PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Golf Course landing

Jenna Talia
24th Apr 2011, 11:24
I'm surprised this thread was not started earlier. From NINEMSN news:

A pilot has made an emergency landing on a golf course in western Sydney.

The pilot was forced to land the single engine light plane on a golf course at Liverpool about 2.30pm (AEST) on Sunday after its engine failed, police said.

No one was injured in the incident, including the 64-year-old male pilot.

Didn't quite get to Bankstown. Despite whatever the reason for the engine failure, the pilot sure did a good job with the landing.

MikeTangoEcho
24th Apr 2011, 11:43
FORE! :E

Did a good job, lucky there was a nice fairway to land on. Clipped a tree on the way in but didn't sustain too much damage. At least this time the media could correctly report it being a Cessna...

Wally Mk2
24th Apr 2011, 13:01
That's 3 incidents/accidents for the day. The ABC news started off 2nite with this one, a chopper prang with a woman hurt & an ultralight with a dead soul on board, ugly but so is the road toll !:sad:

Wmk2

Ultralights
24th Apr 2011, 13:13
this has been one of the worst days for a long time, R44 down near Batemans bay, fatality in Tasmania, A gyro fatality in northern Qld, but some good news from the golf course. can even use the aircraft again, good job.

Jenna Talia
24th Apr 2011, 23:24
I sometimes look down on fairways when overflying golf course locations and wonder if I would be totally successful in landing a disable aircraft into there. They are not all that straight and long.

This aircraft was a C150. What if it had of been a Bo or another high performance machine? As in this matter, the fairway maybe all you have got amongst bush and houses.

aileron_69
24th Apr 2011, 23:49
What if it had of been a Bo or another high performance machine

Leave the wheels up, it will stop faster. And as a wise old ag pilot once told me, sheep are speed brakes, use them, so are trees, but make sure the fuse goes between 2 trees or it defeats the purpose. Dont worry about wrecking the aircraft, thats what insurance is for!!

Wally Mk2
25th Apr 2011, 00:02
"A69" there's some good good advice there but would be hard to manage under pressure whilst yr skidding along the ground pretty much out of control unless you mean whilst still airborne & that would take some courage:ok:.

Some years ago Exec's (of EN) AC50 hit the fairways at the Northcote Golf Links (just short of EN) after the pilot turned it into a glider. He almost got away with it 'till the airframe hit an embankment & crushed the fwd part of the fuse & instantly 2 left this world for hopefully a better place. VH-ALH if I recall, ugly:-(

Wmk2

Stationair8
25th Apr 2011, 07:15
Wally, was that the one full of crayfish and being flown by an airline pilot?

ozequestrian
26th Apr 2011, 08:42
It was indeed. At the time of the accident it was no longer an Exec Airlines aircraft and was owned by the pilot's company Norfish, I think from memory it had only made a couple of trips to King Island before the accident. I may stand corrected but I think the cause of the accident was determined to be fuel exhaustion.

Deaf
27th Apr 2011, 11:40
I think the cause of the accident was determined to be fuel exhaustion.

IIRC that was one of the holes in the cheese, as for the rest starting before the name on the flight plan and !!!!

Don't think there was an public report on it.

davebowyer
29th Apr 2011, 01:59
As a 50-hour student pilot out of YSBK I have very recently undergone my emergency procedures training. Taking off to the west out of Bankstown and doing simulated upwind engine failures, it's always struck me that one's options are pretty damn limited. Ditto when landing from the west. Hats off to this guy for landing safely and walking away.

mcgrath50
29th Apr 2011, 06:06
Haven't been in or out of Bankstown for a bit, but from memory taking off to the east was more worrying for EFATO, all I remember being there is a few trotting tracks or car parks for factories.

Dookie on Drums
29th Apr 2011, 10:36
Take off to the east? If you can hang a left and join a final for 07 YSSY.:ok:

For a twin of course!

T28D
29th Apr 2011, 11:44
No motion lotion means options are limited no matter what one does.

Wally Mk2
29th Apr 2011, 15:45
"S8" as 'oze' said (sorry Oze I meant to say I worked for Excec's rather than the plane was theirs) he was indeed an airline driver with crays on board as well as a female companion. Fuel exhaustion was the cause. There was no fire & very little fuel was found in the fuel system. Strong Nth winds on the day I believe didn't help. The pilot over flew several dromes where a safe Ldg could have been effected prior to fuel exhaustion. Anyway that's that, he won't be the last pilot to do it. From high capacity jet liners to small home made flying contraptions planes have & will fall from the sky due human error.

Wmk2

glekichi
29th Apr 2011, 22:55
So, the single survived the golf course but the twin didn't, right Wally?:eek:

Wally Mk2
30th Apr 2011, 00:15
.........hahah very funny there 'glek' & a good lick up:) but the pilot decided to remove the safety feature of the twin eng'ed craft by way of performing 'Bob Hoover' type maneuvers without the option of restarting the donks.

"IF" I had to make a dead stick ldg I'd rather be in a SE lighty anyway:ok:

Wmk2