PDA

View Full Version : Flying after tumor surgery

Mike Litoris
8th Apr 2011, 11:31
Hi all

My doctor has today informed me that I have a large tumor (6 inch diameter) in my abdomen. I have yet to have a biopsy to find out if it is benign or malignant, that is due early next week.

Either way the tumor has to come out, but what I would like to know is has anyone out there been in a similar situation? and has it affected their flying? (either end of career, or any other flying bans etc).

Because of the seriousness of the operation (hospital 5-6 days) then rest for another 4-5 weeks, I assume that I will need a full clearance from my DAME before I can fly again. I would just like to know if my CPL is in jeopardy?

Cheers
ML

Capt Claret
8th Apr 2011, 11:40
Mike,

Anything over 7 days off sick requires a DAME's certification to return to work.

I don't know how relevant my situation was but I had my gall bladder (size of an adult fist) removed in early 2004. One month off for the stitches to heal properly (keyhole surgery) and my DAME certified me to return to work. :ok:

The Green Goblin
8th Apr 2011, 11:49
Mate, in all honesty dont worry about the flying! Your CPL should be the last thing on your mind.

Have the op, get into recovery mode, then worry about your flying when your health is under control.

Love the username!

Get better, and good luck!

Arnold E
8th Apr 2011, 12:59
Can only say that 14 years ago I had major surgery for bowel cancer (not even sure that's how its spelt). I have to say that CASA medical were very helpfull in getting me back in the air. Call them, and find out the requirements.:ok:

PS. CPL no problems.

Mike Litoris
8th Apr 2011, 22:21
Thanks to everyone for the advise and messages of encouragement, from everyone here, and those who also PM'ed me. Greatly appreciated.
I was panicking a bit about my flying (as well as the tumor), now I can rest easy on the flying issue, and concentrate on the task at hand and deal with this tumor.

Once again, thanks!!

ML :ok:

Mike Litoris
26th Apr 2011, 20:33
Well, the surgery ended up a bit bigger than anticipated.

After all was done, the surgeons removed not only the tumor, but also lost a kidney and my spleen (all up about the size of a good sized bbq chook!!).

Have yet to contact CASA, got a fair way to go before I fly again (the tumor was malignant, so I have to undergo chemo) but would like to know if anyone has had any career issues without these organs, or after chemo?

Cheers

easycompany
27th Apr 2011, 00:05
A friend of mine had his spleen taken out about 30 years ago, and this has had no impact on him keeping his medical.

Best of luck.

Bic4Pen
27th Apr 2011, 00:14
Mate of mine is a P3C driver in the RAAF despite losing his spleen while he was at ADFA.

I suspect your kidney might be a deal breaker though :(

Edited to add:

Always happy to be wrong in these matters! :}

From the CASA DAME Handbook
(http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/manuals/regulate/dame/080r0207.pdf)2.7.9 Single Kidney
If an applicant has a single kidney and this condition is developmental, renal function testing should be undertaken. If this is normal, aeromedical certification will be unaffected.

If an applicant has a single kidney due to nephrectomy, the cause of the
kidney’s removal must also be considered. If the underlying cause does not affect certification, then the same considerations of renal function testing and aeromedical disposition apply as for developmental variations.

ie: assuming the tumor is not now affecting your Class 1 medical, then you will be fine (once all the post-surgery etc is taken care of).

Good luck. Sounds like you have it licked :E

maverick22
27th Apr 2011, 01:11
Didn't Kerry Packer's pilot donate a kidney to him? So should be fine with one

VH-XXX
27th Apr 2011, 02:06
Mav, I suspect he was a private pilot on Class 2 medical....?

JCJ
27th Apr 2011, 06:30
I have donated a kidney, issued with a class one, no questions asked. They only want to know that your other kidney is taking the load and your function (measured with Creatinine) is within limits. Your remaining kidney will apparently increase in size by about 30% :ooh:.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment mate :ok:

Cheers

VH-XXX
27th Apr 2011, 08:45
Good on you JCJ. That is a really nice selfless gesture.

Mike Litoris
27th Apr 2011, 21:52
Once again thanks to everyone for the advise, experiences and PM's. It is sincerely greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

JCJ
27th Apr 2011, 23:05
XXX not sure about that, although it proved my theory that she only married me for my body......