PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR(A) Learning Objectives

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 10:28
I know it's more applicable to the commercial side of the house, but there seem to be a few experts on here when it comes to European regulation!

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of the learning objectives for the flying side (as opposed to theoretical knowledge) of the JAA IR(A) (similar to page 2-D-7 onwards (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%202%20Subpart%20D%20-%20Amdt%205%20_JAR-FCL%201_.pdf) of this document for the CPL(A))? The corresponding document (Sec 2 Subpart E) on the CAA website just contains a solitary page with an example IR(A) Skills Test report form...

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 11:28
Each approved FTO submits there own.

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 11:33
Really? That's surprisingly flexible! I was hoping for a definitive list of 'stuff JAA deem necessary to learn to be issued an IR(A)'; I suspect that was wishful thinking given the variance in IFR strategies and regulation across Europe.

Does that mean there's no standard list of competencies required for the initial issue of an IR(A) in JAA-land then?

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 11:44
As far as I am aware that is the case.

I wrote ours by extracting the content from the skill test and creating learning objective from it that met CAA approval. There is not really that much to cover is there!

ADF/NDB
VOR
Airways Entry/Exit
Holds
Approaches

Aircraft Handling

IO540
13th Apr 2011, 13:51
So what do they spend 50/55 hours doing in the cockpit?

A half competent IMCR holder will know this stuff already, but he gets zero credit.

Only an ICAO IR holder gets some credit. But even he has to endure the mind numbing utter bull***t of the 7 IR exams which are less than 5% relevant to any kind of flying.

What is the name of "your" FTO, bose-x? I'd like to do my JAA IR there. It sounds even easier than that new setup in Albania.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2011, 14:02
The learning objectives are here (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/jar-fcl_objectives.html).

Personally I hate minimum hours syllabi with a vengeance. Make the pass standard clear and non-negotiable, and let pilots and FTOs sort out between themselves how to reach that point. This is whether it's a PPL, CPL or IR.

G

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 14:15
Sorry Genghis, but that's the Theoretical Knowledge. I was after the practical side...

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 14:16
Genghis the question was about the practical aspects not the TK.....

IO540 - Yep! You could come and be our first IR student. What fun.... :p:p

IO540
13th Apr 2011, 14:22
Well, I have just spent 5 minutes on google looking for an FTO called "Yep" but without success.

This is unusual. Normally, 5 mins on google is quite productive.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2011, 14:59
I sometimes think that I'm the only person who knows how to find stuff online. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_01.PDF)

G

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 15:05
G, I have that as well. What I was after was the JAA list of required competencies (as in JAR-FCL 1 Section 2 and the AMC) for someone to be issued an IR(A). The skills test guidance is useful, but not what I'm after...

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2011, 15:10
Err, if passing the skill test isn't it, what competencies are there?

G

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 15:18
Because I require the 'official' JAA list rather than my own 'homebrew' list taken from 'Guidance' for the IR(A) Skills Test...!

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 15:39
As far as I am aware there is not one. Oh, dejavu!

IO540
13th Apr 2011, 15:39
I have just worked out where bose-x's "FTO" is located. It is at that secret airport (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/corfu/albania-another-airport.jpg) in Albania, which is shown only on pre-1998 USAF ONC charts (my G3 one shows it). The giveaway is that long straight taxiway which goes into the bunker in the hills which minimises time spent in the open, on the ground. Absolute discretion is important in any business which wishes to deviate from European standards.

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 15:40
As far as I am aware there is not one. Oh, dejavu!

Each FTO creates a training course that they believe will meet the objective of the candidate passing the final skill test and submits it for approval.

Anonystude
13th Apr 2011, 15:43
Thanks, bose-x. I get it. I was explaining to Genghis why the Standards Document wouldn't cut it.

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 15:45
I have just worked out where bose-x's "FTO" is located. It is at that secret airport in Albania, which is shown only on pre-1998 USAF ONC charts (my G3 one shows it). The giveaway is that long straight taxiway which goes into the bunker in the hills which minimises time spent in the open, on the ground. Absolute discretion is important in any business which wishes to deviate from European standards.

Good god Peter what an earth are you rambling on about? Have you been sniffing the circuit board cleaner again?

UK FTO-966 if you really need to know!

red9
13th Apr 2011, 17:39
but who and where is UK FTO-966 ? I need to make decisions about getting a JAA IR soon myself , so why is it a secret ? I dont understand ? :sad:

Grassfield
13th Apr 2011, 18:04
Anonystude,

This is maybe the official documentation you're after.

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607069.pdf

Check appendixes 1 to jar-fcl 1.205 flight instruction IR(A) and appendix 1 & 2 to jar-fcl 1.210 skill test IR(A). All this starts on page 1-E-4.

/G

red9
13th Apr 2011, 20:00
perhaps I am missing something but I cant find in that document actual requirements for passing each section of an IR, ie airways entry / exit, holds, NP approaches etc ?
Or , for that matter what a teaching objective would be for each part ?

S-Works
13th Apr 2011, 20:31
Because there are none. Each FTO submits a course for approval that they believe will cover enough areas for the candidate to pass the test. Most courses are roughly the same as the information is shared around the industry.

When I wrote my course outline I was given an example guideline to work from and had to populate the rest myself. The same thing when I wrote training, ops, quality and SMS manuals.

It's a bit odd that the theory is very clearly laid down but the practical is very wooly!

red9
14th Apr 2011, 08:02
Bose : I like your practical approach to it, rather than the convoluted approach made by some FTO's !!
Is the FTO you work for in the USA ? would I have to do the IR there or does your FTO have a distance learning ( and hopefully flying) program ?

S-Works
14th Apr 2011, 08:56
TK learning is seperate from an FTO approval. I have no intention of seeking approval to do TK courses. There are enough out there already and the approvals are expensive. If you are looking for TK, then someone like CATS, Oxford or Bristol are your best option.

I would be happy to talk to you about practical training when you are ready to cross that bridge, feel free to drop me a PM.