PDA

View Full Version : What's a Seppo to do?

microclimates
20th Apr 2011, 00:54
I am a gainfully employed pilot in the U.S. who's Aussie wife decided that the family is moving back to Sydney. So I got my CASA ATPL issued on the basis of my FAA ATP...

Question: do I still need to take all the theory exams for ATPl to apply to Australian RPT outfits... Wouldn't want to miss out on the impending massive pilot shortage!!! :-)

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for the info

The Green Goblin
20th Apr 2011, 01:19
For a regional airline who requires the experience you have, they will overlook the fact it is a converted licence to get out of paying for a type rating for a local candidate.

The Airlines will require the Australian ATPL theory passed as the FAA exams are considered inferior, due to the fact you learn the answers and not the subject. This came into affect many years ago when Aussies travelled to the US, did their FAA ATP theory in a couple of days, had the FAA licence converted to a CASA ATPL and bypassed the complexities of our exams.

Depends on where you want to be really!

Impending shortage? Dreaming :ugh:

waren9
20th Apr 2011, 01:49
I dont dispute what GG has said, but thats not my experience.

I am flying in Australia on an ATPL converted from o'seas. My employer did not ask for any evidence of study of the Australian theory, nor are they aware on what basis I achieved the local ATPL.

Bit of a double standard, AFAIK there is no ATPL flight test in Australia.

As GG has said, there will be no pilot shortage here, the airlines here are starting to manufacture their own artificial supply of pilots with sham cadet schemes. Check out other threads here in D&G for more.

tail wheel
20th Apr 2011, 02:20
Qantas and Virgin don't hire pilots with a CASA ATPL issued against an overseas ATPL. The regional airlines don't seem to care.

apache
20th Apr 2011, 03:07
Qantas and Virgin don't hire pilots with a CASA ATPL issued against an overseas ATPL. The regional airlines don't seem to care.

beg to differ, but I know of a few pilots employed by both QF and DJ with converted licences, as well as TT and JQ!

personally, I would apply to them anyway and see what happens. I am sure that you will be fine.

Chimbu chuckles
20th Apr 2011, 03:48
I know of two pilots who had Oz ATPL issued on the basis of PNG SCPL/ATPL issued on basis of US ATP and one was told by VB to go and get Oz subjects...when he subsequently failed one subject his Oz ATPL was rescinded. When he had passed them all VB had 'lost interest'. The other withdrew his application with VB as a result.

Whether the same applies to an Oz ATPL based on a US ATP that has actually been used within the US I don't know. Certainly though the Oz 'majors' don't like people who have clearly used the system to take the lazy/easy way out and avoid the Oz exams.

hongkongfooey
20th Apr 2011, 04:01
Big difference between a guy with a bare ATPL and a handful of hours and one that has been flying around for X years in X aircraft I would think too.

But as everyone else has mentioned the job market aint great.

What sort of experience do you have on what A/C ?

tuck
20th Apr 2011, 04:56
In a previous existence, my position allowed me to approve a candidate for an Australian ATPL based on an FAA ATP. Some of those candidates work for VB now.

NCD
20th Apr 2011, 04:58
My understanding is that if you have already obtained an Australian ATPL on the basis of converting an overseas licence (CPL & ATPL Air Law and ATPL Human Factors) you will not able to sit the other individual ATPL subject exams.

IE: you wont be able to get all the ATPL subjects.

Capt Toss Parker
20th Apr 2011, 06:57
Just goes to show what a bunch of "Tossers" Qantas and Virgin are that they think they are above the regulators when it comes to their policy on ATPL subjects.

aussie027
20th Apr 2011, 07:41
deleted post

Howard Hughes
20th Apr 2011, 08:58
If you have a validated ATPL and have considerable experience on a type that is in demand in Australia, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Brindabella
20th Apr 2011, 10:57
I was hired by both Virgin and a QF subsidiary company with my converted US ATP without the rediculous ATPL exams....

