PDA

View Full Version : What makes aircraft fly?

EDDNR
26th Mar 2001, 22:24
In answer to the question "What makes aircraft fly?", I have done some research and have reached a surprising conclusion.

It appears that when human beings are put under stress (such as happens when given graphic descriptions by Stewardesses of what goes on when the plane crashes, how to find the exits which are "over there somewhere" <waving arms vaguely about>, and how a giant dustbin liner is expected to service as a safety slide in the event of a ditching), the body actually emits an Air of Nervousness. This Air of Nervousness, being less dense than air, naturally floats to the top of the aircraft cabin and accumulates during the taxiing process along the runway.

When the plane reaches the end of the runway, it turns around and begins to accelerate towards the terminal building. The concrete runway surface is designed to give unnerving bumps every few yards, shaking the passengers in order to increase the stress. At the same time, machines inside the cabin begin to produced high-pitched whines and whistles to enhance the effect.

As the plane accelerates, the denser air and less dense Air of Nervousness separate, the air being pushed towards the back of the cabin, and the Air of Nervousness floating towards the front. At a certain point, the dynamics of the aircraft are upset sufficiently to raise the front of the aircraft wholly off the ground, and the rest of the plane follows - up into the sky and away.

Obviously, this process can only be sustained while the passengers are kept in a constant state of annoyance, fear, or sleeplessness. Modern airlines have developed a series of Cunning Ploys to keep the paying customers in a more or less steady state of irritation, through tricks as diverse as the Grand Turbulence Gambit, Constant Feeding to Prevent Sleep, and of course the Nightmare Kylie Radio Loop.

Hope you got back in one piece, and remember next time you fly, the safety of the whole
flight hinges solely on your anxiety!

I think you are underestimating the role of the engines. A typical jet engine develops about 50,000lbs of thrust, fueled by converting your fare in L or $ into liquid assets that can be burned. The subsequent sudden "lightening effect" on your wallet provides much of the lift.

This is why airlines are so keen on first class and business travellers as they provide a much higher lift per passenger than economy travellers.

This is probably the reason single class cheapo airlines struggle to get off the ground. A closely guarded airline secret is that air crashes are often associated with major currency fluctuations. The effect of a tuppeny devaluation of the $ against the £ on the total lift of a 747 can be catastrophic.

It is well known that countries with unstable currencies (eg Russia or India) have the worst safety records. You may have noticed that there are frequently long delays between boarding the aircraft and it taking off. This is because the pilot is studying the financial markets and buying forward before taking off, and why pilot error is often the stated cause of crashes. ie they tried to buck the market and got it wrong.

Rod

rolling circle
27th Mar 2001, 04:53
Only one thing makes aircraft fly - Money, and lots of it! Except in the case of helicopters when it's all down to blind faith - if we stopped believing in helicopters, they'd all fall out of the sky.

pohlcatt
27th Mar 2001, 13:40
IN CASE U WANT A SERIOIUS ANSWER: An aircrafts wings are designed so that the air travelling over the wings travels faster than under the wing. This creates a low pressure or suction on top of the wind and a high pressure or compresion underneath. This is the very brief explanation of the concept of an aerofoil and can be explained in much more detail than this. Hope this helps

Speedbird252
28th Mar 2001, 00:42
Nice piece EDDNR. In brief, what exactly are you asking?

CaptainSquelch
28th Mar 2001, 01:48
Let me tell you a secret EDDNR,

I make the aircraft fly.

It works without pax, with cargo only and even without stews. But lets keep this a secret; your complex story is much more interesting.

Sq

stagger
28th Mar 2001, 02:54
pohlcatt - this is not the time nor the place for a serious answer!!!

;)

EGCC4284
28th Mar 2001, 03:13
Let me tell you a secret CaptainSquelch,

I make the aircraft fly because I put the fuel on them.

Once in autopilot(FMC), it doesn't need a pilot but it does need fuel

------------------
A BIT EXTRA FOR MUM.

[This message has been edited by EGCC4284 (edited 27 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by EGCC4284 (edited 27 March 2001).]

CaptainSquelch
28th Mar 2001, 21:01
Fuel? It needs fire. But who lights the fire?

quid
28th Mar 2001, 21:39
.....and all this time I thought it was the air pockets....

Luftwaffle
29th Mar 2001, 00:41
I thought it was the worldwide belief that airplanes can fly that kept them aloft.

That's why, at the dawn of aviation, when most of the world believed that there could never be heavier than air flight, it took people with extrordinary vision and depth of belief to coax early airplanes a few feet off the ground for a minute or so at a time.

As other people observed these feats, and came to believe, it became easier for other people, less passionate in belief, to successfully build airplanes. As the belief in powered heavier than air flight spread through humanity, it became possible to build larger airplanes.

Nowadays most people in the world take airplanes for granted, enabling the likes of the B777 and the A380. However, there still remain areas of the world where political unrest, sparse settlement, or economic misfortune limit education. Flight in those regions is not supported by a believing population, and thus accidents are more numerous.

aerostude
29th Mar 2001, 14:51
Pilots make them fly (I think)

Nice to see Pohlcatt is far to serious to see that the original thread was far more elegant that his "intelligent" theory on aerofoils. Never heard of an aerofoil producing "compresion" before.

Anyway, nice one EDDNR (Edna???)

'stude

BTB
30th Mar 2001, 02:17
In the case of Jets, it`s maths and physics. Physics work the motors. 1/2RoeV2S is the maths. You can`t do anything about the squared or the half; the roe is a red herring; as long as no S falls off, all you`ve left is the V. Keep plenty of V and you are OK. The Physics and height provides the V.
In the case of props and egg-whisks, then the V is provided by mechanics. Physics can never go wrong; mechanical things always do. Never fly things with visible moving parts. Any questions?

EDDNR
30th Mar 2001, 02:30
Glad you liked it. Actually found it in my old Avsig archives from WinCIM v2.0 !!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">nice one EDDNR (Edna???)</font>

Nah, it's a "Nigel" thing!

Rod

3 putt
30th Mar 2001, 02:56
Newtons third law.

Bigmouth
30th Mar 2001, 12:27
pfm

CaptainBasura
30th Mar 2001, 13:00
How do cherubs and angels fly? Or do we just wait to find out!! :)

Luftwaffle
30th Mar 2001, 22:31
I explained the Air of Nervousness to a non-pilot, but he had a question about the explanation. "Why then," he asked, "does an airplane lose altitude when the pilot comes on the PA and explains that the aircraft has run out of fuel, or that three out of four engines have been shut down, and the fourth is on fire?"

I hypothesised that under such circumstances the passengers actually STOP exuding an air of nervousness, in favour of a much weightier air of panic. This not only explains the observation, but points to the vital and often undervalued role of the flight attendants in aircraft safety, through keeping passengers nervous but not panicky.

GRpr
30th Mar 2001, 23:26
EDDNR - how can I thank you enough!

You have researched and come up with the answer to something that has been bothering me for some time.

When I came back, a couple of years ago, with a shiny new PPL from foreign parts, I was checked out by a rather nervous instructor. On downwind, after my checks, he used these precise words: "Don't be so relaxed"!!

I didn't like to ask why not, and it had been bothering me ever since. NOW I KNOW! Gosh, if we had both been relaxed, who knows what might have happened. I heard he gave up instructing soon afterwards - maybe he became too relaxed and the risks just became too much.

Now that I KNOW, I will always make sure I have at least one nervous passenger on board (I only fly small planes so only need a little lift).

Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

genius-747
30th Mar 2001, 23:30
the wings - the engine - the pilot - the air

nothing else.