PDA

View Full Version : Skywest ATR72 Interviews

ComeByChance
11th Apr 2011, 11:21
Has anyone been called for interviews since Skywest Advertised for a second time?

Would those who have been interviewed care to provide details of the interview process. I've heard there is a sim ride in the F100 and a Tech quiz.

Regards

CBC

Skystar320
11th Apr 2011, 12:25
Why would there be a sim ride in the FK100 when the job is for an ATR72 job

The Green Goblin
11th Apr 2011, 12:30
Cause there is no ATR sim in Australia, the F50 sim is in KL and XR have the resources to operate the F100 sim.

Think about it :hmm:

Waghi Warrior
11th Apr 2011, 21:03
What difference does the type of sim make ? Nothing ! At a guess I'd say that a large majority of their suitable applicants would have zero ATR time anyway. Good if you're an experienced F100 pilot, and current. In reality if Skywest have designed such an assessment that is reasonable (Which I'm sure they have), no one will be disadvantaged. Didn't Eastern's' once use the B767-200 sim for initial screening at one point in time ?

As far as the interview and tech quiz goes, know your CAO and AIP requirements together with all the HR BS answers, ie why do you want to work for us, etc ? Most people shouldn't have to much dramas if they are prepared.

Also if you want to do this and aren't current in instrument flying, I'd strongly suggest getting current before the sim ! Even if it's using MS flight sim. I have seen many good experienced pilots who weren't current blow their employment prospects by either crashing the sim or totally loosing it, due to not being IF current.

Good luck to all who apply, as I personally feel that this will be a good operation.

Going Nowhere
11th Apr 2011, 22:00
My QLink sim was in the 747 Classic sim, others did it in the 767.

Shouldn't make much difference once they give you all the numbers you need to know :ok:

tom88
12th Apr 2011, 02:59
The requirement to have a Year 12 pass in Physics is a bit much don't you think? Virgin mainline don't even have such an absurd requirement.

Why for the ATR?

Chadzat
12th Apr 2011, 03:25
If you dont have it then it doesnt take much night school to get an "equivalent" qualification. Its not like they are wanting a uni degree....... Its just part of a filter they are obviously using. Just like the Qantas groups hugely relevant to piloting psychometric testing. :yuk:

Skywest have always had Year 12 Physics as a requirement by the way.

Monopole
12th Apr 2011, 04:01
I know of a fair few people who didnt have year 12 and got an interview. They had command experience on 2 crew turbo props though. As always, min requirements can be changed to suit.

ComeByChance
12th Apr 2011, 12:12
Thanks for the replies thus far.

So has anyone be called yet for the second round of interviews? Those who have been interviewed and successful, have you been give a start date yet?

Dnav31
12th Apr 2011, 12:49
Heard on the grape vine today, at least 5 Toll Av ATR pilots (both F/O's and Capt's) have had interviews.

puff
12th Apr 2011, 16:12
I bet Toll were thrilled when Virgin/Skywest announced they were going with ATRs!

I'm guessing that most of the ATR guys at Toll have probably been with the company for a while and thus possibly not bonded anymore as well, or is there a fresh bond moving from Metro to ATR?

Either way may be some movement in Toll shortly - makes sense probably the only ozzies around with current ATR experience, only others possibly endorsed were the few macair guys, but thats not 'recent'.

Skywest gunna be using the Mt Cook/ANZ sim in AKL or are they looking at getting their own ?

ComeByChance
13th Apr 2011, 13:07
So back to my first question, has anyone been called since applications closed for a second time last Friday? I missed the cut-off for the first round so applied this time. Like many pilots out there, I don'tthave ATR time but have been operating in HCRPT for many years and previous C & T. I've heard when applications closed the first time those selected for interviews were called within a few days after the closing date. A

Another rumour I heard is the -600 could be a different endorsement to the -500, don't know if this is a CASA requirement all not.

Anyone have any info on the interview process.

