PDA

View Full Version : Flight Numbers

Silkman
26th Mar 2001, 03:13
I noticed today that JMC have joined the BY and AMM trend of putting letters at the end of the flight numbers e.g. JMC123K/L. I understand that K is outbound and L inbound, but why change and what is the relevance.

HugMonster
26th Mar 2001, 14:46
If you use 4 digits, you have 10000 possibilities. Make that 3 digits and a letter and the possibilities are 26000. Therefore less possibility of callsign confusion with other aircraft.

Using more than one letter can be a mouthful, though, so becomes counter-productive. Bear in mind that only 2 numbers (seven and zero - or 3 if you count nin-er) have more than one syllable. Only two letters in the phonetic alphabet (Golf and Mike) have only one syllable. All others have two or more.

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 26 March 2001).]

Desk Driver
26th Mar 2001, 16:56
However the likes of GeeBee who use 1 digit and 2 letters with their codes everyday?

[This message has been edited by Desk Driver (edited 26 March 2001).]

expedite_climb
26th Mar 2001, 19:25
It's becoming difficult to find enough numbers, that can't be confused with others, and with headings or levels..... simple answer really.

expedite_climb
26th Mar 2001, 19:38
Oh and it's relevance ...

BY => A and B
AMM => C and D

I think the other letters must already be in use. BA use some don't they ?

AffirmBrest
29th Mar 2001, 14:44
Always seem to trip over a few culprits myself:

KD (Kilo-Delta)
EH (Echo-Hotel)
6XF (SixXrayFoxtrot) - too many Xs
1WR (WunWhiskeyWomeo?)

Or is just me?

I think 3 numbers and a letter is usually a bit easier to remember than 4 numbers - chunking and all that.

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Gonzo
30th Mar 2001, 17:07
Certainly 3 numbers and a letter seem easier than 4 numbers, and some combinations of 1 or 2 numbers and then 2 letters. I always have problems with the Midland xLN. Arrrrrrg!

Gonzo