PDA

View Full Version : Studying for type rating

scardycap
8th Apr 2011, 23:56
Hi all
Shortly about to embark on a type rating course for the 737 NG.
Have done a search but I'm after some suggestions on the best way to proceed. Found one post which was helpful but old.
As an older fellow with limited brain capacity is it worth trying to source some material first and start studying now? Do I buy flight sim and a 737ng add on and do some sim flying? I should add I fly a turbo prop so no jet experience
Any help much appreciatied:ok:

questil
9th Apr 2011, 01:22
hi ya, bit rushed for time pm me
cheers

PLovett
9th Apr 2011, 06:08
scardycap, first a disclaimer, I do not fly a 737NG or, in fact, any 737 but I have been working in flight simulator that accurately represents the flight characteristics of the NG with a fully functioning cockpit.

MS FlightSim does not accurately represent the flight characteristics of the aircraft, especially the inertia factor, and at the end of the day using that program will only assist you in finding your way around a computer keyboard. So many of the controls are pop-up windows that detract from knowing where to find them in reality.

Having to learn my way around the cockpit the biggest help was reading the Training Manual for the aircraft. A secondary source was the UK based 737 tech web site (I don't have the address with me at present but google etc) and I wound up purchasing their text book which was basically the web site in book form. Invaluable. Finally, there are several good books about on the 737 FMC which go into far more detail than you will initially need. Basically learning that was a bit of trial and error with some occasional help from more knowledgeable people.

I am in no way claiming I can fly a 737 but I am now far more knowledgeable about the systems and characteristics of the aircraft so that if anyone was to suffer a brain fart and offer me a job flying one I believe I would not disgrace myself.

legaleagle73
9th Apr 2011, 06:57
I think this is the site: The Boeing 737 Technical Site (http://www.b737.org.uk/)

Good luck!

C441
9th Apr 2011, 08:20
Have a look at smartcockpit (http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/boeing/B737/) too.

PLovett
16th Apr 2011, 00:16
scardycap, the smartcockpit recommendation is extremely good. Take a look at the links under the "my swissknife" tab. You will find a heap of reference books for the B737 listed there.