PDA

View Full Version : BA Managed path

JliderPilot
31st Mar 2011, 20:36
Just heard that this is opening up again, does anyone have a link to the new GAI 1028 AL4? Is it ture that those on a PVR are not eligible?

binsleepen
31st Mar 2011, 20:54
Its not opening up it has opened up. See here

BA Recruitment (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/tpl_ba01.asp?s=pyAxDIfSqHTyVvHqn&jobid=34103,9834343446&key=27019390&c=583477456182&pagestamp=sehddyogxijjjsgxfu)

Regards

StopStart
1st Apr 2011, 00:12
AL1 is on the RAF website and that doesn't specify any restriction on those departing on PVR terms. I'd be interested to see the latest AL though and if a PVR limitation has been introduced. As I'm on PAS it's the only way out for me but I don't want to cock up my BA app but not checking all the info thoroughly....
:ok:

RAFEngO74to09
1st Apr 2011, 04:02
Good luck to those applying. At least you won't have any trouble answering this question on the application !

"Give an example of when you have been involved in a major change in the work environment. How did you adapt to this and what did you learn?"

Farfrompuken
1st Apr 2011, 06:34
SS and JP,

Pvr does exclude you from Managed Path. Unless you've PVRd before 22 Mar 11.

BA won't process your app if you aren't fully qualified to take use of the MP scheme.

SammySu
1st Apr 2011, 08:29
Which is bad news for all those spec aircrew(PA or FTC(A)) or any RN pilot on a full term commission - that's a lot, who don't have any exit points. The ONLY way to leave from an FTC is by PVR prior to age 50.

That'll be all the RN Harrier pilots screwed again then. Better be a good redundancy announcement on Monday.

I wonder if BA realise the number of people this no pvr rule will exclude?

getsometimein
1st Apr 2011, 08:36
Hooray for having over 2000 hours, boo for non of them being as a pilot :P

newt
1st Apr 2011, 10:30
Might I suggest that anyone considering joining BA talks to someone who has recently joined. I feel sure it is not the inspiring workplace it used to be! You only have to view the cabin crew forum to get some idea of what an unhappy workplace it can be!

And thats before you consider longhaul flying up to 900 hours a year to age 60 and beyond!

Just a word of caution to all those who view BA as the be all and end all.:ok:

Foghorn Leghorn
1st Apr 2011, 10:39
Its not just RN pilots getting screwed, as a number of RAF pilots would also like to apply but can't because they would have to PVR.

MrBernoulli
1st Apr 2011, 11:59
Might I suggest that anyone considering joining BA talks to someone who has recently joined. I feel sure it is not the inspiring workplace it used to be!Maybe so, newt, but the RAF is certainly a ghost of it's former self and "not the inspiring workplace it used to be" either. Having done a full PC in the RAF, and now in BA, I know where I'd rather be right now.

Yes, the cabin crew have been a problem, but the pilots don't allow that to make their lives unhappy. The legacy cabin crew have had a showdown coming for a long time, it's arrived, and now they are paying for it. C'est la vie! The newly recruited cabin crew are an altogether different bunch. :ok:

LFFC
1st Apr 2011, 12:21
I wonder if BA realise the number of people this no pvr rule will exclude?

I suspect not, but I bet the Strategic Manning office do!

But don’t despair; a lot of other airlines are about ready to open their doors to experienced pilots.

Easy Street
1st Apr 2011, 12:24
Their Q1 is going to be quite difficult to answer....

What are the behaviours that demonstrate your motivation and commitment to your current service employer?

Presumably the act of applying means that you're not committed to your current service employer?!

bowly
1st Apr 2011, 13:25
Might I suggest that anyone considering joining BA talks to someone who has recently joined. I feel sure it is not the inspiring workplace it used to be! You only have to view the cabin crew forum to get some idea of what an unhappy workplace it can be!

Do you know it is not inspiring or are you guessing? I joined before the recruitment freeze and can honestly say that in the years I've been gone, I have not had one pang to return to the RAF or to try any other airline. I have the best T's and C's in the country and fly to all the best destinations.

Times certainly change and BA might not be what it used to be 15 years ago, but it's a damn sight better than anything else out there (and sadly, that includes the RAF).

newt
1st Apr 2011, 16:50
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it bowly.

I did 15 years with BA after the RAF and did not find it such a rewarding experience! I must add that aviation as a whole is not what it used to be, whatever job you are in. Its a fact of life I'm afraid.:ok:

bowly
1st Apr 2011, 17:04
Newt,

Fair enough. I'm surprised that you didn't enjoy it though? I agree that aviation is not what it used to be but if you're in aviation at the moment, BA is a better place than any other. As for the Cabin Crew.........don't start ;)

JliderPilot
2nd Apr 2011, 01:51
Stoppers,

Now that I have seen AL4 of the GAI, it has some sutble gotcha's that might prevent post 16/38pt PA types from using the managed path. I don't see how they are going to police this though, are BA going to verify each applicant with Manning? Rather than offer selection / employment to the highly qualified, experienced and motivated individual?

To be fair the airlines offer reasonably good pay and conditions but the job can become boring very quickly. That is an informed opinion from the friends I have in BA, Virgin, Easy and BMI. The only reason I would consider leaving military aviation is to take a break from the constant deployment to the desert. The flying that we do can be a lot more interesting than crossing the atlantic 3-4 times a month with an over unionized crew of militants.;)

Interesting to see that redundancy make you eligible for the scheme. Will there be some pilot's included in the next tranche?

"Those pilots who make early departures introduce manning difficulties and generate additional costs in training replacements." IMO that sentence is a poor choice of words, not very motivating for the troops.

wiggy
2nd Apr 2011, 02:58
JliderPilot

The flying that we do can be a lot more interesting than crossing the atlantic 3-4 times a month with an over unionized crew of militants.

Frankly it's whatever floats your boat/different strokes for different folks...or don't knock it until you've personally tried both "schools".

I can guarantee you that flying a Canarsie approach into JFK, in a heavy, on a ****te night, or any approach into MEX on a good day can be a lot more interesting than some of the stuff I did on the F-4.

As for the cabin crew, they may be over unionised but as individuals some of them are very good company both on and off the aeroplane :ok:.

brit bus driver
2nd Apr 2011, 23:38
Another BA convert I'm afraid. Less interesting flying? Absolutely, though every day is still different and at least I'm flying, not sitting behind a desk in High Wycombe, MOD, Kandahar, MPA or wherever. The plus side is that my kids know when I'm going to be at home (volcanoes/snow storms excepted) but if I choose not to be at home they are paying me overtime at about £200 a day (BA, not the kids) and they get a really comfy seat to go on holiday in (subject to availability of course).

but the job can become boring very quickly

Unlike the C17/TriStar fleets flying the same route to the sandpit, day in, day out, then having to go cap in hand to DTMA for a route trainer just to keep guys proficient in operating into somewhere other than BZZ/KAF/AKT.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Hueymeister
4th Apr 2011, 18:49
Couldn't find the GAI on the intranet...where is it?

How do I sign up for RAFCARs?

JliderPilot
4th Apr 2011, 22:07
If you need the GAI PM me your email. I have it on good authority that if you PVR and try and apply to BA through this scheme, BA contact manning to confirm eligibility and terminate your application. Good Luck

Farfrompuken
4th Apr 2011, 22:23
JP,

Thats correct. They will check with manning and throw out your application if you don't qualify.

StopStart
4th Apr 2011, 22:32
Think I need to speak someone at BA on this one... Does rather disadvantage those of us on PAS but I guess it's their trainset :8
I know the 744 fleet need X number of pilots by the end of the year and that they are struggling to find TR'd folk - Managed Path isn't going to supply lots of people straight away so hopefully BA recruiting will open their doors a little wider....

Farfrompuken
4th Apr 2011, 23:14
Stoppers,

check your PMs

Redcarpet
4th Apr 2011, 23:22
Farfrom, Check yours.

Nibbled2DeathByDucks
5th Apr 2011, 12:06
And signing that PAS paperwork seemed such a good idea at the time!! :ugh:

Al-Berr
6th Apr 2011, 13:06
Does anybody know if the 12 year option point counts as a recognised leaving point and makes you eligible for managed path, or is it an early termination point?

Thanks

Inside Out
7th Apr 2011, 16:27
Any chance someone could PM me the bits of GAI 1028 that are appropriate to eligibility to BA's Managed Path? Thanks.

