PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Bradford Airspace

kevkdg
10th Apr 2011, 11:46
Hi,

I'm a relatively new PPL.

I live in Cookridge (North Leeds) and my house is within the Leeds Bradford control zone, in fact my house is directly underneath the light aircraft circuit (which they alternate half way through the day apparently to give us a break).

I fly from Rufforth.

What are the chance of getting to fly over my house and circle it a couple of times, would love to see it from the air! Passenger could take a photo etc.

Scotsheli
10th Apr 2011, 15:11
...you phone and ask ATC in advance of departure so that they know to expect you; they might suggest some times to avoid too. From memory (I don't fly down there) its Class D SFC-FL85 so you obviously need a clearance to enter once airborne too.

I usually find most ATSU's accommodating as long as you don't ask to enter the zone at peek periods.

Adhere strictly to any altitude restrictions they give you and don't forget to pack enough feet to land clear if it goes quiet!

Happy snapping.

Scots.

FlyingForFun
10th Apr 2011, 17:14
I haven't done enough flying around Leeds to comment specifically, but in general I'd agree with Scotsheli - shouldn't be a problem if you ask nicely and pick a quiet time.

Also, be sure to sound confident, and describe succinctly exactly what you want - if you give the controller the impression you don't know what you're doing he'll assume that you're going to end up either wandering around aimlessly whilst looking for your house, or else that he'll need to contact you and you won't answer or won't follow his instructions.

I used to work as PPL instructor at Blackpool, and did lots of trial lessons around the Manchester zone, which is probably a lot busier than Leeds. Two flights spring to mind that demonstrate how easy it can be.

On one occasion, my student wanted to fly over his house, which was literally just outside the Manchester zone. I called them because it was so close it would have been impolite not to (they'd have been watching me on their radar screen wondering what the hell I was doing - much easier for all if I just tell them what I'm doing I figured). As soon as I passed my flight details, they came straight back with "roger, and you're cleared into the zone if you need it".

The other occasion I'm thinking of, this time the student pointed out on the chart where his house was - and it was well inside the Manchester zone. I explained that I couldn't guarantee we'd get permission, but we'd head down that way and ask. Manchester frequency sounded really busy..... but I called anyway. They gave me a squawk, then, very reluctantly "G-xx, cleared into the zone, one orbit around your site, then straight out again". Hooray! No sooner had the controller said that than my student spotted his house - several miles away from where he originally told me it was, and well outside the Manchester zone! I had to apologise to the controller for wasting his time.... but it shows it can be done!

Good luck!

FFF
------------

flybymike
10th Apr 2011, 17:53
I have been flying from Leeds for 28 years and as others have remarked there should be no problem if you firstly contact ATC by phone to arrange a "likely time" which would be suitable to do it. You would be well advised to have your house co ordinates input into a GPS so that you could go straight to it without faffing around looking for it. Incidentally I have never known ATC vary the circuit direction just to give the neighbours a rest but I may be wrong!

kevkdg
10th Apr 2011, 18:56
cheers, will phone them. Forgot to mention not currently transponder equipped!

WRT the alternating circuit, I was told that by the Senior Air Traffic Control Officer at a recent CAA Safety Eve at Multiflight... whether it actually happens or not I guess is another matter!

Get me some traffic
10th Apr 2011, 22:29
ATC LBA are very professional and accommodating. Give them a ring and I'm sure they'll oblige. (Don't tell them I said they were P&A, they'll never believe you!!!)