Regards

CBC

Mr. Hat
13th Apr 2011, 22:09
I bet Toll were thrilled when Virgin/Skywest announced they were going with ATRs!

As long as their conditions were good and they looked after their staff they shouldn't have a problem.

sled_driver71
14th Apr 2011, 03:23
CBC

Word on the grapevine (and seems to make sense) is the first positions were offered to type rated people to start the T & C department. Once thats sorted then they'll interview for non-rated pilots from the pool of around 300+ applicants. Keep in mind that Skywest will need to double its pilots numbers in the next few years so there are effectively 100 jobs available for the right candidates.

Good luck!

ComeByChance
17th Apr 2011, 04:08
Back to the top.

Sled,

So far I know three people who have been offered positions and not one of them had ATR time.

Anyone been interviewed for or been offered the training and check positions?

Mr. Hat
17th Apr 2011, 08:17
Some VB people might be eyeing these off.

Roger Greendeck
21st Apr 2011, 08:59
Have heard a few Toll guys have been offered jobs but I think that was from the first round. Anyone heard about interviews being offered yet?

GAFA
21st Apr 2011, 11:15
True Mr hat, a few Ejet Captains have expressed interest in the check and training spots due to the Brisbane base. Some FOs are keen on taking command slots due to command upgrades coming to a stop on the Ejet due to the ATR's. The AFAP have proposed a minimum of 2 years secondoment with the VB retaining their Date of joining. They would be employed under Skywests T & C.

Stiff Under Carriage
22nd Apr 2011, 13:18
Never heard 'boo' from them! Extensive multiple crew large turbo prop time and significant T&C experience.

frigatebird
22nd Apr 2011, 21:27
Stiff Under Carriage - you must have Dash 8 time with a handle like that. If you get onto ATR you will appreciate the Trailing-link touchdowns. Have a thousand hours command on 42s and never heard from them either.

Wally Mk2
22nd Apr 2011, 22:31
'Frigbird' one often hears about such things. Appropriate exp but get left out of the party! Ya gotta ask what some employers really want, gringo's to 'shape' who won't rock the boat perhaps?
Just as a side note I recall some years ago a few of us went for a KD interview at Tulla. All of us with turbine exp, lots of multi hrs some of us had light jet time & out of the 16 or so interviewees 2 got slots on Metros, one 'winner' ( if ya call 'em that!) was a 'knotty' bank runner & the other a lighty instructor from MB I believe..............go figure? Anyway in a way KD did us a fav as not long after that they went tits up:) There is a God after all:ok:

Safe Easter to all on & above grnd lvl:)

Wmk2

Barry Mundy
23rd Apr 2011, 04:53
Same as SUC and Frigatebird

saabsforever
23rd Apr 2011, 06:38
Same, chances are they are still shuffling the CV stack and wondering who they want to drag in for a chat.

KRUSTY 34
23rd Apr 2011, 10:37
At least one REX Captain (there may be more) has got the nod'. Solid Metro and SAAB command time, no ATR experience AFAIK.

12 month &12K bond (I reckon that's fair), but F50 T&C's until the ATR EBA is finalised, then back pay! Hope it works out for them. First base is BN, followed by SY and ML over the next 18 months.

strim
23rd Apr 2011, 13:16
Any truth to the rumor there were a bunch of Rex skippers on sick leave the day of interviews?

A substantial bunch?

frigatebird
23rd Apr 2011, 22:01
Yeah, that sounds fair, Krusty. Finally, some sanity. Obviously they picked him for the solid local operations background on those types. ATRs are pussycats anyway, he'll pick it up in no time at all. Will be keen to hear how they like it and the operation out of Brisbane in 12 months time. Will be great to read the comments then.

cauli777
22nd Aug 2011, 14:35
Where do we apply? Anyone got a link with application and info?

Thanks!