Black 'n Yellar
7th Apr 2011, 19:52
Inside Out, check PMs

Farfrompuken
7th Apr 2011, 20:00
Al-Berr,

12 Year point is recognised as an Early Termination point and isn't compatible with Managed Path.

Al-Berr
7th Apr 2011, 21:27
Thanks, thought as much.:( Come on Virgin app!!

charlies angel
7th Apr 2011, 22:05
Guys if I may comment as someone outside looking in who was inside looking out.
This is a fantastically rare scheme that really does only come up once in a blue moon.
BA are desperate for bodies right now.Dont accept that the door is shut for you due to the wording of the scheme.
Bug your deskie, go above his head, personally ring someone in BA HR or management and get answers from the horses mouth.
There will be so few of you eligible that BA will easily have the resources to hand sift your application and progress it.
Civvy world in many ways is not as rigid in its procedures as the Mil and if a dozen or so slightly iffy apps find their way to the right person in BA and you can start work 3 weeks on Tuesday you'll all be a shoe in.
Think about it.There may not be another of these opportunities for non qualified DEP for another 15 years.
Dont let the REMF's grind you down on this:O
PRESS!!

JliderPilot
7th Apr 2011, 23:10
C.A. Great point you just made. I was successful at the last BA recruitment drive but as we all know the pool was drained and no jobs were created. I cannot see BA turning down good candidates that are ready and willing to start. The only thing being that they did not exit on the RAF's (restrictive) terms. Manning need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Now how to go about getting your application in? Any ideas anyone? If you use the managed path route through the BA site, it might well kick you out as you have to agree that you are eligible.

Redcarpet
8th Apr 2011, 06:18
C.A, I believe that deskies have been bugged and arguments been had with manning. They are not budging, but BA are only recruiting TR DEPs AT THE MOMENT. I would be very surprised if, due to their requirement to find 200 pilots/year, the TR requirement was not lifted in the next few months. This would open up the door for PVRs. :eek:

charlies angel
8th Apr 2011, 09:09
JP and Redcarpet.

Sounds a bit of a "soundbite" policy by the MOD then if the entry criteria is so narrow.

BA seems to have had one round of recruitment for TR'ed people and didn't get enough quality applicants.They'll probably have to go round that buoy again and that will probably mean they'll have to look at managed path again.

I suspect if enough people press their noses to the window and make enough noise BA will see sense and widen the entry criteria.

If you've not passed with BA its a minimum of one year before reapplying.
So guys in this current recruitment phase who failed cant reapply till the new year at least.

This gives BA and MOD about 8-12 months to come up with another cunning plan!

Best of luck to all.

time2leave
8th Apr 2011, 12:30
Well here's the rub ...
If you applied and got through to the managed path to the hold pool you HAD to leave the service to be eligible for any offer.

If no offer came and say the Hold Pool was disbanded due to the economic climate then you are ineligible for the current campaign as you are no longer serving.

BUT if you signed on to PAS, anticipating the worst, you would need to PVR to get out and also be ineligible for the current scheme
:ugh:

Wander00
8th Apr 2011, 13:02
Does that make it the "mis-managed path"?

StopStart
8th Apr 2011, 14:17
I thought the idea of Managed Path was that it was aimed at those who were leaving at their 16/38 point. You were leaving the RAF anyway (eg. no PAS offer) so MP either got you a job (happy days) or it didn't (ho hum). Either way you had to leave the RAF as they no longer had a job for you there.... There is no Catch 22 about it - if you're staying in you take the PAS offer. If you're leaving you take MP and hope that a) oil doesn't rocket $200 a barrel or b) the BA cabin crew don't bring the company down in the meantime.... :hmm:

time2leave
8th Apr 2011, 14:50
Sorry to correct

There was an offer from manning of PA as my trade was and still is in shortfall of experienced instructors.

I contacted them to see of there was a way of remaining in services and helping fill a manning void whilst the economic circumstances improved.

The answer was no you can only stay until 55 or nothing else, no matter what the benefit to the service

So the catch 22 is there:stay and help the service out but you but have to render yourself ineligible for a scheme that you have successfully pased.

StopStart
9th Apr 2011, 00:06
Manning are never going to offer an extension of service at the 16/38 point. They'd rather you took PAS which is win-win for them - they keep an instructor whilst at the same time making it harder for you to get out.

