PDA

View Full Version : Are pilots on antidepressants getting hired?

DVR2PLT
4th Apr 2011, 21:17
For those of you in this situation. Do you feel that having an SI medical is hurting your job opportunities? Or is that not an issue with most employers? Thanks for your response.

exeng
5th Apr 2011, 00:10
I suspect that being on anti-depressants may put off an airline employing you. One has to consider the fact that the majority of Pilot applicants do not (or do not declare the fact) that they are suffering from depression.

I am not, nor have ever been in this situation, but knowing airlines, having been in their employ for for 43 or so years I think this is the situation.

I wish you luck.

P.S. Slightly 'tongue in cheek' I would also have to say that any brand new unemployed wanabe F/O who has just spent around £80.000 in order to get a licence and type rating would have to be depressed when he is considering job prospects.

Robot1
5th Apr 2011, 10:35
Hi

To OP, I know SSRI's are permitted while flying in the US. However I wouldn't be considering a career in Europe as they are still on the 'banned' list there, so you wouldn't even get a foot in the door. I'm an ATCO in Europe and haven't to be able to work for the past three years.

If I was your potential employer I'd see you as a good bet from the outset. Honesty about such a condition shows the integrity and professionalism so vital to a pilot's role.

Wishing you all the best

fabbe92
5th Apr 2011, 15:13
exeng, do you mean that depression is common within the profession?:ooh: