PDA

View Full Version : ICAO change in Germany?

Brennig
15th Apr 2011, 10:34
Has anyone got the gen on why/when the German ICAO codes changed please? I used to work at EDURYT but see that the swamp is now called ETUR.

Thanks.

Chidken Sangwich
15th Apr 2011, 15:09
Think you'll fnd that the majority of ex Military Airfields are ETxx's with the others remaining as EDxx's.

Brennig
15th Apr 2011, 15:14
Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes, I know that Germany has split civil/military into ED and ET, but my question was why - because AFAIK no other country does this - and when?

Thanks.

B.

enicalyth
15th Apr 2011, 15:27
For example I think one side of Las Palmas is civil and the other military. Hence the ICAO address is appropriate to whichever part you are operating into and out of. The ED/ET duality has been such as long as I can remember.

Brennig
15th Apr 2011, 15:34
As long as you can remember? Well, just to let you know that from 1975-78 I was stationed at EDUR. Only now it's called ETUR. I think the change happened some time after reunification.

enicalyth
15th Apr 2011, 15:42
Shows just how frail the memory is. I am beginning to doubt the two codes for Las Palmas now!

Double Hydco
16th Apr 2011, 11:22
Brennig - I was stationed at Gutersloh late 80's and early 90's. Back then it was EDUO, and now it's ETUO.

The change happened around 1995, and as you've already said military airfields took the ET prefix. Before reunification the East German ICAO code was ET for both civil and military aerodromes (eg ETBS - Schönefeld).

I guess since they had both prefixes allocated, it was a good way to differentiate them?

enicalyth - I think Manston had both EGMH & EGUM at one point?

DH