The way the RAF see it is they offered you PAS, you said "no thanks, I'm off ha ha!", economic climate changes, hold-pool closes down, you see empty bank account looming so duck back into the RAF to accept the PAS offer at the final bell. The terms of PAS are crystal clear - serve to 55 or PVR to get out. There is no Catch 22. The RAF can't just sign pilots on for random lengths of time just to tide said pilot over until the airlines pick up - that's of no use to them at all. That you already passed selection into BA is equally irrelevant. If after 12 months in the pool you have no course date, you have to redo selection, regardless of where you've been or who you are.

I took PAS because I thought I'd happily serve until 55+ in a job I enjoyed. Things change, job suddenly becomes dire, rubber dickings get handed out, other options get investigated. I now have to PVR to get out, as per my terms of service - I have no issue with that. Ultimately Manning are going to do everything they can to protect their "investments". If they want to keep fabulously experienced, wise and able PAS instructors like me then they are going to do whatever they can to stop me going (NB. "stop me going" as opposed to "keep me in" - a subtle yet traditionally RAF-esque difference). They aren't going to sanction an airline selection procedure that makes it easy to swerve my "contractual commitment" to age 55 - and who can blame them?

time2leave
9th Apr 2011, 07:19
Valid points. but I think we will see this from different views. Enjoy PAS especially if they do change the terms of the pension in 2015!

StopStart
9th Apr 2011, 08:46
:) Been PAS for 5 years - I'll be gone before the pension changes!
:ok:

Jambo Jet
9th Apr 2011, 10:11
If they want to keep fabulously experienced, wise and able PAS instructors like me then they are going to do whatever they can to stop me going

Yep the TOS are always going to favour the RAF and not the individual, however once you press that PVR button - Oh the relief!

You are just a number. The process will move on and someone else will just fill the $hitty jobs you've been dicked with. PVR is your choice, they will then release you when their rules allow and in the interests of the RAF, naturally!

Experience, wise and able mean jack in the big scheme; they are just reasons why any reasonable mate feels the RAF will be mad not to encourage him to stay. Someone else though will fill your shoes, and when you carry out the PVR, you will feel numb at the lack of interest in you.

The best part though is you've probably got a great alternative career to move on to, especially in the current climate.

Exodus anyone?

StopStart
9th Apr 2011, 18:13
I'm certainly under no illusions :) I've always said that one can compare leaving the RAF to taking one's hand out of a bath full of water. There will be no hole left, the level will go down imperceptibly and, once the one or two brief ripples have settled, no one will really notice you've gone. Obviously, you're just left with a slightly damp hand but I'm not quite sure where the analogy goes with that bit though..... :ok:

Biggus
9th Apr 2011, 18:51
I guess it depends on what temperature the bathwater was?

If the bathwater was cold, then your hand slowly warms up and drys, and you eventually feel better than you did with your hand in a bath of cold water.

If the bathwater was warm/hot, then your hand also slowly drys, but may feel, at least at first, colder than it was before, a change you initially regret. However, even that feeling will rapidly fade into simple normality....

...and if the bathwater was scalding hot, the simple act of removal itself is a blessed relief!

ottoVB
18th Apr 2011, 15:31
Please could somebody send me a copy of the GAI as well?

Cheers.

Shadow Boxer
30th Apr 2011, 22:14
Ditto, could do with the GAI or a tip on where to find it on the intranet. Are GAIs RAF-specific or Tri-Service?

BEagle
1st May 2011, 07:08
Sorry to hear that you're pulling the black-and-yellow, Stoppers. But there comes a time when all the duck-nibbling and bull$hit trips the high level switch, I guess...:uhoh:

If the RAF cannot retain people of your calibre and skill, god help them for the future.....:eek:

Chugalug2
1st May 2011, 08:12
From someone who PVR'd many many years ago, the only Managed Path outside is that of supply and demand. Civil airlines, including BA, are all hostage to that simple equation and no amount of policy, published procedures, or understandings with "Manning" will overcome that fact of life. As others have said, if you've decided that the Service is no longer the future for you then you have made your choice. Have the courage of your conviction and PVR if that is the only way out.
BA is not the by all and end all anyway. In my day it was just another form of government work but not any more though, and it is fast becoming just another "independent airline" with a future as unknown and risky as any. I had a rewarding and fulfilling career with other carriers, until BA gobbled us up. Having seen them from inside and out, I preferred the latter scenario but that is a personal choice as will yours be. Whatever it is, good luck!

