PDA

View Full Version : Journalism and aviation

baron_beeza
1st Apr 2011, 08:04
I have just removed my ramblings from a recent thread...

Unfortunately it was on yet another accident in our industry.

I am sure the topic has been covered before and apologies for not doing a search.
Yes, I am too lazy to... but more importantly so will those that this thread is directed at. News has a shelf life of 2 days.

A good journalist uses a reliable eyewitness to piece together an account of an incident so the rest of us can be informed.
I cannot think of any journalistic effort even getting close, - even more so if eye witness versions are supposedly used.

In my experience most reports in Newspapers and TV would be about 50% truthful at best. Much is inaccurate, fabrication, sensationalism or just lack of any common sense or knowledge.

The media would be well advised to have access to someone who can advise, and hopefully remove some of the errors before it goes to Press.

Some papers would be just as well out of the game, we are getting close to reports of crocodiles flying about in UFO's on Student licences...
and no, I don't buy the local rag supposedly

getting reliable facts into the public domain
of a certain northern Aussie capital.

Flight international and Aviation Week are ok, many of the reporting in other print media is rubbish.

50% is a failing grade to many.....

Bad journos just get away with it..... think how they would fare in a regulated environment where they were subject to regular re-examination, scrutinised and then castigated by all for any errors they made.
They know J***S*** about anything aviation related.

Let the truth prevail..

( this is not the thread to be having this discussion, - it is not the place for dirt diggers either)

Another sad day for aviation, condolences to all involved

beat ups are fun
1st Apr 2011, 12:48
The NT news is always looking for a story other than crocs. I had an incident up that way once and in the morning paper they were saying that the ATSB were investigating the incident. I hadn't even started to write my report! To busy at the pub counting my lucky stars to care.

There are always going to be bad jurnos there's nothing we can do about it. Hopefully we can credit Mr. and Mrs. Citizen with enough intelligence to sort the truth from the BS.

das Uber Soldat
2nd Apr 2011, 03:03
Journalists are failed writers with a god complex. They should be put into a cannon and fired into space.

baron_beeza
2nd Apr 2011, 03:32
How about this classic, it is about UFOs ( I think)..

Is it a UFO... or a Yak? | News | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/07/26/4808_ntnews.html)
that the aircraft most likely to be confused with a UFO is the Russian built Sigma-4 ultralight, affectionately known as the 'flying sperm'.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2008/07/25/3_Yak.jpg

Of course the astute readers will not notice how lazy the research team has been, they did find a photo of a Russian aircraft at least.

And naturally it could easily be mistaken for a UFO, or flying sperm for that matter. The guy at the flying club must have wondered why he wasted his breath on the reporter.

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=9498