PDA

View Full Version : QFI to FI(A)

captain_gash
18th Apr 2011, 20:04
Chaps,

I am appealing to the wiser amongst you lot on the subject of converting my military QFI cat (B1) into something that might be commercially viable on the other side of the wire.

Currently instructing on the fast and pointy with no single engine prop QFI time and this seems to be the show stopper. I have trawled through the LASORs and it appears that i must "complete training at a recognised FTO and pass an official exam with qualified dude" or words to that effect.

Before i go up against the CAA brick wall i was wondering if you boys had any knowledge of A. an FTO that might be sympathetic to my cause B. Any kind of work around as i have stacks of QFI hours but no single engine prop hours.

Thanks in advance

the capt

BEagle
18th Apr 2011, 23:37
To instruct for remuneration, currently you will need to hold a CPL(A) and an FI(A) Rating.

You may be eligible for some accreditation towards a CPL, depending upon your previous military flying as described in LASORS.

As regards an FTO sympathetic to your situation, perhaps the best bet is On-Track Aviation's Instructor | Examiner | Commercial Pilot Licence| Seaplane | Full and Part-Time courses (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/index.htm) ; they have guided several ex-military QFIs towards civil licences and ratings and are also ELCAS registered.

As for work, the only real chance is to network. Notwithstanding the quality of your military QFI time, there will be many spotty hours builders with lots of SEP time ahead of you in the queue.

Suggest you do your A2 if you also wish to teach 'applied instruments' and/or aerobatics.

And yes, it is indeed all bolleaux!

ATCAdam
19th Apr 2011, 00:27
If you're looking to build single engine prop hours, check with your local Air Experience Flight. I'm sure your experience would be recognised and welcomed at an Air Experience Flight and they may be willing to help you become a Tutor QFI should you so desire.

blagger
19th Apr 2011, 09:11
Speak to On Track at Wellesbourne - they have done stacks of mil to FI courses and know the situation inside out. Most of their FICs are ex-CFS as well so you will have no issues with the course content. I recommend you get their Instructor Guide written by Al Newton and John Halstead before doign a course as it will give you a massive headstart for reading in.

Junta Leader
19th Apr 2011, 09:35
Speak to On Track at Wellesbourne - they have done stacks of mil to FI courses and know the situation inside out.

'On-Track' are very much the way ahead. Went from A2 (again, all fast and pointy time) to FI(A) in a week - although it was pretty intense! Having lots of fun doing some basic SEP work but get loads of formation and aeros too.

Suggest you do your A2 if you also wish to teach 'applied instruments' and/or aerobatics.

Definately get your A2 prior to conversion if you can. Not only is it cheaper, you can also get all the restrictions lifted in a one-er.

PM me for more info, costs etc! I also know a school that's always on the look for ex-Mil QFIs to teach aeros etc...

JL:}