FJ2ME
2nd Sep 2014, 05:04
Please could some one PM me the GAI and/or where to find it as I have no cinjection to DII on my current post and get no access to these documents. I'm particularly interested in the eligibility criteria.

Thanks

MSOCS
2nd Sep 2014, 21:48
Grateful for a PM of the GAI if anyone is kind enough to do so.

Feck
3rd Sep 2014, 19:59
OK, I give up. I've spent half an hour trying to find the GAI (*any* GAI for that matter) on the retarded cash cow that is DII. Fail. Steers please.

Ta,

F

MAD Boom
3rd Sep 2014, 22:10
Maybe finding the GAI is the first test...........

Rotate
6th Sep 2014, 17:31
Would someone be kind enough to also PM me the relevant bits of the GAI for the managed path?

I don't have access to them where I am! Thanks in anticipation.

5 Forward 6 Back
6th Sep 2014, 19:17
I found it the other day on DII. Started by clicking on "e-library" on the right side of the DII home page. Then clicked on "people," and then from the next page, "publications" on the left (still with me?).

In the related links box on the right of the next page was one for "RAF Publications." Followed that, and on the next page, you can look through the badly-formatted, non-alphabetical "links" section to find RAF GAIs....

The headlines are you must be aged 32 or over and on a PC to register for the scheme (GAI still talks about RAFCARS rather than Managed Path specifically). It implied in a flow chart that you won't have your name put forward to "participating airlines" by manning unless you have an ET exit date agreed, or you're within 1 year of a retirement date.

If anyone's interested in more specifics drop me a PM; it's marked "official-manning," and I don't understand the new classification scheme enough to know whether or not I can post it here....! :bored:

alfred_the_great
10th Sep 2014, 20:06
There was a DIN released today on this.

5 Forward 6 Back
10th Sep 2014, 21:01
... which adds a bit more meat to the stuff from the GAI I posted above.

You have to be on a PC, and be within 2 years of a "recognised exit point." If you're not, you can still apply as long as you applied for ET before 5 Sep 14. You also have to have 1500hrs on service aircraft. Tick those boxes and you can apply via managed path as opposed to DEP.

Looks like they actually do engage a fair bit on your behalf and smooth the transition from RAF to BA though.

Good luck to anyone who qualifies...! :ok:

lj101
10th Sep 2014, 21:16
Not the GAI but some info here;

British Airways Direct Entry Pilot Scheme open until 23 September | Pilot Career News (http://www.pilotcareernews.com/british-airways-direct-entry-pilot-scheme-open-until-23-september/)

Rotate
14th Sep 2014, 01:05
Some good info on here guys and girls thanks...

...but the reason that I requested a copy of the full GAI as a PM is that I do not have DII(F)/DII(S)/JPA/DIN access in my current role.

The partial copy of the GAI that I did manage to get a hold of makes no mention of being within 2 years of exit (ie in the flowchart). All it states is over 32 and on a PC with an agreed exit date.

Does anyone have the full GAI to hand that would be kind enough to PM over here so I can clrify a few points? :ok:

Thanks for any info.

Al-Berr
14th Sep 2014, 12:49
GAI 1028 AL6 does not mention Managed Path, it is purely RAFCARS. To qualify for RAFCARS you must be older than 32 and have a recognised exit date. Apply via the attached annex to manning.

2014DIN01-180 was released on 5 Sep and details the BA Managed Path Scheme. Here, you must be within 2 years of a recognised exit point and have 1500 hours on any service aircraft. Once you leave (not at point of applying) you must have a class 1 medical, at least EASA fATPL and an MCC. You can either apply to the scheme via the attached annex to manning or to BA directly during a recruitment period (like now!).

Hope that helps - I'm unable to upload any of the documents.

raytofclimb
28th Apr 2015, 13:09
Hi all, the Managed Path is open now. Not sure if it was closed since September 2014 but the requirements are as per the last post I'm pretty sure.

Does anyone know for sure that FO at Heathrow for several years is the only option for successful applicants? Could they potentially offer a northern base?

Thanks

Ray

Yellow Sun
28th Apr 2015, 13:58
Could they potentially offer a Northern base?

Ray, methinks that you need to do a bit of research about the company before you apply. BA have not had any out stations for 15-20 years. So, it will be LHR and probably short haul.

