PDA

View Full Version : How realistic is my perception of GA?

JMW123
12th Apr 2011, 14:16
I am a 19 year old NZer wanting to begin my CPL with-in the next 6 months. I have already put this off once due to being unsure of the state of the Aviation Industry in general and my job opportunities at the end of shelling out a significant amount.

Of course my gap year has just brought me to the conclusion that all I want to do is fly (working at the airport hasn't helped :})

I am (I think) realistic of my chances of chasing an airline job especially given the move of many major airlines towards cadet programs in the past 12 months. However, having caught the aviation bug it doesn't matter how rational I am, or how much cost benefit analysis I do (because it never seems to add up anyway) I still want to continue to follow my dream like many others I am sure!

My question therefore is this. I would like to know how realistic I am in assuming that if I were finish my CPL with 250-400hours and go up North or travel to Africa, that I could land a job in a single piston aircraft within 6-18 months? Obviously this is a foot in the door with a look towards multi time in the future:ok:

Im sure the answer can often be subjective but I just want to know if my expectations are completely unreasonable or not?

tail wheel
12th Apr 2011, 14:35
Your expectations are not unreasonable. You may achieve them, or you may not. Some have whilst others have failed.

The aviation industry is what you make of it, together with a few lucky breaks along the way.

Only you can make decisions that are right for you.

There will be some who commence flying training and make it to airline heavy metal. There will be others who complete training and will be lucky if they get a GA job. There will even be others who will never complete training.

Have you tried the Search function? All the information you need to make your decisions are there.

No one else can make those decisions for you.