PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Stampe SV-4

rjtjrt
3rd Apr 2011, 02:24
Any ideas as what to watch out for if buying a Stampe SV-4.
I understand there is an issue re Tie rods.
Anything that will help me avoid unforseen pitfalls. I am getting an engineer familiar with Chipmunks and Tiger Moth to look at it, but he hasn't dealt with Stampe before. The knowledge base amoungst engineers is limited.
Any information from the knowledgeable folk who have bought/owned would be appreciated.
John

sycamore
3rd Apr 2011, 10:00
Try `www.tigerclub.co.uk`,as they`ve operated them for hundreds of years.tel(0)1622 891 017. Seem to recall oil soaked fuselage and fin-post probs. Their engineers should be able to give you a rundown of SBs and ADs.
Another one is the LAA as they look after Permit a/c.
Nice a/c to fly,better than a Tiger for aeros,but keep them `gentlemanly`.

Tail-take-off
3rd Apr 2011, 10:25
Having owned an SV4C many years ago I would avoid the Renault engined ones. I know some.people operate the Renault with very few problems but they are certainly more.troublesome than the gypsies.

Tie rods were lifed at 500 hours so not changed all that frequently.

The best person to advise you is Andy McLuskie at Little Gransden. He has done a.number of rebuilds over the years.

PilotWeb (http://www.pilotweb.aero/content/pilotlist/view_pilot.aspx?id=630)

rjtjrt
3rd Apr 2011, 10:48
TTO
There are 2 available that I am looking at.
One is Renault powered. The other is a Lycoming conversion.
I was initially tempted by the lycoming but the Renault aircraft looks nicer.
How bad is the Renault to operate?
John

Tail-take-off
3rd Apr 2011, 18:00
The Renault is not a common engine in the uk. Spares & expertise are hard to find & they're not getting any younger!

read this http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/72599-bucker-jungman-vs-stampe.html

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Apr 2011, 21:10
I have some 450 hours in the Tiger (usually ACDC) and about 150 in the Stampe,(Hi!) including EF, and the man with the name knows what he is talking about. However, I believe the Renault engined Stampe was a Belgian variant. We had one at Biggin Hill for a time and I liked it. However, 'Stampe' the Tiger was a bitch to some guys but that was always usually because it had to FLOWN. The Stampe is a lot more forgiving. I was a check pilot at the TC for about 8 years and the transition from the Tiger to the Stampe was by and large a very simple one - but not the other way round.

Aeros in the Stampe were a delight. In the Tiger they were hard work but both had good spin qualities but when rolling - the Tiger was not so good.

As for maintenance I recall one of the Stampe's had an oil soaked main spar that was quite worrying but I have no idea what was done, and I can't remember whether it was TKC or WEF. But they did get very oily. As for engines the Gypsy was the best for me and when I was displaying I used OBX, which had a 10c. That changed everything.

Flying Lawyer
7th Apr 2011, 07:22
PPP
I believe the Renault engined Stampe was a Belgian variant
Spoken like a true patriotic Brit. :ok:;)

The (Belgian) manufacturer used a Renault engine in the first model, the SV.4A.
They changed to the Gipsy Major I for the SV.4B. (Post-war, they used the Gipsy Major X for the trainers they supplied to the Belgian Air Force.)
The SV.4C was licence-built in France and Algeria and had a Renault engine. The two companies produced about 1000 aircraft.

Agree with you about the Tiger - relatively easy to fly, but difficult to fly well. I never got to that stage. After being checked out in ACDC I moved to the Stampe fairly quickly and hardly ever flew the Tiger again. Your mention of AWEF brings back happy memories - a joy to fly. :)

Tudor

Genghis the Engineer
7th Apr 2011, 07:55
I think that you might get more and more-informed answers on the Private Flying forum.

G

rjtjrt
7th Apr 2011, 11:24
Thanks for all the info so far. I contacted Andy McCluskie as well as some locals.
Hoping more info still to come.
I will try Private Flying are as well - will post on the old thread to possibly reactivate it.
John
PS I just saw old thread on Private Flying is closed so will start a new one.

PPRuNe Pop
7th Apr 2011, 16:07
rjtjrt,

No need for another thread. We generally do not allow two threads on the same subject running. But I will copy this to Priavte Flying.