YS

Megaton
28th Apr 2015, 14:52
Heathrow is the Northern base!

StopStart
28th Apr 2015, 17:39
Northern base. Lol.

Most of the recruiting is onto the minibus at LHR however many of the military guys I know who have got in the recent rounds have gone to the 747 and 787. Do your research folks 👍🏻

MSOCS
28th Apr 2015, 20:37
SS,

Were those recent ex-Mil who went 747/787 Fast Jet or ME guys and girls?

My understanding is FJ tend to go A320 for "around 5 years" before the offer of LH is made. Clearly there are exceptions.

Megaton
28th Apr 2015, 20:59
Most recent joiner was ex-FJ and is starting his line training on the A320 about now. Most ex-FJ seem to go to the Airbus for probably at least 6 years as it currently stands.

SS,

Were those recent ex-Mil who went 747/787 Fast Jet or ME guys and girls?

My understanding is FJ tend to go A320 for "around 5 years" before the offer of LH is made. Clearly there are exceptions.

StopStart
28th Apr 2015, 21:55
They were all truckies who, I guess, qualify for ZFT. Base training on a 747 is a bit pricey and with enough ZFT qualified people around BA can get them online without having to circuit bash in a 747.

ShotOne
28th Apr 2015, 22:11
A good mate of mine who joined twelve years ago has been hoping since for a Northern base...which is now less even likely than ever!

thunderbird7
29th Apr 2015, 06:55
Recruitment onto the 74/78 has been more due to a f**k up in the numbers and to make the training system cope better rather than any logical reason!! As most of the flight managers sorting it out are ex RAF, you won't be surprised to learn it all trundles along in the same disjointed way...... ;)

There are no bases other than LHR and LGW and under the current regime, probably won't be any others (except perhaps a Madrid low cost base - cynic? Moi?).

wiggy
29th Apr 2015, 07:08
Guys/Girls(?)

...wot Thunderbird/Yellow Sun et. al. have said...everything .... including the comment about northern bases, you will be working out of LHR/LGW.

As an ex FJ BA DEP from a long long time ago may I offer the following observations in the interests of "managing expectations"...:ouch::

Your previous experience may determine the initial type you are offered when you join , usually due to ZFT requirements.

From that point on forget being "offered" anything, as in: "you've been in 5 years, we've looked at your records, you've an excellent background and training record, several Spec Recs.:rolleyes: .would you like to go to Long Haul"? ....BA doesn't work like that, it works something like this (apologies for teaching sucking eggs, etc, if it applies):

Fundamentally once you are "in" your FJ/Helicopter/Multi background will almost certainly mean f. all...you're now just a number on the master seniority list.

You can plan on being frozen on type for the first 5 years, unless the company needs to move you to a fleet of their choice. After freeze expiry you get an annual bid, where you have the opportunity to submit a bid for a seat/type change. The number of seats available to bid for is a function of the company's requirements for the forthcoming year. Most importantly, the bid is almost always based on seniority, which is determined solely by date of joining, though there have been exceptions, e.g. to the A380 where until recently previous Airbus experience was required.

Please, please, don't join BA on the A320 in the expectation that in five years time you will automatically be "offered" a slot on a long haul type...you'll be in the bidding queue for long haul seats behind the DEPs and the bright young early twenties FPPs who are joining today.

As a FWIW and IMHO, my idiot's guide to the fleets just in case you do get a choice on joining:
Join on the 787 and the world is your lobster (if you want longhaul).
777 best fleet of the lot IMHO but AFAIK not on offer...
Join on the 747 and you'll possibly be able to engineer being long haul for a long time/forever - as long as there isn't a sudden run down of the fleet.
Join on the 767 and who knows where you'll be in 5 years (shrinking fleet).
Join on the A320 and you'll be based LHR/LGW and probably be on shorthaul for X years, where X >=5 ( and to be honest could be >>>>5)

Hope that helps and good luck.

ChameleonEyes
21st Jun 2015, 11:27
Wiggy,

Are you suggesting there is potential for ex-mil rotary types to be recruited onto the BA Managed Path Scheme?

That would be pretty good news for some I know...

