PDA

View Full Version : OshKosh 2011 - Budget

VH-XXX
12th Apr 2011, 06:57
Thought this might be of interest to anyone who's considering going and hasn't organised it yet.

Went there with a relo last year and kept track of most of the costs before heading off.

The following DOES NOT include Food, Drinks, some entertainment & souvenirs.

Costs are per person unless obviously noted.

Total duration 2 weeks.

Note - dates in itinerary are last years.

The costs are as per last year with the exception of the Qantas or V Aust flights which I have taken the liberty of increasing for this year as they are very high at the moment due to the dollar. We stayed at Fond du Lac which would require a hire car, however I've modified the pricing to bring into line with staying at the University and catching their transport, or alternatively visit the EAA website for home-stay information.

In summary,

- Arrived in LA
- Mucked about for the day
- Went to Universal the next day (or Disney is just as handy)
- Flew out to Milwaukee
- Bus to Oshkosh
- 6 nights in Oshkosh with 5 full days at the show
- Bus to Milwaukee
- Flew out to Tucson, home of the boneyards
- 2 nights in Tucson
- Visited Titan Missile Museum
- Visited Pima Air and Space Museum
- Visit AMARC boneyard
- Drive out to the Grand Canyon via Phoenix (hot at that time of year!)
(there are other boneyards on this trip to look at)
- Stayed right on the southern rim of the canyon
- Drive to Vegas via Hoover Dam
- Stayed 2 nights in Vegas
- Drive to LAX, visit the beaches and fly out back to Melbourne

Pricing is Melbourne based.

I probably spent an additional $800 on souvenirs, food, drink and crap at OshKosh.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/Oshkosh.jpg

The Golden Rivet
12th Apr 2011, 07:52
good work, ive done the trip twice and found flying to mke much easier than chicago although getting the flight times to suit an early arrival at lax are harder. Too bad you didnt organise a car from mke, its only 2 hours to oshkosh and it lets you explore all the citys inbetween and around, like the oshkosh yacht club, australians can drink from the bar withour membership its right on the lake and fantastic, a must visit, plus for a day away from planes 3-4 hours gets you into chicago city, plenty of parking and many great things to do..... wish i was going this year but im doing it every two years (fun police:ugh:)

VH-XXX
12th Apr 2011, 08:53
By chance we met a guy from Sandel Avionics, sorry can't remember his name. He said when he was in OZ for a heli avionics upgrade the Aussies welcomed him with open arms, so whenever he met Aussies at OshKosh he invited them to his company's private function at the OshKosh yacht club. So I said I'd happily come along and dragged 7 others with me, Jaba and Beechie included for a great night of free beer and food. The yacht club was a pleasant venue after a visit to the SeaPlane base.

Met a very interesting couple from Ballina, originally from Arizona whom came to Australia in 1990 when flying their amphibious C208 around the world. A most interesting night.

Had considered hiring a car but they were prohibitively expensive and there were only a few left, even months earlier, however Jaba had already organsied a 10 seater for everyone.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/yc2.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/yc1.jpg

Jabawocky
12th Apr 2011, 12:38
Was a bloody good gig too just quietly! :ok:

I see Beachie and Jaba feature in your pics too:)

Why on earth we were all standing with such sore feet amazes me:confused:

Jack Ranga
12th Apr 2011, 22:23
Jaba,

Is that you in the horizontal striped shirt?

Jabawocky
13th Apr 2011, 03:14
That was a nice pale blue Canterbury shirt....until I went dirt bike riding in the rain with my brother during the floods....Mrs Jaba :mad:.....

Not many left in my collection now.:)

BEACH KING
13th Apr 2011, 10:42
Ahhh yes...The Oshkosh Yacht Club..
Met some very interesting and friendly Sepo's there.
You did well organizing that XXX :ok: That free grog tasted like pure nectar!
That Sandell bloke was a character.

The EAA show at Oshkosh is a wonderful experience, and an amazing part of the world in general.
I highly recommend it as something to do before you die.

AirBumps
19th Jun 2011, 13:33
Hey guys...

I'm heading over there this year with a mate and have decided to rent an RV from ORD and drive up, camping onsite. Never been before and was hoping somebody might be able to fill me in on what there is to do in the evenings? I see on some of the nights there are concerts and what not, but what about the important stuff like are there bars anywhere within walking/taxi distance of the place?

I'm guessing its a fairly social atmosphere on the campground, but from anybody whos camped there before I'd love to hear any advice or ideas you may have...

Cheers,
AB

VH-XXX
20th Jun 2011, 00:37
I was a little disappointed with Milwaukee. You'd think we were there on a Sunday afternoon when everyone was at Church. You could fire an AK47 down the main street and not hit anyone. Visited a few bars for something to do.

The trick AirBumps is to get yourself invited to as many functions as you can, the more the merrier. We went to the Yacht Club one night for a BBQ, the international tent another, the deHavilland dinner one night (pretended to own a Tigermoth) and the RV dinner on another. That and the Theatre in the woods and you're all set.

