PDA

View Full Version : Southern 80 Helicopter Video

mickk
18th Apr 2011, 08:39
Some footage on tonights news and this from youtube. I think someones in trouble.

YouTube - Southern 80 Helicopter Driver CRAZY!!!!!!

havick
18th Apr 2011, 09:07
I hope they were filming under AWK at the time, or they're f_cked...

Ultralights
18th Apr 2011, 09:37
s0SN3tG4Atk

the good old days from before the OH&S social anchor was invented

Howard Hughes
19th Apr 2011, 01:08
I hope they were filming under AWK at the time, or they're f_cked...
They were operating that low due 'stress of weather'...:E

No, no, they were clearly on approach to an airport, I saw them turn base! ;)

VH-XXX
19th Apr 2011, 01:27
What have they actually done wrong?

Wanderin_dave
19th Apr 2011, 02:30
I'm with XXX, there are plenty of ways to do that legally. Let's not hang them out to dry just yet....

Anyway, the rego's not visible in the video - "Wasn't me officer" :E

mickk
19th Apr 2011, 09:15
I would have thought there was some sort of law against flying at lets call it a conservative 100 kph, less than a metre above a river 50 metres wide, lined with spectators was a little dangerous. Throw in a boat doing who knows what speed at times, towing two skiers and its just an accident waiting to happen to me. Throw in the bends and you cant tell me thats safe flying unless someone is shooting at you.

I love the concept, but given the insanity, deaths, injuries of this event over the years not a good move.

Would it be just uncontrolled airspace and a free for all?

Surely there would be some requirement to maintain some sort of clearance above the deck greater than what the good quality TV video showed as about 300mm above the river.

In all the thousands of Military helicopter videos Ive seen, Ive never seen one as low and fast as this one at the Southern 80.

osmosis
19th Apr 2011, 10:36
Bit of a non-story as far as I'm concerned and quietly wish this particular thread would drift off into the ether. The boating is much more dangerous isn't it?

On a positive note I saw "Snoopy" perform at Point Cook years ago and from much closer up if I recall correctly. Such public displays of excellent aircraft control can and do provide a great deal of inspiration; just wish there was more of it. Bugger the ne'ersayers.

C-change
20th Apr 2011, 12:11
The Snoopy display was good to watch.
Nice to see the SeaKings at the end of the video also.
Shark02 was the one that went down at Nias in 2005.

Wallsofchina
20th Apr 2011, 21:39
Bit of a vain hope Osmosis considering the very public name of the pilot.

bankrunner
20th Apr 2011, 21:52
Scud running, I'm sure I saw a CB at 100 feet in the video :ok:

Stikybeke
20th Apr 2011, 22:50
Thanks Ultralights....

Yet again you come up with the goods....(no offense to all the other Ppruners that put high quality vids on but...) that video is probably one of the better ones that I've ever seen on Pprune....

Stiky
:D

VH-XXX
21st Apr 2011, 00:05
All fun and games until someone loses their head and I don't think it will be the pilot!

Ejector
21st Apr 2011, 13:59
yeah it is fun and games, you don't work for CASA do ya? :p

27th Apr 2011, 03:32
What have they actually done wrong?

You would have to have a look at their low flying permit. If the flight was in accordance with the lfp, no problem.