PDA

View Full Version : Budapest <> London?

Mark in CA
1st Apr 2011, 08:26
It's looking like I'll need to travel (return) from Budapest to Cambridge, UK in the near future. The client is offering private limo service between London and Cambridge.

Any recommendations on carriers/service between these points? Not necessarily looking for the cheapest flights, but cost is a factor. I assume there is better service from BUD to London than Cambridge. Also, does flying on a Saturday usually result in a lower fare (as in the U.S.)?

Betty girl
1st Apr 2011, 10:20
I'd recommend British Airways but I do work for them, so you might feel that I am biased!
Saturday departures are often cheaper and the price on BA includes a baggage allowance, complimentary bar service and a complimentary sandwich on the Budapest flights plus pre allocated seating; all of these things are often charged for as extra on low cost airlines. There are also many choices of departure times to and from Budapest out of Heathrow which is an relatively easy journey from Cambridge.

Hope that helps.

Although I work for BA, I do not speak on their behalf.

gr8tballsoffire
1st Apr 2011, 10:37
Mark in CA

I agree with Betty Girl (I am also biased).

I travel this route on a regular basis and there is in fact no alternative to BA if you are travelling to Cambridge via Heathrow.

Alternatives are Malev to Gatwick, and some low cost carriiers operating to Stanstead/Luton.

If you'd like more info on Budapest please feel free to PM me.

Anansis
2nd Apr 2011, 10:18
I've found that theres rarely much difference in price between the legacy and the low cost carriers on this route so it's usually worth paying a little bit extra for the luxuries Bettygirl talks of. BA may be the only airline to fly directly from Budapest to Heathrow but I've done this route with Lufthansa, Swiss and KLM connecting through their respective bases and found it to be a pretty straightforward experience. The security queues at Budapest have been horrific recently so make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare.

If you're new to Europe you might want to consider flying to/from Vienna or Bratislava. Both are within two hours of Budapest and are beautiful cities to visit if you get the chance.

AlpineSkier
2nd Apr 2011, 11:01
Don't know if it is at all important to youi but Stansted Airport is 30 miles ( all motorway )from Cambridge and Heathrow is 90 miles ( nearly all motorway )

Hartington
2nd Apr 2011, 17:30
Heathrow is west of London, Gatwick south of London, Luton north west of London and Stansted north east of London. Cambridge is north east of London and the main road and one of the rail lines from London to Cambridge both run close to Stansted. Thus the nearest (London) airport is Stansted. Unfortunately, I can't see an easy way of getting there from Budapest.

Luton and Gatwick are served by easyJet and you need to be a bit careful to make sure you understand all their rules and the charges you will pay if you fail to abide by them. Also, even if you have a car, Luton to Cambridge is not an ideal road journey and train will involve a bus to the station, train into London Euston then one underground stop or a not very long walk to Kings X and another train to Cambridge. Surprisingly, Gatwick may be a good public transport bet because you can take a train from Gatwick to St Pancras which is right next door to Kings X where you can get another train to Cambridge. Heathrow and BA do sound tempting but try and schedule your journey by road to avoid 0600-0930 and 1530-1930 because the road route can get very clogged during those times. The alternative is train into Paddington, Underground (5 stops) to Kings X and another train to Cambridge.

The other alternative is to use KLM via Amsterdam to Norwich. The road from Norwich to Cambridge isn't wonderful but it's not usually a major problem. To get a train you'd take the bus into Norwich and then you might have to change trains at Ely as well.

As for days of the week I reckon Europe is often ahead of the US in that regard these days and Saturday isn't usually required to get the lower fares.