Ultralights
20th Jun 2011, 01:03
the other half is heading to Oskosh this year, flight Direct SYD- Toronto, air canada, hire camper, drive down.

AirBumps
20th Jun 2011, 04:14
The trick AirBumps is to get yourself invited to as many functions as you can, the more the merrier. We went to the Yacht Club one night for a BBQ, the international tent another, the deHavilland dinner one night (pretended to own a Tigermoth) and the RV dinner on another. That and the Theatre in the woods and you're all set. Roger that! So a little bit of bull**** and self embellishment and I should be fine....Situation normal then :ok:

CHAIRMAN
20th Jun 2011, 12:35
There's a house many posters here may know directly opposite said Yacht Club in the photo, where you can stay for $60-$70 a night.......fully aircon, brekky and chat with Del and Gloria. Brat fry on Thursday, washing if you need it, and ride home from the daily pissup wherever that may be.
And I didn't even pretend to own a Retard Vehicle when I fronted up with Jaba last year to the RV dinner.
Can you get me an invite this year too Jaba:ok:

VH-XXX
20th Jun 2011, 12:39
An invite to the RV dinner will cost you around US$35 and you can hear a speech like the hour long one we heard from some guy who teaches Astronaughts to land space shuttles :ugh:

fernytickles
20th Jun 2011, 14:42
Great to see some of youse are coming this year :ok:

The hotel right on the airport that DUXNUTz mentions is the Hilton, rather than the Marriott. As you can imagine, rooms there don't come cheap.

For accommodation links & suggestions, the Oshkosh Convention & Visitors Bureau - EAA Lodging, Accommodations, Short-term Rentals, Houses, Camping, Hotels, Gruenhagen - Visit Oshkosh (http://www.visitoshkosh.com/eaa-lodging.html) is very helpful. Also, check out craigslist - appleton apts/housing for rent classifieds "eaa" - craigslist (http://appleton.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=eaa&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=) A lot of people have been posting on there offering rooms in their homes, or the whole home to rent.

There is multiple entertainment on every evening, ranging from private parties through Theatre in the Woods to the fly in movie theatre to type group club gatherings to chapter gatherings to lifetime member gatherings. And of course the night airshow - fingers crossed for the weather again this year! Suffice to say, you shouldn't be short of things to do in the evenings.

If you haven't been before, try to make a stop at the seaplane base (just remember the mosquito juice), I doubt you'll be disappointed. The watermelon social - Watermelon Social (http://www.oshkoshseaplanebase.com/watermelon_social.php) is well worth going along to - great food and fun atmosphere.

AB - You may find some answers to your questions on oshkosh365.com in the AV section. Camping on the grounds is definitely the way to do it. The campgrounds go from a very large, empty space for 45 weeks of the year, to a small city of about 30,000 to 40,000 people for the main week of AV. 99% of folks there are happy to help if you have any questions or issues.

Or pm me if you have any other questions.

Look forward to seeing you at the International Party :ok:

Jabawocky
20th Jun 2011, 21:37
XXX

I thought Paul Dye's presentation was quite interesting. Besides most of us already knew how to land an RV.

VH-XXX
20th Jun 2011, 21:46
It was interesting. Was just disappointing when we found out that he wasn't an astronaut :-)

By George
21st Jun 2011, 01:39
If you have a spare day in LAX, skip Mickey-Mouse and plastic women, drive to Chino (1 hour journey) and visit the "American Duxford". The Yanks Museum and the Planes of Fame Museum are, in my opinion, the best in the world. Route 71 turn-off and follow the signs, it's an easy drive. (apart from being on the wrong side of the road.)

fernytickles
21st Jun 2011, 01:56
If you go to Chino, try out the cafe on the field, near the P of F museum - great food & great atmosphere.

Paul Dye was NASA's lead flight director for three Phase 1 missions: STS-79, STS-86, and STS-91. As a flight director, Dye was responsible for planning, directing, and controlling the activities of the space shuttle team during these human space flight operations.

And he built a gorgeous looking RV-8.

You're a tough one to please, XXX :sad:

By George
21st Jun 2011, 03:41
Ah yes Flo's Restaurant, one of her hamburgers is enough to last you for three days. Home style cooking and hospitality, lots of cream and coke, enough to kill a horse. The original owner was Flora Slack, hence the name but it has changed hands. Lovely people, all aeroplane mad, fascinating photos on the wall and part of the reason to go there.

VH-XXX
21st Jun 2011, 04:23
You're a tough one to please, XXX

I'm sorry, but there is a certain prestige assigned with being an astronaut. Most of the guys there watching got to the end before they realised he wasn't an astronaut. Maybe it was too much Budd that caused my fuzzy memory.

Jabawocky
21st Jun 2011, 07:09
Too much heat stress there XXX.

Paul Dye is a NASA Flight Director, he also instructs in the SIM I believe.

Shuttle-Mir History/People/Team Members/Dye (http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/history/shuttle-mir/people/p-t-dye.htm)