PDA

View Full Version : La Seu d'Urgell Airport (Andorra) routes to UK

mrsurrey
23rd Apr 2011, 13:37
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there are any scheduled flights between La Seu d'Urgell (Andorra) and the UK?

(it's a redeveloped airport about 30mins drive from Andorra instead of the usual 3hrs drive from Barcelona so looks very promising!)

Thanks

MrS

Daffydil
23rd Apr 2011, 15:22
Not aware of any services from the UK to this rather small facility but charters to Lleida from several UK airports start in December for the ski season

Facelookbovvered
23rd Apr 2011, 22:36
Over flew this about 2 weeks away and wondered what was called, from 38000 feet up it looked like an aircraft carrier with the ground dropping away sharply at each end, like Funchal without the sea not sure how long it is but would guess at 2300m ? Someone on here will know? Looks to have a lot of high ground around

bad bear
24th Apr 2011, 10:55
Seo is 1260 m long and perched half way up a mountain. I landed there once and would not like to go anywhere near it if there is significant wind blowing or mountain wave activity. There is potential for serious turbulence and down drafts. It was built to service the ski trade to avoid the long drive from Barcelona but the roads are better now and the tunnel opened 20 years ago. CB activity in the summer is interesting too

bb

mrsurrey
24th Apr 2011, 14:39
Thanks guys, very interesting.

The airport is about 30mins drive from Andorra's main town versus I think 2 1/2 hours drive to Lleida so I would have thought it would have people clambering to get involved (I read that Andorra gets 10 million visitors per year).

Maybe the unsettled weather conditions make it too unreliable and so uneconomical for tour operators / budget airlines?

Pirineus - La Seu d'Urgell Airport | Aeroports de Catalunya (http://www.laseuairport.com) - I looked on the "operators" tab but it doesn't seem to link to a page

http://www.laseuairport.com/airportfees.pdf - looks to be massively subsidised?

MrS

Cyrano
24th Apr 2011, 20:01
Maybe the unsettled weather conditions make it too unreliable and so uneconomical for tour operators / budget airlines?

MrS

Very interesting, Mr S - but I don't think it's only the weather that scares scheduled operators away. After all, it's a 1267m TODA, no ILS, no terminal, no ATC and no permanent fire cover. That's not really compatible with normal scheduled operations.

C.