PDA

View Full Version : Plane Seized In Drug Bust

Sunfish
7th Apr 2011, 23:38
Wouldn't be a Piper Cub, would it?

Police have seized a light plane and arrested 13 people as part of a multi-million-dollar drug bust.

Twenty five properties were raided across Victoria yesterday, mostly in Ballarat and Melbourne.

A joint taskforce of Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police has charged 13 people. Nine of them will appear in the Ballarat court today.

The raids were the culmination of a 15-month investigation that has netted assets of $4.5 million, including two houses, a light plane and luxury cars.

Yesterday police seized more than 2.5 kilograms of drugs, a stolen motorcycle, firearms and equipment to make counterfeit money.

They say the crime syndicate moved drugs throughout Australia.

Four of the men charged could face 25 years' jail.

Plane seized in multi-million-dollar drug bust - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/08/3185754.htm?section=justin)

MikeTangoEcho
7th Apr 2011, 23:42
Good to see the light plane got mentioned before the drugs :D

Reminds me of a few years ago when some guys got caught smuggling/transporting drugs into Jandakot..

VH-XXX
8th Apr 2011, 00:45
What makes you say it was a Piper Cub?

I heard it was a Cessna. All aircraft in the news are Cessna's these days.

polair911
8th Apr 2011, 00:54
What makes you say it was a Piper Cub?

I heard it was a Cessna. All aircraft in the news are Cessna's these day.

:D:D:D:D:D

eg: Cessna Warrior or a Piper C172?? :cool:

Howard Hughes
8th Apr 2011, 00:54
Sunny must have some inside info!;)

PS: Light aircraft have always been called Cessnas in the media...:ok:

Jabawocky
8th Apr 2011, 01:11
Inside Info huh

maybe that is why Sunny has binned his plane construction.....they won't let him take the tools inside :suspect:

J:E

PA39
8th Apr 2011, 01:17
Now its a ......CRI CRI !! :eek:

VH-XXX
8th Apr 2011, 01:31
How about hypothetically (hopefully this doesn't get locked), if you were going to use an aircraft to transport some kind of contraban, what would it be?

Let's say Abalone - SuperCub with Tundra tyres. Land almost anywhere the police chopper can. Actually you'd just buy a chopper wouldn't you.

Drugs. RV10? *Moderately* fast, inconspicuous and usually driven by retirees, so therefore low profile and unlikely to be noticed. Good payload.

CriCri. Small and almost undetectable by radar. Small payload. Hard to find pilots brave enough.

poteroo
8th Apr 2011, 08:43
The 'light plane', probable value $60k, ranks ahead of the Maserati or Lamborghini - probable value $300k each.

Don't you just love the prioritisation than a degree in journalism endows upon the 4th estate ?

happy days,

b_sta
8th Apr 2011, 09:06
How about hypothetically (hopefully this doesn't get locked), if you were going to use an aircraft to transport some kind of contraban, what would it be?

Wouldn't you - hypothetically - want the most inconspicuous aircraft around? A common training aircraft like a Warrior or a 152?

baron_beeza
8th Apr 2011, 09:15
Yep, make it a Piper Cherokee or similar, it would be reported by the police and media as a Cessna. You would never be found.

I can recall a detective case some years ago in Africa, the British police arrived and were searching high and low for a Pajero. It was a week or so before they realised that in Kenya all 4WD SUV vehicles are referred to as Pajero.

:ugh:

multime
8th Apr 2011, 13:32
Was offered a C210. And yes my own !! Freehold a few years ago.
A few light packages Adelaide, Alice, Kunnunurra. Plus $ 5000 a week. Thats really tempting when your living in sh*t. Sorry ! dosen,t make up for dropping that soap. !
M

8th Apr 2011, 23:36
Probably one of those Cessna Learjets.

It would be the ideal aircraft as in 40 years in the aviation industry, I have not seen one.

But the media seem to find them a lot and Google certainly know about them.

Mr. Hat
9th Apr 2011, 01:34
If its a light aircraft its a Cessna all other aircraft are Jumbos. Anything thats not a cessna is Qanats.

Hard to find pilots brave enough.Easy to find them poor enough.

gassed budgie
9th Apr 2011, 13:08
A Bonanza I believe (an early one), stored in the hangar at the end of the line at YMEN.

haiqu
13th Apr 2011, 15:06
I'd use a Warrior rented from RVAC, no suspicion at all.

Certainly not a Cri Cri, only Kiwis are allowed to fly those.

Dangnammit
13th Apr 2011, 22:36
How did MULTIME get offered such a charter job? :}

Around here, 'mul' is slang for something..... :E

Aerodynamisist
13th Apr 2011, 22:47
Can anyone remember the callsign of the Jandakot, I remember seeing it in the paper, aztruck

ssssssss
16th Apr 2011, 04:30
Does anybody know the rego of the Bonanza?

PA39
16th Apr 2011, 06:15
VH-POT or VH-XTC.....sorry :oh: