PDA

View Full Version : Kilimanjaro Airport

ianjlloyd
6th Apr 2011, 15:45
I've just returned from an (unfortunately) working trip to Tanzania. Two excellent flights with KLM to Kilimanjaro with on time arrivals in spite of diverting from the normal route over Libya.

Going in to the country was a simple matter of handing over $50 for a visa which was stamped after a cursory human examination of my passport. Coming back was a bit chaotic. The emigration desks had what where obviously fingerprint checking machines which I certainly struggled to use. Having a mallet finger did not help.

What puzzles me is what the devices were about? I have an oldish UK passport (issued in 2005). As far as I know, it does not hold any fingerprint data. As far as I know also , I have no criminal record and my fingerprints are not on record anywhere. I'm really struggling to work out what the system is trying to achieve. My sense was that the emigration officer was only a little more clued up about the system than I was.

I've absolutely no complaints about the individual involved. As with most Tanzanian's he was friendly and courteous, but would appreciate any advice/comments about what these systems are trying to achieve - other than causing further delays at airports.