PDA

View Full Version : Revised FAA Licences, - New Format

baron_beeza
21st Apr 2011, 23:02
While we were discussing the new Part 66 licences I mentioned that the FAA had updated theirs also.

A little over a year ago I had a rush to reapply for my FAA A&P and PPL in the new style. I was issued with the A&P but missed out on a new PPL.

I know others here are affected, I received a PM.

If you hold FAA licences you would need to re-apply and update them. I suspect the terms have relaxed in the past year...

The new Licences are plastic, holographic and credit card sized.

Details on the following sites.

Airmen Certification: Replace an Airmen Certificate (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement/)

"New" A&P's (http://forums.amtonline.com/showthread.php?2819-quot-New-quot-A-amp-P-s)

http://*************.com/topic/47469-new-a-p-license/

FRQ Charlie Bravo
22nd Apr 2011, 15:51
USD$2.00 but no cash thank you very much.

"Check or Money Order"

D'oh!!!

FRQ CB

baron_beeza
22nd Apr 2011, 22:14
I was working on the 2010 date also, but I now see the old licence cannot be used after March 2013.

I am assuming that means you can still apply for the updated format licence.
I had a PM from a member here wondering if he had missed out completely....I had initially informed him that the cut-off date was over a year ago.

baron_beeza
23rd Apr 2011, 00:24
Thanks for the reply, I think some guys here will find it interesting as I am sure this has been overlooked by many down here.

I think several here will have a FAA licence in the 'back pocket' and while it may have been well publicised in the States I am sure there are still some here who have yet to action it.

I operate licences from many countries and am often away from my mailing addresses, it was only by chance that I managed to get my application sorted out.
Yes, the $2 payment is an issue... I am not sure how I got around that. It may well have been a $5 note popped in the envelope.

baron_beeza
23rd Apr 2011, 04:15
Thanks for all the advice, I must have paid by credit card for the A&P.

I did mention,
several here will have a FAA licence in the 'back pocket'

The FAA certificates are easy to obtain and many guys will just have them. Some here would have held them for 20 or 30 years or more.
I guess it is similar to the way you accumulate Kiribati, Fijian, Kenyan etc licences, having said that it is nice to keep some of them current.

Until recently the FAA certificates just required a correct mailing address.... Many people travelling about the world would just use their parents' address.
You don't need junk mail, bank statements, and indeed most other mail forwarded on to Arusha, Maun, Betio, Balikpapan or wherever else you happen to be working that month. (Truth is little would get there anyway).

Mostly the FAA certificates are rarely used and not a high priority in the scheme of things....
Many here may have picked them up while doing rating courses or whatever in the States.

This is a Forum for Australasians (Downunder, Godzone and the Pacific) and I just mentioned it here because many are possibly unaware still, we have our own concerns with Trans Tasman Mutual Agreements and the new Part 66 Australian licence issue.

The likelihood of anyone actually utilising an obsolete paper FAA certificate would be pretty slim. The rule books and websites would be well consulted before the holder intended utilising it.

I am pretty sure there will be a few $2 bank checks heading towards the FAA coffers in the coming weeks. Most here would have the FAA Certificates issued on the basis of a NZ or Australian licence I suspect.

The admin costs involved will make it a $30 exercise for many... but still well worth doing.
Thanks again for the input, it certainly helped me a lot.

Lasiorhinus
24th Apr 2011, 03:09
How long have they been issuing these new format cards for? My FAA certificate is about 7 or 8 years old, but is the size of a credit card, with a hologram logo, and Orville and Wilbur's photos on the back.
Im guessing I don't need to update mine.

baron_beeza
24th Apr 2011, 06:08
I think you will be ok, - that sounds exactly like what I received in the mail last year.

Mine was over 20 years old and was just a bit of cardboard, - I had it plastic laminated to make it look presentable.

I didn't realise the new cards had been around for so long..... obviously many holders will be in your situation and needn't worry about it.