PDA

View Full Version : Islander windscreen

ACW599
20th Apr 2011, 10:41
I happened to walk past an AAC Islander the other day and noticed something sitting on the front external LH windscreen. This pic from Airliners.net (John Farrington's copyright freely acknowledged) shows it very well.

Assuming it isn't a sneaky-beaky thought-controlled laser cannon HUD rangefinder or some other highly classified widget, can anyone advise its purpose? Might it be a de-icing panel?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gw4frx/847-3.jpg

forget
20th Apr 2011, 10:44
It's a de-icing panel.

rogerk
20th Apr 2011, 10:53
..... ipad ??
:O:O

shetlander
20th Apr 2011, 11:07
Top Secret.... But its a de-icing panel.

juliet
20th Apr 2011, 11:08
You picked it mate, its the super secret de-icing panel. Replaced on the Defender with de-icing fluid.

ricardian
20th Apr 2011, 11:16
It's a de-icing gadget, fitted to Loganair's Islanders which provide regular schedules between Kirkwall, Stronsay, Westray, Papa Westray, North Ronaldsay and Eday.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

NutLoose
20th Apr 2011, 11:31
Fitted to lots of stuff, Senecas etc.... as said it is an electric de-ice panel, the glass portion has a heater filament in it.

ACW599
20th Apr 2011, 11:53
And there I was hoping it was the secret HUD controller for the chemtrail dispenser array. Oh well ;)

Many thanks to all those who replied.

NutLoose
20th Apr 2011, 12:02
And don't forget the two large tubes mounted vertically either side, they are for enema drips for the crew, fwd air pressure forces the fluid through. :p

ACW599
20th Apr 2011, 12:56
>And don't forget the two large tubes mounted vertically either side, they are for enema drips for the crew, fwd air pressure forces the fluid through.<

You mean they're not the chemtrail dispensers...?

forget
20th Apr 2011, 13:05
Also, in the spirit of exactitude, it is only a de-icer if you switch in on after the ice has formed. If you switch it on before then it is an anti-icer. :hmm:

Stuff
20th Apr 2011, 13:38
I wonder why they felt the need to paint a smiley face on the aircraft? Is this intended to cheer up the crew and prevent any lowering of morale in the AAC?

What Limits
20th Apr 2011, 14:25
The smiley face was to p1ss off the crab fighter jock wannabes - "look at us sergeant pilots flying a plank!"

Buster Hyman
20th Apr 2011, 14:38
Yes, yes...de-icing, but I think a Flux Capacitor would slot into that....:suspect:

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2011, 15:01
I notice the co-pilot has, as usual, crashed out on the glareshield.

Of course, they'll fob us off with a story that he's just left his helmet there ready for a quick getaway. :rolleyes:

DX Wombat
20th Apr 2011, 15:18
Isn't that part of his left shoulder/upper arm visible Sheepy?

airborne_artist
20th Apr 2011, 15:26
look at us sergeant pilots flying a plank and logging twin engine time :E

What Limits
20th Apr 2011, 15:42
and IFR.....hahahahah

NutLoose
21st Apr 2011, 18:34
Ah the mighty Islander.... take the windows out and replace them with Chicken wire, chuck a bit of sawdust about and one would have a descent, if a bit tight Rabbit hutch. :p

forget
21st Apr 2011, 19:01
Perhaps your limited aviation experience has never seen them operate as intended. Short strip - and bugger all else. Nothing else would do. :ok:

And it's decent, not descent.

moggiee
21st Apr 2011, 19:26
Ah the mighty Islander.... take the windows out and replace them with Chicken wire, chuck a bit of sawdust about and one would have a descent, if a bit tight Rabbit hutch. :p
Would that be an emergency descent? Bit breezy with the windows removed!

trex450
21st Apr 2011, 19:42
co-pilot in an Islander??

davaar lad
21st Apr 2011, 21:44
Can I just say how effective the heater was..so the screen is all iced up, you can't see much, so you turn on the screen de icer and it melts the ice. It then becomes a swirling mass of slushy bubbles.
Hmm designed by British Industry.:ugh:

Exascot
23rd Apr 2011, 07:57
Slightly off thread but on a public passenger carrying Islander is a u/s flap indicator and/or one u/s fuel gauge permissible? For the record it was Africa. I should know, I have many hours on them, but time has affected the memory.

aw ditor
23rd Apr 2011, 08:13
Look up' the MMEL!

Saint Jack
23rd Apr 2011, 08:27
No, look it up in the MEL assigned to the particular aircraft (by registration and/or serial number).

Exascot
23rd Apr 2011, 10:17
Thank you for the advise but I don't have access to a MEL for any country. Situation UK or USA would be a guidance?

ricardian
23rd Apr 2011, 10:27
Very true. I'm 6ft 3ins tall and struggle a bit to fold my frame into the mighty Islander but it's still my preferred form of transport between Stronsay & Kirkwall; a 10 minute flight versus a 2 hour boat trip!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Fareastdriver
23rd Apr 2011, 13:21
I heard a story when I was in Belize yonks ago that the reason why our Pumas were hoovering through tyres was because some enterprising chap was flogging them to Mayan airlines; an Islander operator.
One day a CAA inspector picked them up for using the wrong ply tyres on their machines; plus prop reduction gearboxes held together by Araldite, etc etc.

Saint Jack
24th Apr 2011, 02:02
Exascot: A sample MMEL for both the Islander and Turbine Islander can be found on the UKCAA website under "List of Master Minimum Euipment Lists". Guidance for adapting a MMEL to an aircraft-specific MEL can be found in CAP549, also on the UKCAA website.

Not knowing the difference between an MMEL and a MEL is surprisingly common in the industry, as is the confusion between 'flight time' and 'time in service', but that's for another thread.

trex450
24th Apr 2011, 11:59
having one fuel guage u/s is OK as long as fuel tank is dipped and 10% extra is carried. A u/s flap indicator was OK until the end of the day. At least this used to be the way on the one I flew a bit.

Exascot
25th Apr 2011, 09:35
Many thanks Trex. My guess is that both gauge and indicator will remain u/s for some time.

Utrinque Apparatus
25th Apr 2011, 09:59
I think it might be another example of Teeny Weenie Airways pilots needing bifocals ? :E

stevef
25th Apr 2011, 10:08
Our BN2 operation: both items - MEL Cat 'B' (must be rectified within three days, not including the day of discovery).

Africa has very long days, of course... ;)