PDA

View Full Version : FAA Glider rate to power?

powerless
10th Apr 2011, 13:24
Can anyone tell me what is involved in adding a power rating to my stand alone FAA Private Pilot Certificate with Glider rating? I am UK based but got my rating when on an extended business trip in the US.

I was told if I add a rating this means I don’t need a BFR for another two years so was thinking that were this true would be more interesting than doing the BFR when I am next in the US.

Cannot find any reference to this on the FAA website so hope there is someone on PPRuNe can tell me if this is possible or it is simplyto start from scratch!.

julian_storey
11th Apr 2011, 13:11
Adding any rating to your FAA certificate may be used in lieu of a BFR.

powerless
14th Apr 2011, 10:56
Thanks for the confirmation of the BFR status, just hope someone may have the answer to the add on of power rating.

LTCTerry
13th Dec 2011, 13:23
Much of your experience will be usable.

This FAA website Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d98a9bf0879b75520507d3603d2087aa&rgn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.5&idno=14) details all the requirements for ASEL.

If you look at the section on aeronautical experience, you will see a requirement for 40 (total) hours of flight time. All your glider time counts towards this. There is a further breakdown of aeronautical experience such as:

... training must include at least—

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;

(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least—

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

Any flight that can count in more than one are will. Dual crosscountry under the hood works towards multiple requirements. Although unlikely, you could do one dual cross country at night and the five solo hours during the day. If you land at control tower equipt airports you have met an additional requirement "for free." If you accomplish it all within two months than the "three hours of check ride prep" is a moot point.

Also, you will have to pass the private pilot (ASEL) written exam.

If the requirement doesn't say "in a single engine land airplane" then any aircraft will do.

I know the question was asked in April, but perhaps this helps...

Terry