Chadzat
22nd Aug 2011, 14:46
I think being able to type in "skywest" in google is a pre-requisite! :hmm:

-Seriously, if you look at the skywest website they have an online application page.

sleeve of wizard
22nd Aug 2011, 15:37
Took less than 30secs to find this Skywest Flight Crew Application System (http://www.skywest.com.au/employment/flightcrew/)

Sqwark2000
23rd Aug 2011, 11:19
First base is BN, followed by SY and ML over the next 18 months.

Canberra is next....

didjubrinabeer
11th Sep 2011, 03:14
Hey Guys

Greetings..

Just wondering if there is any interview process stuff lying about out ther in cyber world:...I have heard the interviews are in MEL?? and sim on the King Air sim in MEL??

AFter quiz examples and panel stuff other than the WHYS QS....Cause that one is easy,,,I still dont know WHY!

Cheers
Beers

bigbrother
11th Sep 2011, 03:45
the last round of sims were in Redcliff on a synthetic Trainer. Two REX Captains I know off attended, not sure how many more were there or go the nod. I have heard of pilots recently having companies fighting for them to committ. Frig!
Check out AFAP web site will give some indication of movement. REX are going to bleed shortly if things keep moving. Few F/O's to upgrade, with F/O's and Captains leaving to CX, VB, QL Skywest ..........not to mention the exodus to Hong Kong, and Emirites. About damn time:E

batisega
13th Jan 2012, 14:50
Hi guys!
In order to come back to the main topic, anyone has informations about the interview and sim session?
-group test or only personnal interview?
-psychotest?
-sim : who is on the left side? another candidates acting as PNF or an instructor?

Thanks for your help!

mirkorak
1st Feb 2012, 07:43
As I said before. First group will be on 03, 04 and 5th of February 2012.
Interview is sim session and 45 minutes of questions asked by people from Skywest. That is all nothing more nothing less. You have to cover your trip and hotel stay they are not paying anything and they are open to help with a time to comfort your request for specific time.
I was asked to come but I will not go due to conditions offered. Conditions are the same as for locals. Recently they offer a job via ETOPS and Sigmar.
I have 11000 + hours and almost 7000 on ATR all types. Soon I will have 600 rating. Maybe that was a reason to call me/
Good luck to all.

Fuel-Off
1st Feb 2012, 13:37
I was asked to come but I will not go due to conditions offered

Are you saying that the conditions on the ATR with JAT are better comrade? :E

You will find that in Australia, expat jobs aren't remunerated higher than the locals...industrial law and all. But happy to be corrected.

Fuel-Off :ok:

mirkorak
1st Feb 2012, 21:49
I am out of JAT for almost 8 years so my comparison is little bit different. So I don't like it and I gave my reasons via private massages to anybody who asked.
Also you are right but I am not expecting them to offer me something else from the others. Anybody can apply and I wish everybody all the best with the application. And I am not comrade just fellow pilot.

Anthill
12th Feb 2012, 03:39
What salary is being offered to Captains for the ATR? Allowances, Bonds? Overtime?

Zoomy
22nd Feb 2012, 05:58
Hi All,

Has anyone been contacted for March interviews as yet?

Regards

squarebear
25th Feb 2012, 07:19
Wondering what the T & C's are for DEC and F/O.

Have had a look at the Skywest EBA but unfortunately no mention of an ATR pay scale.

Do appreciate that the scale is being negotiated and understand that the initial pay is on the F50 scales with any increase to be back paid.

However it would be nice to have an idea of what the ATR pay might be, even ballpark would do (i.e. what is being asked for by the pilot group).

Thoughts?

cessna95
2nd Mar 2012, 00:26
Some basic information is available:

Captain salary will be in the region of AUS$100,000
First Officer salary will be in the region of AUS$65,000
Many allowances are paid including area allowance, personal inconvenience allowance, productivity payment, overnight allowance, etc. etc.
This is a non-commuting contract but with 45 days annual leave provided along with options to use rostered days off either side of annual leave taken.
The airline will pay for and organize a 457 work Visa with the Australian Government.
The airline will pay and organize for all pilot license conversions to meet the Australian requirements.
Airfare to Australia for start and end of contract should be provided by the airline.
All pilots will receive one month’s accommodation on arrival into Australia.
Bases are Brisbane and Canberra.

