PDA

View Full Version : Steroids

Mystico
13th Apr 2011, 09:47
Hi guys,

Maybe a weird question but it's just to win some information. I was wondering if steroids are illegal in aviation. Basically it's hard to find and they have to really search for different kinds of AAS in your body.

Just wondering if it's illegal as it doesn't really influence your performance in a negative way.

Cheers for answering...

P.S. Please keep the don't use that **** comments to yourself. I know it's rubbish but if I'm ever doubting with using it's nice to know it.

mad_jock
13th Apr 2011, 10:05
You have to declare your using them to your AME if you don't its illegal. And any self medicate steriods I would suspect would result in getting grounded.

Prescribed steriods from the folk I know who have taken them again its up to the AME if you can continue to fly.

I know guys who have had a jab go flying the next day with approval. Others that had 3 weeks to stabalise then were allowed to fly. And others that were grounded.

Steriods are pretty nasty drugs to be honest, the folk that I know who unfortuately have to take them long term have some pretty nasty side effects and seem to play a huge game of fiddling with the dosages constantly. And when they get the dosage wrong things get pretty nasty pretty quickly.

Mystico
13th Apr 2011, 10:09
Cheers for your answer. I know the side effects are not really enjoyable. Although it depends on what and how but that's a whole other story and science which took me approx 4 months to understand and find out.

I will drop the ball during my medical to check how they are thinking about it.

Btw ;) They aren't really called drugs. It's more enhancing the hypothalamus for more hormones

mad_jock
13th Apr 2011, 12:19
Gawd knows what they are meant to be called I am just glad I ain't on them.

In the UK anyway your meant to disclose as soon as your on any medication although most don't bother with a course of antibiotics. And in general they are pretty good at keeping us flying even if its under a multicrew only restriction. The AME's tend to get the hump on if you spring something on them during the medical, personally I would fess up and see what happens sooner rather than later.

And you think being on them is a PIA just wait until they have to ween you off them.

gingernut
13th Apr 2011, 13:29
Mystico, if you're talking about anabolic steroids, then the posession and use comes under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, so you'd be owning up to a criminal offence. (In the UK).

If you're talking about a medicinal steroid, eg prednisolone, it's likely that the authorities would take things on a case by case basis, although, usually, when we have to resort to prescribing these, the seriousness of the underlying condition has been elevated.

Bertie Thruster
13th Apr 2011, 18:35
I favour HgH (human growth hormone). A free internal anabolic agent that can be naturally boosted with HIIT (high intensity interval training) and lots of sleep!