PPP

rjtjrt
8th Feb 2014, 01:49
Another Stampe question for all you knowledgeable folk.
First a brief update. Purchased the Renault one, transported to Aust, and swap the Renault for a Gipsy 10/2.
Not far off first flight, but delayed by paperwork.
When all finished, Iw ill ferry her about 1000km to new home.
I was wondering if there is anywhere onboard to store a few items for the ferry flight? Thinking of tie down with hammer, and toothbrush and limited change of clothes.
I am said 1000km from machine, so can't look for myself.
John

India Four Two
8th Feb 2014, 03:24
If you are flying solo, a backpack, carefully strapped in to the front seat would do.

rjtjrt
8th Feb 2014, 03:26
I42
Thanks, but trying to plan it with a friend in front seat if possible.
Probably take 2-3 days if we can.
John

djpil
8th Feb 2014, 03:39
Manual online here N.C.E. 52 Notice technique pour avions Stampe SV-4C et SV-4B (http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/belgium/stampevertongen/sv4/nce-52-notice-technique-pour-avions-stampe-sv-4c-et-sv-4b.html) not many pictures and my French is too rusty but I'd guess you might find your answer here.

Was that your Stampe that passed through Moorabbin a while back with a Chipmunk in a box?

rjtjrt
8th Feb 2014, 05:49
Dave
Thanks for the link.
Yes, that was/is the aircraft, together with the Chipmunk.

John

rjtjrt
8th Feb 2014, 07:27
Another question, which Pilot Notes do people use?

Sir George Cayley
8th Feb 2014, 11:04
Any chance of some photos?

Of the Chipmunk:ok:

I know, I know Goggles, Irvin door:)

SGC

Jan Olieslagers
8th Feb 2014, 17:53
No greater authority about SV4's than mr. Raymond of Raymond's Aircraft Restoration (http://www.rar.be) ; his workshop is actually at, or very near, the place of the original Stampe & Vertongen factory!
As you can see from his site, fitting a Lycoming is not impossible, though it will tear many hearts apart, including mine and probably his.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
8th Feb 2014, 18:01
There used to be Lycoming-engined one at Barton. Just not the same!

rjtjrt
10th Feb 2014, 04:38
Jan
Thanks for the information.
I have previously emailed Raymond but did not receive a reply. I did apologise for writing in English, but he did not respond.
Maybe busy, or not into email, or not interested in overseas enquiry. A pity as I was also thinking about getting a set of new wings made, but have now got this locally.
John

rjtjrt
10th Feb 2014, 04:39
Sir George
I have trouble with posting photo - for some reason Imageshack won't work for me today. Looking into it.

TEAL61
31st Oct 2016, 05:44
Hi all,
A revised TCDS BCAA.A.02 issue 01 30-9-16 has been raised for the type by the Belgian CAA. The French DGAC FdeN No6 covers French built aircraft.
The french aircraft are regarded as orphan aircraft refer DGAC Bulletin D'Information BI-NAG2007/07 Rev 3 9-12-2011.
The referenced Operational & Flight Manual for the SV4B is " Pilots Notes SV 4B (EPE-EVS):)
Stampe SVF4B's being imported into Australia may be issued with a Standard CofA Normal & Acrobatic category under CASR 21.184(4) if they qualify by pre 1998 model acceptance or Cof A, or they can be flown with a Limited category CofA

Sam Rutherford
31st Oct 2016, 06:26
This was done for the Belgian team on the VintageAirRally - so we could get permits etc. If you want more help/information please get in touch (I can also connect you with Raymond very easily as he did all the prep work on the same plane).

Cheers, Sam.

Croqueteer
31st Oct 2016, 09:06
If you haven't changed your engine yet, I would suggest keeping the Renault, as it is a smoother and more economical engine that the Gipsy. You can always change in the future if needed. The airstart system is good if kept maintained. One thing about the Renault, in 0 g situations you can get a rich cut as the needle valve in the carb needs either positive or negative g to work. Have fun, super aeroplane and a genuine two seat aerobatic machine.

rjtjrt
31st Oct 2016, 09:09
Croqueteer
Thanks for the advice.
Too late I'm afraid. Gipsy already installed.

Sam
Thanks for the offer.
I have found a contact here in Australia who has been in contact with Raymond.
Raymond is well regarded here as well.