PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, freedom of speech!

Jumeirah James
11th Apr 2011, 19:41
BBC News - UAE arrests democracy activists (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13043270)

jinglied
11th Apr 2011, 22:34
Any newspapers shutdown?

Jinglie'd

5star
12th Apr 2011, 03:48
Next time you fly with a local, ask him what he thinks of the political situation in the UAE....Quite a lot have an outspoken meaning.
Give it a few more years.....Same with the property crash they managed so well...Greedy till the whole thing exploded in their faces...
Was surprised to see this item covered in Gulf News yesterday...

In the mean time Good luck to the EK Recruitment team: Nothing left then to throw a lot more money at us to increase the numbers me thinks.....

Dubaian
12th Apr 2011, 08:03
5* - bet you a sub editor on GN got a ticket home for that. Normally they toe the Govt Line so closely they've got more foot trouble than a prima ballerina.

TooLow
12th Apr 2011, 17:55
A couple of days ago "7 Days" (local free rag) reported a Dubai-based human rights activist was taken from his home by 10 men (2 cops, rest dish-dashes). His wife hasn't heard from him since, and the police don't know anything about it (no surprise there).

Anyone else heard about this? Seems like this place is not really so different from its neighbours after all...

Kamelchaser
13th Apr 2011, 01:40
Yes, was quite suprised to see this reported in Gulf News, 7Days, and The National..probably in other newspapers that I didn't read.

I think one of the articles mentioned a number of people had been arrested. Certainly worth a thought for those considering making this part of the world their home for the next few years.

It is not a place where you have any real rights. It's a fine line between having a peaceful life here, and having your life completely ruined by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time...eg being rear-ended by someone with connections who wants to blame you for his cock-up.