PDA

View Full Version : Best place to go

pilotboy007
13th Apr 2011, 12:14
I'm trying to work out the best place to go for my pilgrimage up north. I hear Broome and Kunas is already chokas these days and not worth it. I'm in Melbourne and have 3 possible routes to take:

*Melbourne-Adelaide-Alice Springs-Darwin (Jabiru)
*Melbourne-Adelaide-Kalgoorlie-Geraldton-further up
*Up the east coast

Anyone know wheres I'm most likely to get work? Which of these 3 routes is the best to take? Or can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Also, does anyone know about the scene in Tasmania?

Mr. Hat
13th Apr 2011, 22:47
Try and find out the names of the operators in the less popular spots. Go and see them and you can guarantee they will remember you. I worked in one of these places and in two years we had two people actually come and visit even though we had plenty of jobs available during that period.

Howard Hughes
13th Apr 2011, 23:50
Route number one, make sure you see every operator no matter how small!:ok:

wishiwasupthere
13th Apr 2011, 23:57
I'd suggest going off the beaten track through SA and hitting up all the operators around Lake Eyre (Wilpena Pound, Marree, William Creek, Coober Pedy). I'd imagine they will be extremely busy over the next few months. That was my plan for my recent drive up north that I didn't end up needing to do! ;)

pilotboy007
14th Apr 2011, 14:07
Mr Hat,

Do you mind me asking who the operator was and where?

pilotboy007
14th Apr 2011, 14:09
wishiwasupthere,

Is this track accessible in a corrolla?

wishiwasupthere
15th Apr 2011, 00:15
pilotboy,
Re the driveability of the Oodnadatta Track, I've never driven it myself but my understanding is that when its dry its passable by most vehicles. I'm sure there are others here who can give a better answer.

I was keeping an eye on this website (Outback Roads Temporary Closures, Restrictions and Warnings Report - Transport SA (http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/northern.asp)) for road conditions. Any sign of rain seemed to close the tracks or make it 4WD only.

onezeroonethree
27th Apr 2011, 09:53
Is this track accessible in a corrolla?

Only if dry for a 2WD like that. Look up the equivalent to the RACV/RACQ for south australia to find out if the roads are open or not. They can close overnight even with little rain. (or view above post :ugh:)

Dont drive too fast. My car has plenty of holes from those roads :ok: