PDA

View Full Version : CASA and one-eyed pilots

windy1
10th Apr 2011, 11:25
Does anyone know the CASA policy on medical certificates for Private Pilot Licences in cases of monocularity or substandard vision in one eye?

Does each eye independently have to meet acuity and visual field standards or is there some "wriggle room"

or restrictions which may be applied e.g.safety pilot, no passengers etc

JESSIE ELIZABETH
10th Apr 2011, 11:40
Click on the CASA website-Manuals- to read the monocular pilot policy. See attached link
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Designated Aviation Medical Examiner's Handbook (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91302)

Clearedtoreenter
10th Apr 2011, 13:24
Usually restricted to Class 2 and Australian airspace only one eye has to meet required standard. No safety pilot required or restriction on pax.

spirax
10th Apr 2011, 13:47
I held a monocular class one for a short time when I had a problem with one eye. The only restrictions I recall were no low (Ag) flying or Rotary Wing ops.

The poor eye still 'worked' but not to standard. (it subsequently fixed itself). I understand that eye loss due trauma may have some issues until you get used to using one eye for depth etc.... But if you have some use of the poor eye then you should be ok as it will give you field of view etc even if not to specs.

I know one mate who has one eye and a class 2 medical. No night flying was his restriction I recall. He was a good formation pilot, so I guess it worked for him!

Good luck!

windy1
10th Apr 2011, 15:37
All very helpful and encouraging - thanks folks

Rattlegun
11th Apr 2011, 22:47
I held a monocular class one for a short time when I had a problem with one eye. The only restrictions I recall were no low (Ag) flying or Rotary Wing ops.

There is no mention of the rotary wing ops restriction in the DAME hand book. Any idea about where to look for the CAR/CAO.

I really want to be a rotary wing pilot, but AvMed have me classified as "Functionally Monocular." I've started another thread here (http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3767&p=32585) (Bladeslappper).