PDA

View Full Version : 411A has flown west.........From the main forum

jumbo1
20th Apr 2011, 12:11
411A has flown west.........
to those who have communicated, praised, disagreed and even dueled with 411A:
Captain Bob Welliver had his last Margaretta at the ex patriot gentleman's club in LaCeba, Honduras, in the company of a long time friend and flight engineer (ron butts) on 1 April, 2011. He died of a massive coronary heart attack talking about the L-1011 with drink in one hand, cuban cigar in the other.

Bob was the chief pilot of nasser's L1011-500 operation, privilege jet airlines. the fleet is honduran registered but jordanian owned. the stress of a charter gone wrong due in a distant land that nasser set up did not help.

he was cremated in honduras and his remains were flown home to phoenix. plans for a memorial service are in the works. his "flight gone west" was supersonic and I am sure the landing was perfect.

some people live safe, eat properly and leave a good looking body is the way to go. In my observation of Bob, smoking hand rolled only, drinking top shelf, long hours, strange places that most people would never think of going, "masterful interpretation of flight rules, systems, MEL's and flight planning" to get a plane home, allowed Bob to gracefully ignore (no, thumb his nose) at the good looking body theory of funerary tradition.....It was more like Cohiba in one hand, magnum of South African wine in the other, body worn out to the "last 25 landing tire thread limit", sliding, hooting, screaming and howling with laughter all the way to the grave saying...."man, that was one HELL of a ride!"

Rest in peace......doubtful. heaven, purgatory or hell just got a tad more interesting. have fun and puff one illegal cuban for me.

Jazbag
20th Apr 2011, 12:33
Capt Bob

RIP to you sir!
Keep the flag flying wherever you are...

You did your bit hope we can do the same.

JB

Che Guevara
20th Apr 2011, 13:11
RIP Capt. Bob.

The aviation business needs characters like you, particularly nowadays. I will miss your posts, your directness and your opinions, strong as they might have been sometimes, they were often correct.

Safe on.

NG_Kaptain
20th Apr 2011, 14:10
As an ex Tristar pilot and a follower (but not an agreer) of 411A's post I will miss the gentleman.
RIP Bob.

The Rage
20th Apr 2011, 15:27
RIP Bob! I've never agreed with everything he said, but at times he did make sense, told it how he saw it. Whether we liked it or not!

He will be missed. Take care old chap!

moggiee
21st Apr 2011, 12:47
sittingidly - you've hit the nail on the head.

It's one thing to say what you think because you believe it but it's another thing altogether to do what 411a did which was stir ****e for the sake of getting a reaction. It's a pity that he couldn't have used his knowledge and experience for the good of the community.

Still, he went out in style and my condolences go to friends and family.

I-2021
21st Apr 2011, 13:56
RIP Capt Bob.

CAT3A
21st Apr 2011, 16:58
RIP 411A,

my condolences to friends and family

dusty777
22nd Apr 2011, 20:51
One cannot but smile in Warm regard with the thought of one of passing in the style he did. Cigar and drink in hand. A Jet jock to the end.

Now some may disagree with the idea, but I would have to think a Drink, a Cuban and a lively conversation (likely about aviation) would be terrific way to go. Especially if he got the last word in!
Compare that the usual cockpit banter of being chased down the road by a jealous husband. That is just so,,so Dubai Silicone Oasis....

Wishing you Strong Tailwinds Captain 411A

Landflap
23rd Apr 2011, 09:46
I know it's an old chestnut & I am about to ask the same question on the Medical pages, but, why on earth are we going through tough medicals at regular intervals if a "massive heart attack" cannot be predicted ??

RIP 411A.

L1011
25th Apr 2011, 08:15
Flew with Bob many years ago on the L1011.

He was a CRM nightmare now that I think about it, but then many of the skippers were back then.

Sure knew how to wind people up though, he was an expert at that and the Tristar.

A dinosaur really, not that bad to fly with - RIP mate.

fractional
25th Apr 2011, 20:28
I had my differences with 411A. RIP 411A. So long!

Desert Diner
27th Apr 2011, 10:46
He was an ooooold Middle East hand from waaaaay back (When Dubai was nothing more than a bounch of mud huts). It was always a pleasure reading his windup posts in this forum, especially if you knew the perspective he was writing from.

He will be missed.

RIP Captain Welliver

Hajj Man
28th Apr 2011, 19:13
R.I.P Captain Bob Welliver

Gone West, God Speed to you.

HM:ok: