PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Conversion from RAF to Civilian Pilot

N1CH0L4S
24th Apr 2011, 13:46
I'm currently a RAF Pilot; one who has been lucky enough to escape the severe cuts we've recently had and the NCO Aircrew are about to experience. I am about to commence Multi-Engine ME training, however the type of aircraft I will put down as my preference is still undecided due to what I explain in the paragraph below.

Although this may seem harsh in the wake of the recent cuts, my aim is to one day in the near future, on a timeline of between 6-9 years convert into the Civlian Charter or Private Airline sectors. I am looking to contact RAF Pilots/Civilian Pilots who have made/worked with a individual who has made this transition and find out what would be the earliest/best time to make this leap of faith.

I am looking for information reguarding if it's possible to transisition for example from a HERCULES/A400M in the future, to an A330/747 and if so conversion exams/ratings which would neeed to be attained. Hours required and return of service to the RAF that would need to be furfilled before exiting.

I must however state the above are all examples which are used to give an idea of potential situations.

time2leave
24th Apr 2011, 17:12
For what it is worth fly the type/role you want not what you plan in the future, otherwise all you are doing is giving up years of seniority

A and C
24th Apr 2011, 17:18
You are not the first person to ask these questions as a result of defence spending cuts, the best and cheapest place to get all the advice that you need is via your local RAF flying club.

The link below will find your nearest club.

RAF Flying Clubs' Association (RAFFCA) - Contacts (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafflyingclubs/contacts/)

As for the type to fly, if you are looking for security when leaving the RAF then the A330 is what you need to fly because you can do a quick conversion course (about 4 days training) to get a type rating on any of the Airbus aircraft. You will also get to work with the airtanker DFO who is one of the best guys in the business.

If I as looking to enjoy my military flying (before flying chavs to Corfu) I would look at C130/A400 it would be much more rewarding flying.

deltahotel
24th Apr 2011, 18:08
Ask for the type you really fancy flying - either airframe or role. Make sure you get yr licence before yr exit date. Don't spend what should be some great years of military aviation merely planning for your future career.

blagger
25th Apr 2011, 15:55
Troll alert!

The Old Fat One
25th Apr 2011, 16:14
Blagger, tick vg

The rest...spot the clues