Tourist
22nd Jun 2015, 10:30
Yes rotary can do managed path

ChameleonEyes
22nd Jun 2015, 18:38
That's good to hear,

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this but would it be something that is tailored to the individual almost? For example, an ex-multi guy will require far less retraining than an ex rotary/FJ jockey.

Tourist
23rd Jun 2015, 11:40
You might think that, but no. The training is the same, as are the line training sectors. Traditionally the rotary find it no more difficult. As an aside, I found the Airbus easier to fly if you thought of the side stick as a Cyclic. It needs the same techniques as a helicopter rather than fixed wing to fly it smoothly.

p.s. Obviously the "rotary" chap will by the point he starts training with BA have his CPL (A) IR so will technically not be just rotary anymore.

ChameleonEyes
23rd Jun 2015, 19:12
Thats three months terminal leave taken up then!

The website doesn't list the prerequisites and quals for the managed path, could you shed any light on these? (Granted CPL(A) IR is reqd)

BBK
24th Jun 2015, 08:28
Hi CE

I'm not BA but another company that have recruited lots of ex mil and there's an aspect that I don't believe that anyone has mentioned and that is the concept of Zero Flight Time (ZFT) training. To qualify for ZFT one needs a number of hours on a "heavy"jet. I can't remember the exact number maybe 1000 hours on a jet say 25 tonnes. This allows the trainee to then be trained on a ZFT compatible sim which means that the "circuit bashing" is done on the sim and not the a/c which saves thousands.

I fly with a lot of ex mil who either flew multis so had the heavy time or had a period perhaps flying short haul so they qualified for ZFT. The point I'm making is that the actual course is probably the same whether you are ex Typhoon, Wokka or C17. The benefit to the airline is that the ZFT allows the trainee to bypass the base training in the real aircraft. If you join BA I imagine the course you undertake will be the same except you will need to go off and fly an hour(ish) of circuits to have the type put on your licence. I'm sure you're realising now in the civvy world it's all about money! Hope that helps and good luck.

Regards

BBK

ChameleonEyes
3rd Jul 2015, 11:54
BBK,

Hi there and thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of the ZFT concept. Being a twin engined wokka man, I wonder if I'd fit into that bracket?

I shall pose the question to the BA stand at the Leeds Armouries today!

CE

wiggy
3rd Jul 2015, 12:34
To qualify for ZFT one needs a number of hours on a "heavy"jet. I can't remember the exact number maybe 1000 hours on a jet say 25 tonnes.

Yep BBK's pretty much got it in one. Last time I looked the generic BA requirement to qualify for ZFT training was something like 2000+ hours total, with 1000+ on a transport category jet of >= 25 tonnes or, subject to head office approval, 1000 hours on a multi-crew turbo prop of =>50 tonnes.

May have changed of course so worth asking the question.

BEagle
3rd Jul 2015, 13:23
The Aircrew Regulation requirement for ZFTT is as follows:

FCL.730.A Specific requirements for pilots undertaking a zero flight time type rating (ZFTT) course — aeroplanes

(a) A pilot undertaking instruction at a ZFTT course shall have completed, on a multi-pilot turbo-jet aeroplane certificated to the standards of CS-25 or equivalent airworthiness code or on a multi-pilot turbo-prop aeroplane having a maximum certificated take-off mass of not less than 10 tonnes or a certificated passenger seating configuration of more than 19 passengers, at least:

(1) if an FFS qualified to level CG, C or interim C is used during the course, 1500 hours flight time or 250 route sectors;

(2) if an FFS qualified to level DG or D is used during the course, 500 hours flight time or 100 route sectors.

(b) When a pilot is changing from a turbo-prop to a turbo-jet aeroplane or from a turbo-jet to a turbo-prop aeroplane, additional simulator training shall be required.

It is possible that airlines may impose further restrictions on their ZFTT applicants.

wiggy
3rd Jul 2015, 16:09
It is possible that airlines may impose further restrictions on their ZFTT applicants.

You're absolutely correct Beags, the BA requirement's I mentioned are additional to those specified in FCL.730.A

ChameleonEyes
4th Jul 2015, 20:18
Thanks for the info guys.

Are there any age limits on applying for BA Managed Path? (If I was to push out my 22yrs, I'd be 43 on leaving the service).

I hear it's limited to 55?

CE

AutoBit
5th Jul 2015, 00:19
GAI 1028 is your friend. Just pop down to the UPO/PSF and ask them to get you a copy.