PDA

View Full Version : More Super Hornets for the RAAF

Gnadenburg
10th Apr 2011, 22:36
This has wide reaching implications for the aviation/defence industry in Australia, as we may be looking at a reduced JSF buy-

Air force eyes 18 more Super Hornets as delays dog our new fighter | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/defence/air-force-eyes-18-more-super-hornets-as-delays-dog-our-new-fighter/story-e6frg8yo-1226036923907)

I'd like to pose a few questions.

- Who is being held accountable for the JSF gamble? We are being told by the RAAF brass that we need 100 JSF aircraft to fight concurrent air campaigns. This is a dim view of our strategic/regional outlook. If the security outlook so bleek from Defence, why do we have a smaller number of tactical fighters now?

- We have been told the Super Hornets will be sold back to the US Navy when JSF available in numbers. Has the US Navy agreed to buy them back at a all or at a reasonable price? With the emergence of Chinese blue water Pacific ambitions, and associated capabilities, why would the US Navy buy them back in 10 years+ anyway: when the Chinese threat will dictate a US naval upgrade.

- Lockheed/Martin's influence in Canberra seems to be far reaching. There have been a number of gambles on JSF that seem to have gone wrong. Anyone remember the F104 scandals of the 60's? Is there any advertised and open disclosure of who from Defence or ex-RAAF is being employed by Lockheed Martin.

Like This - Do That
11th Apr 2011, 00:51
Anyone remember the F104 scandals of the 60's? Is there any advertised and open disclosure of who from Defence or ex-RAAF is being employed by Lockheed Martin.

Gnads, one difference I can see now is that in 1961 the market was wide open: F-8, F-11 Super Tiger, Mirage III, Draaken, EE Lightning, F-106 ... probably a couple I've missed. Not that wide a choice now :eek:

frigatebird
11th Apr 2011, 03:17
Yes

Anyone remember the F104 scandals of the 60's?

and the late introduction of the finally-sorted F-111 with the F4 Phantom interim capability.

History repeats.

(Meanwhile, the invasion boats keep coming..)

ftrplt
11th Apr 2011, 08:22
We have been told the Super Hornets will be sold back to the US Navy when JSF available in numbers

I cant recall the statement that the SH's will be sold back to the USN ever being made?

(They do have a (current) planned withdrawal date of 2020).

Gnadenburg
11th Apr 2011, 11:44
It was mentioned by the Minster at the time. Sounded like spin considering the SH would be itself being replaced in the USN by JSF. Even if the USN did buy them back who would they sell them to? There are no other SH operators.

Some reports as recently as last year of a sell-back-

Australia Unruffled By F-35 Delays - Defense News (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4545916)

Nelson's statement-

US fighter to fill air defence gap - National - theage.com.au (http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/us-fighter-to-fill-air-defence-gap/2007/03/06/1173166698688.html)

Super Hornet will be around for a long time in RAAF service.

SgtBundy
11th Apr 2011, 13:30
I recall one of the ABC investigative shows had some story about the time the super hornet/JSF deal came out. From memory at the time the tender was still open and a EADS rep was on their way to meet with Brendon Nelson about pitching the Typhoon and next thing the SH deal was announced. There was some suggestion the RAAF were not even consulted on the deal. At a minimum the deal seemed rushed, that that the Typhoon was probably a likely option.

By all accounts we will be better off with the SH anyway. Its a proven design, its reasonably capable for the sorts of engagements we are likely to be in and nearly everyone else seems to be abandoning the F-35 consortium as it drags its heels to production.