The Oz industry is very slowly moving away from its introspective myopic ideas of unfounded superiority...very slowly, but your converted ATP will be fine.

Just think long and hard about moving from the biggest aviation market to one of the smallest... its a hard road in every respect!

B.

QFF
20th Apr 2011, 11:18
More to the point - what's a Seppo?

Nose wheel first
20th Apr 2011, 11:53
A Seppo...

Seppo = Septic Tank
Septic Tank = Yank
Yank = American Gentleman ;) (in this case)

Wallsofchina
20th Apr 2011, 20:55
and this one's a Seppo with Australian vernacular on a few threads.

microclimates
20th Apr 2011, 23:53
I had no plans of working in Australia until the wife decided that she wanted to move back to Sydney to be close to her family... I've been doing RPT stuff for about 7 years now... the first 2 on a tiny little Caravan in Hawaii, which was a ton of fun but low paying: scheduled IFR operations to tiny little towns out of Honolulu and Maui, government subsidized (in the US they call these contracts Essential Air Service)...

The last 5.5 I've been flying for SkyWest (USA), in the right seat of CRJ's, and then in the left seat of the mighty Brasilia turboprop, which is about the size of the Slobs that REx flies...

Each one of us brings a slightly different bag of tricks to the mix. I know I'm probably not the most knowledgeable person in the industry, but I take the job seriously enough that I do try to know what I need to. I am happy to hit the books and take those tests, if I need to. I'm just trying to see if I do in fact need to.

thanks for the info all of yous

Dangnammit
21st Apr 2011, 00:43
You say you're happy to hit the books and take those tests??
You'll see!

Ahh the joys and happiness the B727 will bring you.....

The Green Goblin
21st Apr 2011, 00:54
Well there were 19 120's in Australia, 18 with the loss of ANB last year.

Airnorth in Darwin operate 5
Network in Perth operate 7
Skippers operate 6

Airnorth operate via seniority, so it would be a 12 month wait as an FO on 53k before you got a command on about 78k. They always seem to be happy to take on endorsed guys, as there are not many guys hanging around with a type rating that are looking for Braz work.

Network operate via loose seniority, they are hiring now for FOs

Skippers, well there is a nice thread on them if you do a search.

Bottom line, in Australia you need to be prepared to move. Sydney will be pretty hard to get a start unless you want to fly pistons.

Ejector
21st Apr 2011, 01:27
Who is Seppo?

Maybe I go on here and ask, What does Tom Do? What does Harry do?

Capt Claret
21st Apr 2011, 05:26
Based on the conflicting reports of operators who will/won't accept an Aussie ATPL converted from O.S., I wonder if it's fair to assume that a bonafide Seppo (in this case) would be accepted given the circumstances of moving from one country to another. Whereas one who flies out, gains what is perceived to be an easier ATPL and then returns may be seen as trying to avoid some hard work. :8

Ejector
21st Apr 2011, 13:42
If the likes of DJ say you need Aust ATPL subjects, I reckon you could sue their pants off for Racism if they were selective..

Wallsofchina
21st Apr 2011, 21:48
"Danger Banglington" Ejector? (your earlier question)

dievlieger
24th Apr 2011, 12:23
With your experience you should be looking seriously at these two operators. I don't know if REX are still looking at direct entry guys, but QLink are most definitely looking for guys with turboprop command experience. I know from personal experience that a converted licence is no problem for QLink (although mine wasn't FAA). They are actively recruiting at the moment. Good luck :ok:

Kenny
25th Apr 2011, 00:31
Microclimates,

We've talked before on one of the US boards but with your experience VB would look at you, even with a CASA ATPL issued on the back of your FAA cert.

I got my ATPL 7 years ago, based on my FAA ATP and it didn't even come up in my interview with VB, 18 months ago. The only difference between you and I, is that I had 2000 Jet PIC.

PM me any time.

diddly squat
23rd Sep 2012, 08:08
Rex is looking for Seppo's now. Interviewing this week.