probably the Southern Hemisphere. Coming into a good time of year to go too, should have been a few little skiffs of new snow by now.

Plow King
26th Apr 2011, 03:51
Thankyou very much everyone for your advice. There are some very good options there - I think the biggest issue is narrowing it down! Skiplane is definitely on the agenda now, but I'm sure we'll be passing through most airports to see what is going on (yes, aviation tragic) so who knows where it'll lead. A hire and fly out of Nelson might be just the ticket when I'm looking for a bit of respite from the kids at the end of the trip.

If any Prooners see a family with a couple of little girls in a Kea van in the second half of May, come and say G'day.

PK

On Track
26th Apr 2011, 08:17
To answer your question about flying the way you did in Colorado, the answer is yes.

Go to the Wakatipu Aero Club in Queenstown.

You'll be able to enjoy the stunning scenery and get some mountain flying training at the same time.

Plow King
26th Apr 2011, 11:20
On Track, that was just what I was looking for. If the flying there is half as good as the photos on their web page it will be excellent. As soon as we have a rough timetable I'll give them a call. Looks like the holiday just got extended for a couple of days.

Dixons Cider
26th Apr 2011, 11:37
+1 to Hank at Air Milford if you decide to go down that way. He's a good bloke, period.
In fact I recommend you do, if you strike the weather right, trip of a lifetime.
Air wakitipu good option if you wanna try self fly, but someones gonna miss out in a 172.

Bon voyage!

RadioSaigon
26th Apr 2011, 14:23
...but someones gonna miss out in a 172...

The last time I had anything to do with them (a while ago now) they also had an IO-550 C-206 available. Nobody needs to miss out at all.

Alternatively, there are operators just over the hill in Wanaka with 206's also. Having been based in both places at times, my preference solely from an experience/scenery point-of-view would definitely be Wanaka. You'll see everything the QN flights see and quite a bit more for the same money.

PK -the pictures on the website miserably fail to do it justice.

Konev
27th Apr 2011, 13:44
Wakatipu Aero Club still has the 206. just make sure you book it in advance as its a bit of a company slut.

Biggles78
28th Apr 2011, 10:45
Haven't had a chance to check but landing at Milford Sound used to require a "Milford Rating" as it is a one way strip. No overshoot possible with the mountain behind it.

Konev
28th Apr 2011, 11:37
it is possible if you have the climb rate (islanders and the caravan do it every now and then) just not recommended.

Dodgy Boy
28th Apr 2011, 23:00
Pk, what day are you leaving home (and where is home)? Will send you a suggested itenary if you PM me. regards db.

M14_P
29th Apr 2011, 08:09
Don't listen to konev he doesnt know what he's talkin about. :)

The aeroclub will give you a great trip especially if you want to fly yourself - only a 50% chance of getting good weather though.

cheers

mooondog
26th May 2011, 22:22
Nelson is a great starting point
Try flynpt.co.nz

Tankengine
27th May 2011, 02:30
www.glideomarama.com/:ok: