PDA

View Full Version : 101 Sqn-Help with History

101history
19th Apr 2011, 20:06
Help required, please.

I am endeavouring to record the history of 101 Sqn digitally, ones and zeros, Yin and Yang, that sort of binary thing, from the store of material that we hold on the Sqn. A lot of what we have is in a fragile state, and so the hope is, by use of a word processor and a scanner, we can preserve what we have.

101 Squadron is due to stand down in just over 2 years, having started service in 1917, and I have access to a wealth (AKA; shed loads) of material that the Sqn has accumulated since then.

My initial start point for archiving was the OCU/TF photographs from the start of the VC10. Yes, I know it was 10 Sqn to start with, but we are what we are, and that needs to be documented in a way that will be accessible in years to come. (It’s a great looking databaseJ)

I am short of names, dates, and photographs from courses 1 to 10 (1966-1970), so would be grateful if any of the more mature PPruners have access, or information leading to, the successful acquisition of the missing years.

If you have any unique phots/documents/vids of 101 Sqn that you would like recorded, send them in! vc10squadron at gmail dot com , is the place to contact me.

We have a valuable collection of 101 Squadron history that the museums can’t cope with, or display, but can be preserved, in whatever format, so that for future generations;

‘To the end, to the end, they remain'

Finningley Boy
19th Apr 2011, 20:21
One place you could look is the National Archives, AIR 27 is the record volume reference you'd need to look through. If you can't get across to Kew anytime soon, I could have look at getting some info on squadron details during the required period if you like.:ok:

FB:)

NutLoose
19th Apr 2011, 20:26
By all means transfer it to Digital, BUT DO NOT DESTROY THE ORIGINALS AFTERWARDS, Hendon used to commit that sin I believe........... And do not think a Squadron ends at the Aircrew, without the Squadron Engineers you would be simply nothing..... I would also ask in the flypast forums, you would be amazed at what they can produce.

101history
19th Apr 2011, 20:38
Nutloose,

1. I have been on both sides of the fence.

2. Nothing will be destroyed.

I aim to have 2 digital copies, on different media, in different locations. All originals will be moved into a more salubrious repository. Somewhere.

Thanks for the pointers gents. All info greatfully received:ok:

NutLoose
19th Apr 2011, 20:48
Cool, hope I didn't come across as anal, but seen it happen in the past.... BTW ex LSS myself (when we had an decent sized Airforce.)

Wrathmonk
19th Apr 2011, 20:50
Surely Pilot 1 on Course 1 would have been BEagle :E

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Apr 2011, 20:52
Kew really is worth a visit; you can register online & prebook documents. I recently researched a 101 Sqn WOp/AG shotdown on his third mission in 1943, the brother of a family friend. Got lots of excellent stuff.

NutLoose
19th Apr 2011, 21:04
Surely Pilot 1 on Course 1 would have been BEagle :E
Are you quoting Trenchards memoirs?

Sorry, couldn't resist it. the sequal ;)

MAINJAFAD
19th Apr 2011, 21:51
I'm pretty sure if you contact AHB, and say its for a service project, they will pull the Air 27 files from Kew and allow you to copy them at Northolt.

Roland Pulfrew
19th Apr 2011, 22:29
And if you are archiving just in case 101 don't come back, may I suggest contacting your colleagues on 42, 120 and 201? They are just going through the process of putting all of their stuff into "storage" :sad:

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2011, 06:25
The RAF Museum has a reserve collection at Hendon and it has a couple of shedloads of stuff including the original wings from the BBMF Spits, even spares from WWI fighters etc.

The way the RAF is going they will need more storage than Stafford had for the RAF.

Dengue_Dude
20th Apr 2011, 11:53
You could probably store the originals at Benson . . . they look after other people's stuff REALLY well . . .

Seriously, the best of luck. I never managed to fly the 10 (V rather than D), but always wanted too.

Then offered Tristars rather than the venerable jet, it was all about getting a licence.