PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon from Vegas

HighFlyer75
17th Apr 2011, 03:44
Hi All,

Can anybody recommend a good company where I can rent a C172/PA-28 with an instructor to do a scenic flight from Las Vegas to the grand Canyon? I know this has been asked before but most of the threads are pretty old so would appreciate any up to date suggestions that people might have. I will definitely be looking to take an instructor as I don't want to have to worry about airspace and nav for the flight if I don't have to.

My trip to Vegas is next weekend (21 - 25 April) and I realise that this might be short notice to organise something but it can't hurt to try.

Thanks in advance,
HF

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
17th Apr 2011, 08:13
try monarch sky at henderson exec south of the strip. used them couple of years ago, no pa28 but i took a da40 and instructor did 7hrs for about 600£
(instructor called bill no idea if he still there)

skyflies
17th Apr 2011, 12:16
West Air Aviation at North Las Vegas (KVGT) was very good.

West Air Aviation (http://www.westairaviation.com/)

I didn't check out and fly to the GC, but I did do a scenic flight with an instructor. I'd flown in the area before so I didn't feel like spending money on a checkout. Very friendly staff and nice, clean airplanes.

FlyTheDream
19th Apr 2011, 23:59
Second vote for Monarch - just got back from a trip and flew with them for 2 days. Bill was there and is highly recommended. Went in a glass DA40 but they have a 172 as well

FTD

stevelup
20th Apr 2011, 13:46
My vote would by Cactus Aviation (http://www.cactuslv.com/) at Henderson. A great bunch of people and well equipped, well cared for aircraft. Henderson is a great airport too.

I just spent four days with them doing my BFR, complex endorsement and a long cross country.

A selection of photos can be found here (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69673)

HighFlyer75
20th Apr 2011, 14:15
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will check out the suggested sites and get in contact with them to see if they have any availability.

@stevelup: Absolutely awesome pictures. Makes me want to do it even more now :)

HighFlyer75
20th Apr 2011, 17:17
I managed to get a booking with Monarch at noon on Friday. Going to be two firsts for me - flying over the grand canyon and flying a DA40. Really looking forward to the flight. Thanks again for the suggestions.

HighFlyer75
28th Apr 2011, 04:48
Well, I did my grand canyon flight over the weekend and it was excellent. Definitely would recommend Monarch Sky to anyone looking to do something similar. We flew a brand new DA40 with G1000 and the views over Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Grand Canyon and Red Rock Canyon were amazing. We tried to do a transit across the strip but the wind changed on us and the big boys were landing on our proposed flight path so we had to go back around the long way.

I also ended up doing an aerobatic flight in an Extra 330. Another great highlight for me.

No time for Sedona this trip SoCal but will put it on the list for the next one. I will definitely be going back because, as much fun as I had, I think I only scratched the surface of what Vegas had to offer. It's a crazy city.