PDA

View Full Version : Let 410 endorsement

VH-BCY
10th Apr 2011, 06:43
Looking to import a Let 410 into OZ to use for parachuting. Is there any Aussie instructors out there that can do the training and issue a type rating and/or help with the ferry? If no suitably qualified Aussie instructors, what and where would it be the cheapest way to obtain the rating? Cheers in advance.:ok:

baron_beeza
10th Apr 2011, 08:54
While I am familiar with the type in Africa I am pretty sure I have never seen one in this region.

If this is the case you may be up against a few extra hurdles, - if you intend to put it on the Australian register it may well be 'first of type'.

While not the end of the world the local regulatory authority would have specific requirements regarding both maintenance and operations.

If one has already been on the register you can probably ignore the above however you may need to check and confirm the position.

I know of one operator who imported two aircraft, of different Dash numbers..... yep, Two 'first of types'....
An unexpected and cruel hit, - a little more prior planning may have helped out in their case.

You will need to ask some questions of your maintenance provider as well. They will need to be appropriately rated and with the correct publication and equipment support.

I never actually flew the one in Africa but I did get about in it a bit... seemed an ok machine. The Company operating it seemed happy enough.

lk978
10th Apr 2011, 08:58
I would suggest it will be expensive as there is no operator here or in the usa so you are up for the European training with LET Aircraft Industries - LET, AIRCRAFT (http://www.let.cz/index.php?sec=34)

here is ast of operators around the world
Request Air Charter Quote for all LET-410 Aircraft (http://www.aircharterguide.com/OperatorRFQ.aspx?cat=0&rad=50&AircraftType=LET-410&RadiusPageNumber=0)

It's not as simple as a few hours in the twin otter as most skydive operators prefer. They will want to do the training as if the pilot is going to be flying it on RPT operations.

The easiest way would be to pay a guy with multi training aproval to go do the course get it certified on his Aussie license and go from there. Probably want to make it a guy who can do check and training too with all this talk casa want to make skydiving commercial operation.

I'm not sure how you will go with first of type ect as usually if it was going on an AOC a CASA FOI's will be wanting a business class trip to the training centre for an endorsement in an aircraft they struggle to keep right side up. But skydiving is private so not sure where it sits.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, other people might have an easier way just the way you could do it with my limited brain capacity.

My advice - buy a twin otter and i'll fly it back for you :ok:

PM me if you want more info

tail wheel
10th Apr 2011, 09:33
To compound the problem, the LET410 is an air transport category aircraft - 6,400 kg MTOW, requiring an approved system of maintenance. I think there was a specific PT6 powered model of the LET certified by the FAA, but not the Walter powered aircraft?

Keyland Aviation at Dalby were the LET agents and had a demonstrator tour Australia around 12 years ago. Keyland may be able to help you.

You would be a masochist thinking of going down the route of first of type certification in Australia.

Nice aircraft to fly in. Love the "front office wall clock" fitted to all LETs!! :O

GAFA
10th Apr 2011, 09:38
Abour 6 years ago there was one operated at Caloundra for skydiving,it was on some dodgey Africian rego. I think they had to bring someone out to do the endorsements. Give them a call, otherwise try Lester Niedeck at his flying school at Caloundra he has been there for years and should be able to help.

Skystar320
10th Apr 2011, 09:46
Absolute awesome of an aircraft in Africa. Could get in and out of the most dodgey strips in Africa!

A perfect robust of an aircraft even when you do see the engineers are seen to be hitting the aircraft with a nice hammer to fix one part and she flew beautifully.

Unfortunately, wrong type of aircraft for Australia... How bout a nice C208 / GA8 or even a DHC6

eocvictim
10th Apr 2011, 10:14
Why would you bother? It's a slower, less convenient, less powerful, slower climbing, less payload with less range Do228; which is already available in Australia and a proven work horse. Although the screechers may not like being started and shut down constantly though.

Wingman09
10th Apr 2011, 10:18
just get a 750 xl and save the drama!

VH-BCY
10th Apr 2011, 21:40
Thanks for the responses so far. There was a Let 410 on the Aussie register that was operated in the Antartic, however, I'm fully aware of the 'first on type' that CASA imposes. Nothing a few $$$ would not fix :{. The whole point of the exercise, is the fact these aircraft are available for a fraction of the cost of a Van, Twotter, XL etc and will be getting cheaper because of an EASA_AD_2008-0103_1 which limits them to only 9 pax but can be fully utilised for para ops. The AD costs $$$$ and includes putting new emergency exit doors under the wings. Also since GE has bought the Walter engine company, they have certified a newer version(H80) that uses less fuel, produces more power and have no calender time limit.
I think lk978 probably has the best idea, any META instructors want a LET 410 rating?:ok:
I will follow up on the other leads, cheers. :ok:

Clearedtoreenter
10th Apr 2011, 22:33
I think they use one for parachute ops in Sibson UK - cram them in at 15 quid a jump... Is that the idea?

Skydive Sibson re-launches as Skydive Airkix - Dropzone.com (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=683)

tail wheel
10th Apr 2011, 23:26
I can't Google that EASA AD, but if the aircraft is certified in Europe it may not be subject to first of type in Australia?

baron_beeza
11th Apr 2011, 01:26
http://www.ucl.cz/download/pdf_ads/2008/2008_0104_e.pdf (http://www.ucl.cz/download/pdf_ads/2008/2008_0103_e.pdf)

http://www.ucl.cz/download/pdf_ads/2008/2008_0103_e.pdf

It seems you have already done a little wise research.. I would be checking with CASA as early as though.
I have seen so many pilots go and buy aircraft without even bringing their engineers into the loop.

Importing any aircraft is a mission, so many traps... and most can be easily sidestepped.

Importing a more unusual type requires just that little extra effort,- and dollars.

baron_beeza
11th Apr 2011, 01:49
Like an Australian Type Certificate... It is a type Acceptance based on the foreign T.C.

It will be a very good start, provided you have exactly the same model.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/casadata/cota/download/a204.pdf

A Type Acceptance is part of the hurdle of importing a 'First of Type'. If it is still current and the CASA publication have been kept up to date then it is a major leap forward.

A good find.. :ok:

Kelly Slater
11th Apr 2011, 01:58
There are aircraft on the Australian register limited to 5700KG that are certified at higher weights in other countries. Perhaps keeping it at 5700KG would make things much easier, the loss of 700KG payload on an aircraft that carries no pax seats and very little fuel ight just be worth it, depending on how the maximum number of meat bombs carried is calculated.

VH-BCY
11th Apr 2011, 02:15
Thanks for the link BB. Yeah I have been doing quite a bit of research on them. Lukily, I own a maintenance shop and shouldn't be too difficult to get my Chief Engineer licensed on the Walters. There is already a type acceptance certificate for the UVP-E20 model. I did phone CASA and they would need to do the initial CoA @ $160/hour if its different than the UVP-E20 model:{. At least it will only need to be done once.
Back to the initial post, does anyone here in OZ have a Let 410 rating? Better still, any META instructors willing to get the rating to do subsequent check and training? Off course you will be paid for your time.:E

jimbo288
11th Apr 2011, 10:51
I have a Let 410 endorsment with about 500 on type but Lester Neideck is your best bet, he also holds a 410 endorsment and META.

petesevenseven
11th Apr 2011, 11:05
Your best bet is to contact Lets Fly in Ostrava Czech Republic LET'S FLY s.r.o. (http://www.letsfly.cz)

They do a very nice job there see if CASA will approve the training. They have a fully approved EASA sim and they do all the Touch and go's as well

I flew the let for over 7 years I have over 2500Hrs on type i used to be known amongst my mates as the let man!!!

PM me if you want any more details well see if i can help!!!

All the Best,

Pete

WillDAQ
11th Apr 2011, 11:35
I think they use one for parachute ops in Sibson UK - cram them in at 15 quid a jump... Is that the idea?

'tis indeed. Great to see a twin turbo prop in and out of a site that would scare off many spam can owners.

baron_beeza
11th Apr 2011, 22:56
Is anyone else impressed with this thread ?

It has remained positive, informative, and the comments have all been helpful.
The advice offered seems to have been informed and we have not been over-run by the wannabes and plainspotters that frequent this forum.

It deserves to have a happy ending...

Fris B. Fairing
12th Apr 2011, 05:37
plainspotters that frequent this forum.

You rang?

Hey Beez, when you are in your dotage and you start wondering whatever happened to all those aeroplanes you flew you'll probably need to ask a spotter, and he'll probably provide photos as well. So go easy on us, we can't all be plaindrivers you know. ;)

Rgds

Jetconrad
6th Mar 2012, 02:04
Hi, Have you progressed any further with the Let 410? I am also looking at the Let410 and may have answer to instructor delema.

LeadSled
6th Mar 2012, 12:46
Nothing a few $$$ would not fix

VH-BCY,
You speak in jest, of course?? Don't you??
Large volumes of cubic $$$$ ---- for an orphan, unless you buy three, one to fly, two for spares.
It doesn't matter how cheap they are, it will cost you in the long run.
And they are cheap in eastern Europe, could there be a message there somewhere.
Tootle pip!!