PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical - Needles

FlyingPhilA
9th Apr 2011, 20:22
Hi,

Does the class 1 medical require the Doctor to take blood? I'm not the biggest fan of needles and would just like to prepare my self in advance if there is.

I heard its only a finger prick, or is it taken from the arm?

Regards

Phil

CS-CCO
9th Apr 2011, 21:25
Prepare yourself for blood taken from your arm for Class 1 and every year for renewal.

obgraham
9th Apr 2011, 23:42
Phil:
Look here. Buck up.
Needles in the arm are a fact of life, and aren't going to go away.
That said, sure, some folks have a "thing" about them, usually from childhood experiences. Here's how to do it:
1. Set yourself down in a comfy seat.
2. Arm out on the table while the tech messes around for a spot. Concentrate on relaxing all the muscles in that arm.
3. As the time approaches, look somewhere else, not at the needle, and continue to forcibly relax all the muscles in that arm. Don't watch your blood issuing into the tube or syringe.
4. It's over before you know it.

763 jock
10th Apr 2011, 02:45
You do not need to give an armful on each medical. In the UK, a tiny finger prick (completely painless) for a very small droplet size sample at each renewal. At age 40, lipid profile when some blood is taken via needle. Again, only a very small amount.

Really no big deal.

Loose rivets
10th Apr 2011, 04:11
I used to imagine a needle so sharp it just used to push the molecules of my being to one side without harming them in any way.

gingernut
10th Apr 2011, 08:00
If you're just being a wet lettuce, the best advice is just get on with it.

If it;s a true phobia, which could affect your ability to gain a medical, try CBT.

There are some pricks in the medical process I'm afraid.

Horatio Leafblower
10th Apr 2011, 09:23
Lots of pricks in the flying game too Gingernuts! Something else we have in common with medicine... :E

Loose rivets
10th Apr 2011, 16:50
I've got a pilot mate that once keeled over as the needle approached. They said, 'don't worry, it's surprisingly common.'