PDA

View Full Version : Flying after being knocked out

VIRGA
18th Apr 2011, 09:33
A mate of mine was knocked out (no not me) and is off sick at the moment with the other injuries. He believes he can go back to work but I'm not so sure.

What are the circumstances with regard to working again and is it self certifyable?

How much time does he require off before flying?

Does he have to notify the CAA and if so what is required by them?

Is the medical suspended?

Thanks for any information I can pass on as soon as possible.

Airbus Girl
18th Apr 2011, 11:45
I am only a pilot, but I had a bang on the head a few years back, and it hinged on whether I was unconscious or not. I wasn't, but if I had been I was told that I would have to get clearance from AME to get medical back. Any injury or illness like that should be notified to the CAA Medical Dept.

DX Wombat
18th Apr 2011, 16:32
The CAA Medical Department is probably the most helpful department in the CAA. Get your friend to talk to somebody from there, he will find the staff not only very helpful and sympathetic, but also very keen to keep him flying. :ok:

gingernut
19th Apr 2011, 20:23
I'm not sure of your definition of "knocked out."

As a clinician, I use these guidelines in the first instance...

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11836/36257/36257.pdf

If you (your friend) has neurological injury he needs to talk to his AME.
Keep us posted.:ok:

40&80
23rd Apr 2011, 19:40
That is some checklist to commit to memory!

cwatters
28th Apr 2011, 06:42
In the movies people are knocked out but quickly recover, jump up and rescue the girl. I think it's fair to say that's a fiction. If you are knocked out its because the brain has been injured. Perhaps his belief that he can go back to work without first getting medical approval is actually a symptom of the injury?