PDA

View Full Version : question about alcohol

major_tom
3rd Apr 2011, 07:47
Hi guys,

Quick question about alcohol and its regulations; CAR 1988 Reg256 states that no alcohol must be consumed within 8hours prior to a flight. However the CASR 1998 says that the limit is 0.02

Does this mean that between the period of 1988 and 1998 there was no legal definition to the maximum BAC for a pilot?

apologies for sounding like a n00b.
cheers :)

The Kelpie
3rd Apr 2011, 07:59
Major Tom

Correct!!

major_tom
3rd Apr 2011, 08:05
... and i didnt even have to 'phone a friend' or 'ask the audience'.... just ask pprune. Thanks Kelpie

Joker 10
3rd Apr 2011, 09:53
Actually a difficult question, on its face no defition, reality is definition not prescriptive.

So why do we even care ??? somehow we need a base line from which to measure so 60"s come into play

FRQ Charlie Bravo
3rd Apr 2011, 11:01
Maj Tom,

It's even better than that, part 99 of CASR 1998 which introduced the .02 limit did not actually become law until Sept 2008! And even then is was advertised in such a manner as to make the general public (in front of whom we are meant to parade CASA's safety material) think that we could have a bit of a tipple on our way to work as long as we didn't bust the figure in massive font.

This is, of course, the buffer we are given just in case we have had a few too many but still stopped 8 hours before flying and are not 'suffering the effect' of our consumption.

Stupid stupid educational material.

FRQ CB

Shell Management
3rd Apr 2011, 11:19
A 10 year delay!
Disgraceful.

And yes, 0.2 is simply a margin for natural alcohol levels not a boozing allowance.

neville_nobody
3rd Apr 2011, 13:42
No the .02 is because the breathlyser cannot accurately measure a lower figure. They wanted to make it zero but the technology isn't capable. I imagine you would have to blood test everyone to get an accurate zero figure which obviously isn't practical in terms of screening high numbers of people.

Either way the whole thing is a waste of time. How many convictions of airline pilots are we up to with this program?

More taxpayers money well spent.

Capn Bloggs
3rd Apr 2011, 13:45
NN, might be a waste of time but I have detected a subtle deterrent... I'm too old for that sort of thing but the youngees might now think twice. Gotta be sober to ensure pushing of the right buttons. :E

major_tom
4th Apr 2011, 03:52
thanks Charlie-Bravo. Sure cleared it up for me :ok:

In the USA its 0.04, you guys wouldnt happen to know how long that law has been around for?

VH-XXX
4th Apr 2011, 05:15
Last Oshkosh I sat next to an AA captain on the crew bus from LAX Marriott. I think he would have blown .4 ! Suspect he was confused with .04. Probably should have said something, but it wasn't really my place at the time :-)

FourBalls
5th Apr 2011, 10:28
geez and here was I thinking 0.2 was the minimum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoJqf9-Wk0

(been done before before I know)