Ozavatar
2nd Mar 2012, 05:44
G'day fellow Aviators,

I got a march date with Skywest.

Just trying to find out more about the upcoming interview. I am told that there is a 45 minutes interview and 30 mins tech and an hour on B200 Sim @ ansettt Sim Centre

Thats all i have been told plus bring all the original documents.

I would like to find out from my fellow aviators who could shed some lights on the upcoming interview and what to expect there . How many guys at the panel.What is the format for sim. Is that gonna be the Melb/Essendon or something else???

How was the interview like ( as in opposed to one in Qlink , u know what i mean!!!!!) How many guys are they looking to hire ? How was the tech questions?? Is it basic aerodys or we are talking more ATR specifics.

Thanks in Advance

Oz

squarebear
2nd Mar 2012, 06:57
Hans,

not a very helpful answer there, I'm afraid.

If you had read my post I did mention that I was aware that the ATR pay was presently the same as the F50 (as did a few others).

However, I am of the belief that negotiations are proceeding for a separate pay structure for the ATR.

One would hope that a larger aircraft would attract a greater pay, and perhaps that may fit somewhere between the F50 and the F100 scales.

I was therefore enquiring as to any solid ideas of what the pilot group was aiming for.
That my friend, is not found on google.

However, to save Hans from having to waste his and our time with the old use google comment in the future, here is the link, found on google (without assistance :ugh:) for the current Skywest EBA.

http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/agreements/fwa/AE882623.pdf

Some of us, (well at least me), make decisions based on known T & C's. Perhaps someone has an idea of what is being pursued.

Chadzat
2nd Mar 2012, 11:26
Squarebear if you would care to peruse your PM's :ok:

Zoomy
3rd Mar 2012, 02:30
Ozavatar,
Congrats on the interview. May I ask of your experience. I believe they are interviewing every month for a while, so am still holding out some hope.

Regards

FlareHighLandLong
3rd Mar 2012, 02:44
I'd be keen for any extra interview or t&c info. Trying to decide if Skywest is right for me.

Anyone know if the atr crews will be on the same seniority list as the rest of Skywest? Could be a big influence on progression.

Ozavatar
3rd Mar 2012, 02:55
Who is coming to Melb for 13th & 14th March Interview with Skywest ???

Oz

Polonski
6th Mar 2012, 08:34
Hey guys just recently went for a Skywest interview - this is what I learned:

First off a 45' interview with 1xHR and 1x fleet captain. Typical questions, why do you want to work for us, do you know our bases, and scenario questions, what if your captain turned up obviously very sick, what do you do?

Secondly an IFR 30' technical interview, can you brief me this approach, what engines does the aircraft use, and one that PPRUNERS have been arguing about re conducting the Albany 14 ILS then circling for runway 32 and what minima is required, and general IFR knowledge.

Thirdly a sim ride in a (Baron, mine was in Perth) conducting the Perth ILS after some general handling, steep turns etc.

Read your AIPs and know about the aircraft and company. Unfortunately I didn't get the nod, fairly disappointed I've heard it's a great gig - I think I was too bloody nervous to think straight!!! :ouch:

Good luck everyone!!! :ok:

FlareHighLandLong
14th Mar 2012, 10:35
Sooooo...

Did anyone get a good feel for how many interviewed vs spots, esp.the critical dec question?

BPA
14th Mar 2012, 11:06
So how many interviewed and how many spots?

What was the DEC question?

Ozavatar
20th Mar 2012, 03:26
has anyone heard from Skywest with the outcome of March 13 & 14 th Interview that was held in Melbourne at the Ansett Training Centre.

Thanks

Oz

inxs
20th Mar 2012, 04:00
And does anybody realise that Skywest are importing a truckload of foreign pilots from overseas with ATR time under a WA Skills Migration Program...????? :=:mad:

cessna95
22nd Mar 2012, 01:31
is this the 457 VISA?